Author Topic: Phone Chargers  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Phone Chargers
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »
I thought these wireless dock things were taking over

No. Theyre kind of popular in a "niche market" sort of way, but theyre generally way to much hassle for general users. Have to put the phone on the dock juuust right or it wont work and you get up in the morning to find your phone flat. Ive got one and used it for about 3 days before deciding it was less effort to just plug it in.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline andy o

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 05:48:52 AM »
I'm just happy to hear people still have plug-in chargers. I thought these wireless dock things were taking over (last phone I had had an annoying case you'd have to remove in order to do a wired transfer or charge. seems like a super dumb design to me, but I guess watertightness is a more important facet to some phone users.
What phone was that?

I've been using Wireless (Qi) charging since the Nexus 4, it's always served me well. Since QC 2.0 I don't use it as much though, cause it's comparatively very slow, but I still put my Nexus 6 on the wireless charger at night when going to bed. All Nexus phones since the N4, and the 2013 N7 tablet, had integrated Qi charging, no nonsensical Qi case, though they do sell those for some phones like iPhones and other out-of-the-box incompatible ones, and that does seem like a nuisance. Some Samsung phones had official backplates though, but that was an extra cost.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 06:49:51 AM »
I'm just happy to hear people still have plug-in chargers. I thought these wireless dock things were taking over (last phone I had had an annoying case you'd have to remove in order to do a wired transfer or charge. seems like a super dumb design to me, but I guess watertightness is a more important facet to some phone users.
What phone was that?

Sony Xperia something.
Sony also make a few 'Aqua' models or something, so it seems like the whole 'water safe' concept is a larger concern for them than convenience.
I'm clearly not their market, because I like to plug in my phone every day, for charging and data transfers.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline andy o

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 11:14:23 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen a Sony phone that required a case for Qi charging, but Xperia phones are a bit difficult to find here in the US except for the Z series, which even those are not easy to get for months after release. But Sony has been making water resistant devices just fine with micro USB ports though, I have a Sony Smartwatch 3 right now, and the USB port is one of its best features IMO (the other Android Wear watches usually have proprietary docks). I have also seen an Xperia Z3 which was waterproof and also had a USB port.

Sony recently had to change their "waterproof" stance though, I think may be because users weren't using properly their phones which required the ports to be properly sealed.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »
About that, Sony recently went back on the "Water resistance" claims, to the point where some of their advertisements are now legally misleading.
They basically said "Well yeah, in theory - in lab conditions, sure, theoretically... But don't use your phone underwater or you'll void your warranty!"
Or as G.I. Jose said: "You can hit your friends on the head with it, but don't hit your friends on the head with it!"

And I actually side with them on this one. Technically speaking, IP67 certification only works in certain depths for certain amounts of time.
Unless it has an internal sensor that measures depth and water exposure time - which I'm sure it doesn't - anyone can claim warranty for water damages even if they DID operate outside the specifications, because who the fuck know?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:22:35 AM by Ambious »
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline andy o

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »
Yeah, it's likely about liability against users that don't understand the IP ratings. And who can blame them, really. When I was a kid I remember having a watch that was water resistant "50m", it got water in while washing it in the sink (or maybe it was a pool, who knows with this memory thing). Thing is that in real world use, shit happens, and for example if you're moving it around underwater, the pressures change considerably too.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 05:03:56 AM »
They basically said "Well yeah, in theory - in lab conditions, sure, theoretically... But don't use your phone underwater or you'll void your warranty!"

LOL, yea. I heard of people who sent them in to be replaced, and they were told 'naa, we tested it and it's good, so it must've been your fault'.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »
And I actually side with them on this one. Technically speaking, IP67 certification only works in certain depths for certain amounts of time.

Here's the thing, though: they should not be allowed to get the benefits of claiming water resistance and simultaneously refuse to back up those claims. 
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain