Author Topic: Has a book that you initally didn't like "grown" on you?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Has a book that you initally didn't like "grown" on you?
« on: September 16, 2015, 03:50:11 PM »
I think it is a rather well-known concept when it comes to music. At first you listen to a song and don't like it much. But eventually, after a few listenings perhaps, it starts to "grow" on you, and you really start to like it.

Has that happened to you when it comes to books? Please tell about it.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Has a book that you initally didn't like "grown" on you?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »
The Silmarillion.  Tried it at 15 or so, and couldn't get through the creation myth at the front, put it down.  Tried it again at 22 or so, fell in love.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 04:22:57 PM »
Intersting to note, maybe, that I had almost the exact reverse of that with latter-day Heinlein.  Loved them the first time I read them in my late teens, but didn't really like them at all upon rereading in my 30s.  (I still love early and mid-career Heinlein, I'm talking about later stuff like To Sail Beyond the Sunset or Number of the Beast)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 05:19:32 PM »
It took me several tries at intervals of a year or three, to read Dostoyevsky's The Idiot. The first few times it was so dull I couldn't get past the first few pages. Then one time I picked it up and couldn't put it down, and I loved it. Had the same experience with The Brothers Karamazov, except that I got into it the second time, rather than the 4th or 5th.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 09:53:41 PM »
I'm a bit embarrassed by mine - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

When I first tried reading that, I found it too strange (despite loving the whole of the HitchHikers Guide series). Fortunately, I tried again and loved it.
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 10:12:19 PM »
Any choose your own adventure book.  It usually starts out way too short and I get eaten by a dragon.  Then a few reads later I've saved the kingdom.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 10:37:18 PM »
The Silmarillion.  Tried it at 15 or so, and couldn't get through the creation myth at the front, put it down.  Tried it again at 22 or so, fell in love.

Ye gourds. I think I've tried that one 15 times, and have never made it past the begats. Even by skipping them.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 06:02:59 PM »

Can quite imagine that.

When I was around 12 or 13, the LOTR movies came out and were hitting big. I wanted to read the books. I kinda lost it and the half of The Return of the King. I will (re)read them all, one day... At least that's the ambition.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 06:09:42 PM »
Intersting to note, maybe, that I had almost the exact reverse of that with latter-day Heinlein.  Loved them the first time I read them in my late teens, but didn't really like them at all upon rereading in my 30s.  (I still love early and mid-career Heinlein, I'm talking about later stuff like To Sail Beyond the Sunset or Number of the Beast)

Exactly the same for me.
I guess I was more critical when I read them at an older age.
Also ashamed to admit I liked "Battlefield Earth" at 14, and couldn't bare to read it again at 18. Maybe it's because I knew who stood behind it then, but even then, still - it's just really, epic-ly bad.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 06:39:24 PM »
When I was around 12 or 13, the LOTR movies came out and were hitting big. I wanted to read the books. I kinda lost it and the half of The Return of the King. I will (re)read them all, one day... At least that's the ambition.

I probably read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy when I was 19 or 20, something over a decade after their publication. I decided not to see the movies when they came out because I saw no point in spoiling such a magnificent epic fantasy by seeing how Hollywood would trash it. I'm not sure there's ever been a decent movie made from a great book. I made the mistake of watching The Golden Compass, after having read the book and its two sequels, because I love Nicole Kidman, but even she could not save that movie. The book was wonderful. (The sequels were good, but not as good.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »
Not a book. A play. Hamlet. I couldn't stand anything Shakespeare related in school. The language was too arcane. But I watched it performed many times, re-read it many times. Became familiar with the terms.

I love it now.
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 01:14:21 PM »
I have the breaking strain of a toothpick when it comes to books Im not enjoying. I feel like life is too short to spend it reading something Im not enjoying so I dont think Ive ever persevered with a book I didnt like after 100 or so pages.

Offline pandadeath

• Triskaidekaphilic
    • pandadeath.com
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 04:59:33 PM »
Star Rover by Jack London.  I still kind of hate it and love it at the same time. 
Shameless plug: www.pandadeath.com

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 08:40:13 PM »
The Catcher In The Rye. Hated it when I was in high school, now I think it's one of the best and in its way truest books I've ever read.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:24:51 AM by Johnny Slick »
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 08:47:59 PM »
The Catcher In The Rye. Hated it when I was in high school, now I think it's one of the best and in its way truest books I've ever written.

I KNEW you where JD Salinger this whole time.

personate-rain
personate-rain