Author Topic: Rugby World Cup  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
Re: Rugby World Cup
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »
so it's new zealand playing australia... how original.

If we make it, We Aussies wouldn't want it any other way. Beat the best or try again next time.
I still think the All Blacks deserve it, this time. But hey, if we beat them I hope it is by playing to our best and not for some stupid referee.

May the best side win.  :D

But first we have to get over a plucky Argentina. They won't be any pushover.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:20:06 PM by Tassie Dave »

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2015, 01:10:23 AM »
so it's new zealand playing australia... how original.

May the best side win.  :D

If you do beat the ABs, you could always poach our coach... again.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2015, 12:01:08 PM »
The haka.  it's all on.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:49:27 PM by lonely moa »

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2015, 12:19:43 PM »
What a ridiculous time to start a major game. 3 f...ing AM  ;)

One thing I've never understood. Why does Australia just stand and look at the All Black Haka.
Sneer, growl, turn your backs and ignore it. Just don't stand there and leave it unanswered.

Just for a laugh I'd love to see the Aussies do an "I'm a little teapot" version of the Haka ;D While the All Blacks are performing.  >:D

May the best team win.  :)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »
One thing I've never understood. Why does Australia just stand and look at the All Black Haka.
Sneer, growl, turn your backs and ignore it. Just don't stand there and leave it unanswered.

respect.--if you don't show it they'll just get pissed off and fucking destroy you instead of having a casual old game.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »
Two foul hits on Dan.  That's a no-no.

Try in the last minutes, way to go.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »
can this be watched online? I might take a peak if so
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »
respect.--if you don't show it they'll just get pissed off and fucking destroy you instead of having a casual old game.

There are no casual games when Australia play New Zealand at any sport. It is always played at a ferocious pace. The Kiwis don't need any provoking for them to try and destroy us.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Haka. But why is 1 side allowed to try and psychologically intimidate their opponent and the other side is supposed to just stand there and take it.
The idea of answering the Haka would be to hopefully rattle them.  ;D

I am sure when the Haka was originally done before a maori battle, the opposition wasn't standing there and looking on.  ;)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »
Congratulations New Zealand.

They were the best side throughout the tournament and deserved to win.

At least the Aussies made it competitive for a while.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2015, 01:54:46 PM »
An exceptionally good game to watch.  Lots of great play from all.

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2015, 07:25:13 PM »
What a ridiculous time to start a major game. 3 f...ing AM  ;)

Just for a laugh I'd love to see the Aussies do an "I'm a little teapot" version of the Haka ;D While the All Blacks are performing.  >:D

May the best team win.  :)

There have been responses to the Haka, both France and Ireland have paced towards the AB's finishing nose-to-nose. I think that World Rugby have since brought in a fine if a team crosses the halfway line. Even though I'm totally biased, this Welsh response is my favourite...

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2015, 12:18:44 AM »
There have been responses to the Haka, both France and Ireland have paced towards the AB's finishing nose-to-nose. I think that World Rugby have since brought in a fine if a team crosses the halfway line. Even though I'm totally biased, this Welsh response is my favourite...

That is more like what I want to see. That's perfect. It is intimidating without being disrespectful. I am surprised more teams don't respond.
Respect the tradition and the team. But show some intimidation.
I was being a bit cheeky when I suggested doing something while the Haka was being performed, but waiting until it's over would be perfect.

I don't want Australia to adopt what they did over 100 years ago and do an Aboriginal war cry.
It was hated by the players at the time and would not be accepted by the indigenous community.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2015, 05:00:25 AM »

That is more like what I want to see. That's perfect. It is intimidating without being disrespectful. I am surprised more teams don't respond.
Respect the tradition and the team. But show some intimidation.
I was being a bit cheeky when I suggested doing something while the Haka was being performed, but waiting until it's over would be perfect.

I don't want Australia to adopt what they did over 100 years ago and do an Aboriginal war cry.
It was hated by the players at the time and would not be accepted by the indigenous community.

yea, that sounds less appropriate, and more akin to the US using 'redskins' and 'the braves' for their team names, especially when you consider how the aboriginals have been treated and regarded for decades. whereas Maori are big players (in every sense) in kiwi rugby, rather than mere marginalized minorities in the vicinity whose cultural property is being coopted for symbolic value by _others_, so it's nice that, along with their contribution to our strength as a team, a bit of their culture gets to come with them into our game, seems almost like a mutual respect thing, 'you like doing our thing, we like doing your thing, let's do it all together'...melting pot n shit.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:03:18 AM by GodSlayer »

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2015, 06:30:42 AM »
That was an excellent final.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2015, 06:32:16 AM »

The Australians could throw cans of Fosters at the enemy.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin