Author Topic: ARK: Survival Evolved  (Read 5121 times)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
ARK: Survival Evolved
« on: October 12, 2015, 01:23:28 AM »
ARK: Survival Evolved

This game is awesome.  You start naked on a beach on an island populated with dinosaurs.  Now survive.

I've been playing single player, and its fine, but would love to play Multiplayer.  I looked at setting up a server, but the server requirements are quite high, but there are a ton of free servers.  I thought we might create an SGUF Tribe on an agreed upon server.

I'm not into pvp, and there is PvE server #333 that matches my Steam screenname (wastrel333).  Anyone down to make a tribe sometime?

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 04:20:23 AM »
I'm down, I have been playing on and off, its a fantastic game.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 04:50:43 AM »
I've been thinking of getting into the game. If the tribe could accomodate my Central European Timezone schedule, I might be interested.
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:53:46 AM »
You describe a fun game! Probably not gonna be into multi-playing, but I will pick this up for my upcoming weeks off.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 04:08:27 AM »
I would not be interested in a public server where we are in a tribal war with others.  War on Dinoback sounds fun but I generally suck at any kind of PVP game. I would be more interested in a private SGU Island (server) where we can help each other and admire each others builds similar to a minecraft game. 

The Island is certainly big enough for us to share. One of the benefits to being in a tribe is that you gain a little experience every time a member of your tribe does. Also some large Dinos are supposed to be close to impossible to take down on your own at normal difficulty. It would be ok to have PVP enabled with strict rules so we can have mock battles amongst ourselves if we so choose.

Offline wastrel

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 10:43:22 AM »
 I looked at a private server, but ARK is not optimized and it takes a hefty box to run it.

I agree 100% pvp does not interest me in the slightest. PvE  is much more my speed

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
I got the game, and oh gosh, the optimisation is terrible.

Are excessive loading times normal?
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline wastrel

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 08:55:39 PM »
I got the game, and oh gosh, the optimisation is terrible.

Are excessive loading times normal?

Initial load is a nightmare for single player, and lag spikes abound.  It is Early Access to be sure.

One reason I want to start playing MP is to allow a dedficated server to pick up the reseouces required to render the island. 

Offline wastrel

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 11:57:21 PM »
Playing on the Official PvE server 333 tonight.  Been fun starting over.  I forgot how many times you die in the early level.s

Offline wastrel

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
Dino Babies & Breeding!

We are very excited to announce our first pass of creature breeding and baby dinosaurs being pushed to the live game! Survivors will be given the opportunity to pair two members of the same species together, even across Tribes if you’ve got a particularly well endowed creature, and the resulting offspring will have random selection of traits from both parents, along with a degree of arbitrary mutation! Your new tiny friends will grow dynamically in real time and will need to be cared for to reach their ultimate potential.

You’ll be able to selectively breed for your desired qualities and we hope to see some hardcore survivors progressively raising generations of Dinosaurs that have more refined collections of high-end traits than that which could ever be found in the wild - though be warned survivors, as this rewarding process cannot be accomplished with minimal effort. With the dangers that exist in the ARK, incubating an egg and then raising a small helpless baby Dino in real-time from hatchling to adult is no tiny task! Good luck Survivors ;)!

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 10:04:47 AM »
I jumped on 333 the other day for a few minutes. Wherever I spawned was filled with other players buildings and I had trouble finding a place to camp. I think I would still be more comfortable with our own.  I have a server that will probably work but there is always a chance I need to pull it for work reasons. If I did it would only be for a day or two.  I have never set up a game server but it cant be that hard. If that is unacceptable or if it is not fast enough I looked into renting one and they are available for around $30 a month ready to go with ARK. I would be willing to cover some of that if others want to chip in. https://www.gameservers.com/ 

Offline wastrel

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 11:12:18 AM »
I jumped on 333 the other day for a few minutes. Wherever I spawned was filled with other players buildings and I had trouble finding a place to camp. I think I would still be more comfortable with our own.  I have a server that will probably work but there is always a chance I need to pull it for work reasons. If I did it would only be for a day or two.  I have never set up a game server but it cant be that hard. If that is unacceptable or if it is not fast enough I looked into renting one and they are available for around $30 a month ready to go with ARK. I would be willing to cover some of that if others want to chip in. https://www.gameservers.com/

I'm down, and can help admin it if need be.  What's the specs on your box?  Need at least 6GB RAM (preferably 8) and 20 GB storage, maybe more to accomodate future updates.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 12:42:46 PM »
Will an I-7 3.4 ghz processor work (cant remember the exact number) or do we need a xenon?

It has 16g of ram, plenty of storage on SSD. Its running Mint at the moment but I can put ubuntu or whatever is necessary on there, I'm only using it as a home media server which is kinda overkill and I can easily build something else for that purpose. I'm getting 50 down and 20 up with a cable connection.  I will need the admin help for sure as I am no where near a network guy.

I'll give better specs when I get home tonight, I cant remember exactly what all I put in there.

Offline wastrel

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 12:53:42 AM »
Will an I-7 3.4 ghz processor work (cant remember the exact number) or do we need a xenon?

It has 16g of ram, plenty of storage on SSD. Its running Mint at the moment but I can put ubuntu or whatever is necessary on there, I'm only using it as a home media server which is kinda overkill and I can easily build something else for that purpose. I'm getting 50 down and 20 up with a cable connection.  I will need the admin help for sure as I am no where near a network guy.

I'll give better specs when I get home tonight, I cant remember exactly what all I put in there.

I think your home server is more than adequate, and I'm more than happy to help set it up.

The only drawback to using a home line is a shifting IP address, if you do not pay the extra for a static IP address from your ISP.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 10:30:01 PM »
Private server "SGU_333 Skeptics Guide to The Island" is now live

The server is currently in test mode until we get all of our settings correct.

Because Steam can not keep up with all the unofficial servers you will not find it on the server list. There are easy instructions for joining.

send me a PM and I will forward you the information and a password

we currently have 35 slots per session available to SGU Forum members and close friends

personate-rain
personate-rain