Author Topic: Rugby World Cup  (Read 4641 times)

Offline approx.purified

• Not Enough Spare Time
Rugby World Cup
« on: September 20, 2015, 05:16:01 AM »
Anyone taking an interest in this on here?

I haven't been able to watch any games live yet due to travelling over the past couple of days.  I was gutted that I wasn't able to see a massive shock unfold yesterday as Japan beat two-times winners South Africa 34-32.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34269878

It is the first time that Japan have won a game at the World Cup since 1991.  The first World Cup I remember watching was in 1995 and one of the moments in that tournament was New Zealand destroying them 145-17.  This is without question the biggest upset in the tournaments history. 

I'll be heading down to Newcastle next month for Scotland v Samoa.  We're in the same group as Japan and South Africa so yesterdays result will be food for thought.  We've also got the USA in our group and they kick off their campaign against Samoa later today.

Offline Peace Bunny

• Seasoned Contributor
    • New Music Transmission
Re: Rugby World Cup
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 06:08:36 AM »
I'm enjoying it, as an English/Welsh person living in Ireland with Scottish family I have plenty of horses to back... Go teams.
Get used to it honey. From now on, we'll be spelling everything with letters.

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 03:24:27 PM »
loving it! :) and Argentina gave the All Blacks a slight worry today. It's good to see how increasing professionalism in the lower tiered nations is meaning that you're not always guaranteed a whitewash when Tier I nations take on Tier II. Just hope that Japan haven't taken too much out of themselves with their next match on Wednesday. Then again, beating South Africa, don't think it matters! When they went for the win, rather than kicking for the draw... that was gutsy, and man did they deserve the win!

Offline Rabbit

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 12:49:22 AM »
I'm Irish (second ranked team) and my only brother-in-law is a Kiwi (first ranked team). I just want to see us beat them. Other than that I've not a lot of interest. But the Japan win was great to see.

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »
I got my heart broken last time, can't really do it this time.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline approx.purified

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 05:42:33 PM »
Japan couldn't repeat the heroics of a few days ago as we beat them 45-10 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34312611

A good win as from what I read (missed the game due to work) we started pretty poorly but improved late in the second to rack up the tries to get a bonus point win.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 10:30:31 PM »
Ritchie has a bit of making up to do.... even the very best can make an error, it seems.  If the AB's repeat the last cup's result, he'll be Sir Ritchie.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline approx.purified

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 05:58:29 PM »
Another interesting result tonight.  England lost 28-25 to Wales in the "Group of Death".  Both teams had won their opening game but both teams have to face Australia in the coming weeks.  England looked comfortable for large periods of the game but in the final 20 minutes or so the Welsh came to life.  The try that pulled them level was a brilliant piece of creativity.

England face the real possibility of crashing out of World Cup at the group stage now.  Their game against Australia is massive now.

Offline approx.purified

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »
Tomorrow is Scotland v USA.  It should be a very comfortable win for us against the Americans ;)

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »
I'm not saying I was sitting on the edge of my bed during the Wales/England match, but I totally was!!

And with three more injuries I can't see Wales realistically beating Australia, which means England really do need to win against Australia... otherwise they could be the first host nation of the Rugby World Cup to fail to make it from the pool stage!

Also, how well did Canada do against Italy!!

Offline approx.purified

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »
England became the first ever host nation to fall in the group stages after losing to Australia 33-13 last night.

Scotland lost to South Africa yesterday but our destiny in still in our own hands after wins over Japan and USA.  Samoa for us next Saturday and I'll be heading down to Newcastle to see it.  Can't wait!

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »
Steve gave an interesting and encouraging interview (for us Kiwis).  I hope he is correct.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 03:19:48 PM »
Pool B and C have still not been fully determined.

I really hope Japan makes it to the quarter finals.

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »

I'll be tough, they require either South Africa to lose to the USA, or Scotland to lose to Samoa. But they've shown promise (I do recall watching the game where the All Blacks put +140 points past them), and in a nice group at their home tournament in 2019 I can certainly see them progressing!

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 10:19:52 PM »
Pool B and C have still not been fully determined.

The AB's (pool C) are in the quarter finals even if they lose to Tonga. 

There are  a few Kiwis on the team and the boss is an Aussie...

personate-rain
personate-rain