Author Topic: Not The Onion: Insane true news-stories  (Read 12076 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: Not The Onion: Insane true news-stories
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2016, 08:12:10 AM »
Samoans wonder if hail storm is some kind of prank.

"Because it was so unexpected a lot of people thought it had been invented. We had to release satellite images of the conditions that led to the hail for people to believe it was real,"

Also, roadkill couture:

(click to show/hide)
Mooohn!

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2017, 04:07:16 PM »
Pennsylvania prisons stop using food loaves to punish inmates

https://www.rt.com/usa/368220-prison-loaf-solitary-pennsylvania/

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2017, 12:15:31 PM »
Defense lawyer’s pants catch fire during trial in Miami

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/03/09/defense-lawyer-pants-catch-fire-during-trial-miami/qXtuRQzbRXsnda0G6jyJON/story.html

Witnesses told the Miami Herald 28-year-old Stephen Gutierrez was fiddling in his pocket Wednesday while addressing jurors when smoke started billowing from his pants. At the time, he was arguing that his client’s car spontaneously combusted and wasn’t intentionally set on fire.
...When he laughed, respectable senators burst with laughter,
And when he cried the little children died in the streets.
-Epitaph on a Tyrant

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2017, 05:21:18 AM »
Wondering if there is any way an appellate attorney can use what happened as an argument to put aside the verdict.   
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2017, 08:01:00 AM »
Mooohn!

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2017, 04:46:16 PM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/father-raped-lesbian-daughter-sex-better-with-men-warwick-crown-court-a7612131.html

Father who raped his gay daughter to prove ‘sex was better with men’ jailed for 21 years

A father who raped his gay daughter to prove “sex was better with men” has been jailed for 21 years.

The attack on the 16-year-old happened after she had confided to him that she was struggling with her identity – he responded with “uncontrolled” anger.

The 54-year-old has not been named to protect the victim’s identity and Warwick Crown Court heard that two other of his daughters have suffered abuse from him across two decades.

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »
Ah, HA HA HA.
Arkansas' Ten Commandments Monument Lasted Less Than 24 Hours

Less than a day after a monument of the Ten Commandments was installed outside the Arkansas State Capitol in Little Rock, it was destroyed when a man smashed a car into the stone.

A video that appears to have been taken from inside the car was posted on the Facebook account of a Michael Reed early Wednesday. It shows what looks like the Arkansas State Capitol building. A man's voice says "Oh my goodness. Freedom!" as the car careers into the monument.

An extremely similar incident happened at the Oklahoma Capitol in 2014: A man drove his car into a Ten Commandments monument, shattering it. That driver was also identified as Michael T. Reed of Van Buren, Ark.
...When he laughed, respectable senators burst with laughter,
And when he cried the little children died in the streets.
-Epitaph on a Tyrant

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »
Pennsylvania prisons stop using food loaves to punish inmates

https://www.rt.com/usa/368220-prison-loaf-solitary-pennsylvania/

The Nutraloaf ‒ a brown slab of a baked combination of rice, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, oatmeal and beans ‒ has been dropped from food menus in Pennsylvania prisons. The loaf was used as punishment for inmate misconduct.

I'd have been overjoyed to have gotten that while I was in disciplinary segregation in prison. (Sandstone FCI does not have solitary: Disiplinary segregation is two-man cells.) They refused to give me a meatless diet, so I subsisted mostly on the high-fat, sugary desserts and very small portions of veggies and some bread. That Nutraloaf would have been very welcome and much healthier.

(I ate well enough when I was in general population because at the dining hall, although servings of meat and desserts were limited, they let me have all the veggies I wanted.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »
US Woman shoots boyfriend in youtube stunt... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40438207

Monalisa Perez, 19, was booked into county jail after shooting at Pedro Ruiz as he held a book to his chest, believing it would stop the bullet.

The couple's three-year-old child and nearly 30 onlookers watched as she fired the fatal bullet into his chest.

Ruiz's aunt said they did it to increase their social media following.

Claudia Ruiz told WDAY-TV that her nephew had told her he wanted to do the stunt "because we want more viewers, we want to get famous"

County Attorney James Brue described the book as a hardcover encyclopaedia, and said the weapon used was a .50-calibre Desert Eagle handgun.

Police have seized two cameras, which are said to have recorded Monday's incident.

The single gunshot was fired from about one foot (30cm) away as neighbours gathered to watch outside their Minnesota home.

Offline John Albert

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
US Woman shoots boyfriend in youtube stunt... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40438207

That's some William S. Burroughs-level tragic foolishness. 

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2017, 10:15:50 PM »
I came here to post that article.  The idiots used a .50 cal handgun, which fires a 1/2" bullet with about 2,000 joules of energy.  If they'd tried the stunt with a .22 (~190 J) it might have worked.  But of course they'd still be idiots.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2017, 10:47:41 AM »
Damn, some people are stupid!
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2017, 08:23:36 PM »
I came here to post that article.  The idiots used a .50 cal handgun, which fires a 1/2" bullet with about 2,000 joules of energy.  If they'd tried the stunt with a .22 (~190 J) it might have worked.  But of course they'd still be idiots.

I have seen phone book tests of the .50 A&E and they go through several feet of books if I am remembering correctly.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2017, 09:03:14 PM »

I have seen phone book tests of the .50 A&E and they go through several feet of books if I am remembering correctly.

That would not surprise me.  The only real purpose of such a weapon is as a backup weapon when hunting large game.  It's not really practical for target shooting or self-defense.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell