Author Topic: Anti-Virus Question - Worth it to upgrade  (Read 784 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Anti-Virus Question - Worth it to upgrade
« on: September 20, 2015, 09:25:51 PM »
Periodically, Avast gives me offers where I can get it for $15 or other similar low prices. Is it worth it to upgrade?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Anti-Virus Question - Worth it to upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 09:46:47 PM »
Any time I've investigated the 'pro' versions of free antivirus programs I've concluded that they were mostly offering a bunch of useless bloat. The basic free version plus Windows Firewall and Windows Defender should be all you need.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 09:48:30 PM »
That is kind of what I have always heard. . . .I know that I used to use Norton's and it has a lot of bloat and actually slowed my computer down significantly.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 09:50:05 PM »
I've switched my mom's and my in-laws' computers to BitDefender.  I find its the leanest, and it gets good reviews.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell