Author Topic: Not The Onion: Insane true news-stories  (Read 20170 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Re: Not The Onion: Insane true news-stories
« Reply #225 on: February 27, 2018, 04:34:11 PM »
The Kim Wall murder trial has started now. From what I can read in the news, the prosecutor states that Peter Madsen planned the murder and getting rid off the body in advance, and had bought with him equipment to his submarine for that end.

Interesting. I figured he tried to have his way with her once they were underwater, she resisted, and things went badly. I wonder what he brought with him that makes them think this? Any speculation on motive?

Edit...a possible motive revealed...

From the https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4294510/kim-wall-peter-madsen-submarine-murder-denmark/

"A pre-trial review for Madsen heard he had a hard drive in his Copenhagen workshop containing warped videos of women being tortured, dismembered and burned. Prosecutors believe Madsen, a married 46-year-old, brutalised and killed her to feed a sick sexual fantasy."

The prosecutor thinks that the murder was planned in advance. Apparently he had brought equipment to the sub in order to dismember the body and pieces of metal to tie to the body parts so that they would stay on the sea floor.

As for motive, it remains unknown as far as I know. Madsen has not even confessed. But apparently Madsen had at some occasion expressed a wish to commit "the perfect crime". Maybe this was his attempt?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2018, 05:59:24 PM »
Canadian man sorry for butchering and eating pet pig Molly

And this is different from eating store-bought pork how???

(For the record, I don't eat meat and find it upsetting that so many people do.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2018, 06:17:27 PM »
Canadian man sorry for butchering and eating pet pig Molly

And this is different from eating store-bought pork how???

(For the record, I don't eat meat and find it upsetting that so many people do.)
Taste wise, probably very little. It's more like eating a rescue dog really. A lot of time and energy went into caring for and rehabilitating the animal.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #228 on: February 28, 2018, 10:11:42 AM »
I think it's funny, in a sick sort of way, that people who eat cow and pig get upset at the idea that some people eat dog. Or that some folks think that eating an animal that has been a family pet is somehow worse than eating an animal that was bred and raised in the concentration-camp conditions of a factory farm. A very long time ago an email went out trying to raise indignation against (IIRC) Taiwan where, according to the email, it is a common practice for people to go out for a picnic and eat the family dog, after killing it by hanging. I have no idea if the creators of the email believed what they had written. I think that in Asia, people do eat dog. I highly doubt that it is common to eat the family pet, or that hanging is the preferred method of killing the animal. I can't imagine that it would taste very good, even to a person who likes the taste of other meat.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #229 on: February 28, 2018, 11:29:35 AM »
I think it's the viewpoint that you bring to the table. My daughter, who's a vegetarian, has a friend that raised cows and chickens, she took care of them everyday, showed the cows at 4H fairs and the State Fair, all the while knowing that the animal would eventually end up on someones table.

I have a dog, I take care of him, feed him, take longs walks with him, he's a member of my family, I am not going to eat him.  I think that's how most westerners think about cats and dogs, that they are family, but if they are a readily available source of protein in your eastern neck of the woods, so be it.

As far as the pig goes, I though that it was weird that the family adopted the pig, and they must have known it was a rescue, and still at the first sign of an issue, chose to eat it, rather then return it to the agency that they got it from.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #230 on: February 28, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
Agreed, it's all cultural and psychological.

But most of the animals (mammals anyway) that people eat are vegetarians; so eating dog or cat is a little different.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #231 on: February 28, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »
I think it's funny, in a sick sort of way, that people who eat cow and pig get upset at the idea that some people eat dog. Or that some folks think that eating an animal that has been a family pet is somehow worse than eating an animal that was bred and raised in the concentration-camp conditions of a factory farm. A very long time ago an email went out trying to raise indignation against (IIRC) Taiwan where, according to the email, it is a common practice for people to go out for a picnic and eat the family dog, after killing it by hanging. I have no idea if the creators of the email believed what they had written. I think that in Asia, people do eat dog. I highly doubt that it is common to eat the family pet, or that hanging is the preferred method of killing the animal. I can't imagine that it would taste very good, even to a person who likes the taste of other meat.
Buddhists refer to this as cultural ignorance, and is a large part of why I have remained vegetarian for 20 years now. I kind of get choosing to eat bird, but not mammal, but I don't get picking one mammal over another, really. I do of course fall into the trap of caring more for cute and cuddly, and less for gross and alien. I don't begrudge people their choices, though most of the time I wish they'd eat less meat for a myriad of reasons, as I understand there are plenty of actions and choices that I make based solely on the conditioning of my culture.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #232 on: March 10, 2018, 08:47:39 PM »
Danish Inventor Abused Kim Wall Before Killing Her, Indictment Says

In the indictment, however, prosecutors say he brought a “saw, sharpened screwdrivers, straps, strips and pipes” to the submarine before the trip, arguing that these were part of a plan to kill Ms. Wall. He “abused her by hitting her, stabbed and cut her and he killed her after which he dismembered her body,” the indictment said.

The straps and pipes were tied to her torso and limbs to weight them down after he threw them overboard. The police investigation has not been able to establish the exact cause of death, but say that she was either strangled or had her throat cut.

The police said earlier that Ms. Wall had been stabbed repeatedly, including in her genitals, but had not previously said they believed that to have happened before her death.

Mr. Madsen, 47, was formally charged last week with premeditated killing, a charge equivalent to murder; sexual assault; and improper handling of a body.

The more I read about this case (and the news media covers it pretty intensively), the more it looks like some sort of murder for pleasure. A real horror story. Kim Wall must have been terrified during the last hours of her life, tied up and alone with Peter Madsen in the submarine under the surface, being tortured and eventually murdered.

The doctors have stated that Madsen has narcisistic and psychopathic personality traits.

One thing that I wonder is how the Danish police concluded straight away that she was dead. Even before any body parts had been found, and Madsen had stated that he left her to walk away at a dock (he has changed his story many times, as technical evidence has refuted it), the police stated that they were looking for a dead person.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2018, 05:45:25 AM »
so, a council in north England have had to come out and state that their, 'Street lights 'don't cause cancer or miscarriages''...

A council has said its street lights do not cause cancer or induce miscarriages after "conspiracy stories" spread online.

In a Facebook post, Gateshead Council added the lights "will not induce nosebleeds, and they are not killing all the birds and insects".

The authority said it was reassuring residents after "false stories" about it using 5G had frightened people.

Its statement came after some people expressed concerns to their councillor.

The authority clarified it had "never" used fifth generation mobile technology.

full story - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-43711497

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2018, 10:27:27 PM »
The crazy is catching

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2018/05/27/a-pilot-kidnapped-a-foreign-student-and-tried-to-deport-him-back-to-china-police-say/?utm_term=.d516da431b31

A pilot kidnapped a foreign student and tried to deport him to China, police say

California police say they thwarted a vigilante deportation attempt last week — in which a pilot allegedly kidnapped a foreign student, took him to an airport and tried to send him “back to China.”

Jonathan McConkey, a pilot and certified flight instructor, is accused of orchestrating the kidnapping with his assistant, Kelsi Hoser, a ground instructor. Both reportedly worked at the IASCO Flight Training school in Redding, Calif.

Among IASCO’s students were dozens of Chinese nationals with student visas, according to court records. KRCR News 7 reported the school contracted with China’s civil aviation authority to train its new pilots, one of whom was apparently Tianshu “Chris” Shi.

Shi, 21,  told the Record Searchlight that he had been in the United States for about seven months — living with several other IASCO trainees at an apartment in Redding.

It was there, police said, that McConkey and Hoser came for the student.

Jonathan McConkey. (Redding, Calif., police)

The pair first showed up at the apartment on Thursday night, according to a police statement.

Shi told the Searchlight that they ordered him to pack and be ready to leave for China at daybreak.

“I said I didn’t receive any documents from China,” he said.

McConkey and Hoser didn’t explain why they wanted him out of the country, the student said, and police have not explained either. But Shi told the Searchlight that he had been forbidden to fly two months earlier, and suspected that his limited English was the problem.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2018, 12:11:18 AM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-28/melbourne-hotel-evacuated-after-fire-hydrants-opened/9806294

Southbank hotel floods after man opens fire hydrants on 18 floors

More than 100 people were evacuated from a Melbourne hotel after a man opened fire hydrants on 18 floors, sending water cascading through the building before he barricaded himself in an office.

When fire crews arrived at the Experience Bella Hotel Apartments in Southbank about 10:00pm, water was pouring out the front door and about 120 people inside were forced to leave by the stairs.

Police said a 27-year-old man had barricaded himself in an office after opening the hydrants and sending thousands of litres of water through the building.

The man, from Traralgon in eastern Victoria, was eventually arrested by police and taken to hospital by ambulance for assessment.

I have questions...

Offline gebobs

• Me like hockey!
« Reply #236 on: June 13, 2018, 01:07:28 PM »
I have questions...

I'll get the ball rolling. Who moved the fire hydrants indoors?

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #237 on: June 13, 2018, 01:23:53 PM »
I have questions...

I'll get the ball rolling. Who moved the fire hydrants indoors?

I suspect they mean the sprinkler riser test connections - usually in the stairwells of taller buildings.  Usually secured somehow to prevent this sort of thing but a smart guy could over-ride.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #238 on: June 13, 2018, 01:49:24 PM »
Reminds be of the flooded bathroom scene in The Shape of Water.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline gebobs

• Me like hockey!
« Reply #239 on: June 13, 2018, 02:06:55 PM »
Yeah, I figgered it was a Aussie translation issue of some sort.

personate-rain