Author Topic: Rugby World Cup  (Read 4283 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rugby World Cup
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2015, 07:39:33 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I love the Haka. But why is 1 side allowed to try and psychologically intimidate their opponent and the other side is supposed to just stand there and take it.

I was considering this exact thing as I watched the game. It's conceivably a real advantage.
Maybe we could balance it out by making the All Blacks have a pink locker room?
http://thevisualcommunicationguy.com/2013/07/27/pink-paint-used-to-win-football-games-and-calm-prison-inmates/

I cant find the original study so I have no idea if the effect is any more real than the full moon myth, but its interesting.
If true and applicable to dancing and shouting, it could make the haka worth restricting?

Personally Im still utterly baffled as to why it could have a positive effect for NZ but Ive accepted that anything with the word quantum in the title or inflated balls in the rules are just beyond me.

I've heard 'pastel colors' are used for soft science reasons, not pink specifically
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2015, 12:16:32 PM »
[quote author=Tassie Dave link=topic=45193.msg9356822#msg9356822 date=1446413473

OK New Zealand beat us in their national sport. Now it is time for then to play us at out national sport.
As much as I hate us losing to them at Rugby Union, I would be devastated if they won the Trans-Tasman Trophy, which we've held since 1994.
[/quote]

The Black Caps aren't doing well in the first test.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2019, 12:16:30 PM »
Don't really want to start a new thread for my trivial questions, hope you don't mind.

Being in the USA, rugby is somewhat obscure here. Regarding Rugby Union and Rugby League, can players of the one code drop into a game of the other code without much of a transition? Also, for a couple of reasons, I'd like to follow Top 14 from France, but it seems I need a vpn and a Canal+ Sports package on top of a basic subscription. That's a lot of cash. Any other way to watch? I think I'd enjoy this sport.

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2019, 01:40:41 PM »
Players can, and do, switch codes, though this is easier to do for the positions that have similar playing styles. The lack of rucks, mauls and scrums (proper scrums) in league means that a forward would have to learn/unlearn more, than a back making the switch to union. And of course, if you've spent most of your life playing one style you have to remember that some things you might do almost automatically might well earn the other team a penalty in the other.

And USA qualified for the 2019 Rugby World Cup, so hopefully you'll get some coverage, at some point, somewhere. The World Rugby website streams some international matches (I watched the repechage matches on their website), depending on local coverage.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2019, 10:27:43 PM »
Being in the USA, rugby is somewhat obscure here. Regarding Rugby Union and Rugby League, can players of the one code drop into a game of the other code without much of a transition?

It happens a bit in Australia. It takes a bit of time to adjust. But not too long.

It is harder to go from a completely different code like League/Union to Aussie Rules or vice versa. Most times it has been done has been purely advertising and marketing reasons
(i.e. Getting a recognised Rugby player into an Aussie Rules team that is playing in a Rugby State. QLD & NSW are Rugby states [mainly League, but also Union] Vic, SA, WA & Tas are Aussie Rules states.

Israel Folau is the most famous convert. He went from League to Aussie Rules & then to Union. Representing Australia in both League and Union. He was pretty shit at Aussie Rules  ;)

I'm not too confident of Australia's chances at this year's World Cup. We are in the middle of our worst run in modern Rugby history. A top 4 finish would be a shock. Even top 8 might be a stretch  ???

I expect All Blacks to win. Possibly playing Ireland in the final.

I'd love to see Ireland win it.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2019, 12:51:11 AM »

The ABs were a bit slack with Ireland lately.  Last go for Steve this round.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2019, 09:25:32 AM »
So Dave, do you follow both AFL and NRL? It would be easy for me to watch NRL online (SS Rabbitohs!), but my free time is non-existent during the AFL season. Footy obsesses me.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2019, 02:56:18 PM »
So Dave, do you follow both AFL and NRL? It would be easy for me to watch NRL online (SS Rabbitohs!), but my free time is non-existent during the AFL season. Footy obsesses me.

No, the only football competitions I follow are the AFL, AFLW, A-League (Australian soccer) (Sydney FC) and the EPL (Arsenal)

The same as you, I don't have the free time during AFL footy season to follow the NRL and Super 15 Rugby. I do keep an eye on how my teams Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Rebels are going though.

I will watch the Wallabies (Australia's Rugby Union team) games.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2019, 03:02:29 PM »
Can games be watched online?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »
Can games be watched online?

I've no idea.  ??? They have always been shown on "free to air" channels here.

I doubt there would be an easy option for all their games online for non-Australians.

Offline Bessantj

• Brand New
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »
I see it's Japan v Russia for the opener. Guess they wanted an obvious win for Japan.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2019, 08:07:21 PM »
I see it's Japan v Russia for the opener. Guess they wanted an obvious win for Japan.

Good way to keep the Japanese crowds interested. They are unlikely to advance out of Pool A. Ireland and Scotland should be 1 and 2

and Samoa will be a hard team for them to get past. So a Day 1 win against Russia may be as good as it gets for Japan.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2019, 10:51:56 PM »
Being in the USA, rugby is somewhat obscure here. Regarding Rugby Union and Rugby League, can players of the one code drop into a game of the other code without much of a transition?

It happens a bit in Australia. It takes a bit of time to adjust. But not too long.

It is harder to go from a completely different code like League/Union to Aussie Rules or vice versa. Most times it has been done has been purely advertising and marketing reasons
(i.e. Getting a recognised Rugby player into an Aussie Rules team that is playing in a Rugby State. QLD & NSW are Rugby states [mainly League, but also Union] Vic, SA, WA & Tas are Aussie Rules states.

Israel Folau is the most famous convert. He went from League to Aussie Rules & then to Union. Representing Australia in both League and Union. He was pretty shit at Aussie Rules  ;)

I'm not too confident of Australia's chances at this year's World Cup. We are in the middle of our worst run in modern Rugby history. A top 4 finish would be a shock. Even top 8 might be a stretch  ???

At least they might do better than they did in test cricket.  Losing to India at home....  At least, there was a win against Sri Lanka.  I was wondering if it might be possible to invite Holland to play a test series in Australia?
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2019, 11:12:08 PM »

At least they might do better than they did in test cricket.  Losing to India at home....  At least, there was a win against Sri Lanka.  I was wondering if it might be possible to invite Holland to play a test series in Australia?

The Netherlands doesn't have Test playing status yet. Ireland and Afghanistan do. We "might" be able to beat them  ;)

We had a good run. We were near unbeatable for 20 years. It's our time to struggle a bit until the next batch of cricketers come through.

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2019, 06:33:36 AM »

Good way to keep the Japanese crowds interested. They are unlikely to advance out of Pool A. Ireland and Scotland should be 1 and 2

and Samoa will be a hard team for them to get past. So a Day 1 win against Russia may be as good as it gets for Japan.

Should be... but I do remember that awesome victory agaist South Africa that Japan pulled off at the last world cup... not kicking for the tying penalty in the last minute, but going for a try and getting it!

This is the last 10 minutes of the match... it's a cracking watch!

personate-rain