Author Topic: Episode #536  (Read 8713 times)

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #536
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 01:03:55 PM »
I've only seen 11 of the top 20. Well, trilogy's included. I'm feeling motivated to watch the movies I haven't seen and re-watch the ones I have. I have never seen Dune and only parts of 2001.

I would like to see, on a future episode perhaps, if they would like to add and/or subtract movies from their top 20. I feel Jurassic Park should have made that list.

Offline Albert Hall

• Off to a Start
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »
I don't know if "invaders from Mars (1953)" was discussed. I don't know how it has held up over time, but I remember that it was chilling to me as a kid. Spooky music, Martians underground and no one believing the kid. Parents are transformed/possessed. Anyone else remember it? Probably too cheesy effects now...

Here is a nice review: http://www.dvdjournal.com/quickreviews/i/invadersfrommars.q.shtml

Another, lesser movie to see is Kronos: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s134kronos.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:29:13 PM by Albert Hall »
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being
run by smart people who are putting us on,
or by imbeciles who really mean it.
- Mark Twain

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 04:21:31 PM »
I can't believe they left out Mars Attacks! Definitely belongs in the top 5. That was an absolutely brilliant movie. Another top-5-er is The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, but since few people know of it, I'm not so surprised they didn't mention it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline gehnofdni

• Off to a Start
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »
Star Wars as number 1?  Are you kidding?  It's pure fantasy.  There's no science.  It's pulp fiction.  It's campy.  It's not a serious movie.  It's a kid's movie.  I get the impact on film and culture, so it makes the list, but it's no where near the number 1 slot.  The rogues have lost credibility as authorities on science-fiction.

2001: A Space Odyssey is transcendent. 

Alien is not only great sci-fi, worthy of the top 10; it also happens to be the best horror film of all time in my opinion.  But, I don't think you can take the franchises as a whole.  Star Wars doesn't make the list as a franchise.  Aliens probably wouldn't either.  The first Alien film was exquisite, but the sequels got progressively worse.  Likewise, with the Matrix; fantastic film, terrible franchise.

I don't understand Steve's love of David Lynch's Dune.  You can't distill Frank Herbert's Dune into a 2-hour film.  Lynch said as much when he fought with the studio to make a longer film; it wasn't even the film he wanted to make.  It had zero impact on culture.  It doesn't hold up.  Blade Runner holds up.  I still am puzzled at how Ridley Scott did it.

I'll give you The Martian, Steve, if you give me Interstellar.  You really have to include Gattaca, Contact, and Jurassic Park in your top 20, also.  Primer and Andromeda Strain deserve honorable mention.  I think Children of Men was underrated, but I don't see it even on any top 20 list.

I don't know how Cloud Atlas doesn't get honorable mention.  I realize no one saw it, and it was panned by the critics because they didn't get it and thought it was racist.  However, it's my number one movie of all time.  It was such a powerful way of communicating the idea that social progress transcends the people who participate in it.  It was so richly layered and literary.  Transcendent.  I loved it.

This is all so subjective.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
I just remembered another great sci-fi movie: Iron Sky. After WWII the Nazis set up a base on "the dark side of the moon" [sic] from which to attack the earth and take over the world. That one at least deserves an honorable mention.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Skip Nordenholz

• Off to a Start
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 09:16:03 PM »
Battlestar Galatica 1980 needsto be in the top 5, you know how much you hate it when you go to a see a science fiction movie and it has a science fiction setting, Battlestar Galatica 1980 got rid of all of that crap by setting it on earth current time, it also saved million on the budget as they didn't have to build any sets.

Offline Nestos

• Brand New
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 02:44:21 AM »
Star Wars as number 1?  Are you kidding?  It's pure fantasy.  There's no science.  It's pulp fiction.  It's campy.  It's not a serious movie.  It's a kid's movie.  I get the impact on film and culture, so it makes the list, but it's no where near the number 1 slot.  The rogues have lost credibility as authorities on science-fiction.

Or as John Mcenroe said

I don't understand how on the one hand Prometheus gets slated but, Stars Wars gets a free ride. It spawned a whole raft of equally bad SciFi movies that are effects driven rather than plot/character driven.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:57:56 AM by Nestos »
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 04:34:34 AM »
You can almost lump The Thing in with the Alien franchise or perhaps t'other way around. Alien is basically a remake of it.

Mad Max Clockwork Orange as dystopian films are more fringe to me. Though I love both of them, Jurassic Park, Avatar, or Contact might be better representative of the genre for my money.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:40:22 AM by gebobs »

Offline Zec

• Off to a Start
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 08:59:03 AM »
Blade Runner is the absolute n. 1 in my list.
It is by far the most influential effective and beautiful representation of  a dystopian future ever seen on a screen.
It touches so many scientific an phylosophic topics: genetic engineering, artificial intelligence, memory implants.

Not to mention one of  most quoted monologues of all times "i've seen things..", still around after 30 years!
In my opinion "the Matrix" (and by the way the sequels just ruined it) doesn't even come close.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 10:31:26 AM »
In my opinion "the Matrix" (and by the way the sequels just ruined it) doesn't even come close.
Absolutely right, the Matrix wouldn't exist without Blade Runner and only 1 of several similarly themed movies of its time. 

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »
Absolutely right, the Matrix wouldn't exist without Blade Runner and only 1 of several similarly themed movies of its time.

But where does "this thing was influenced by this other thing so it can't come ahead of the other thing" stop?  Is the #1 movie of all time that one where the train comes toward the audience, just because it was (amongst the) first?
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2015, 06:52:18 PM »
Maybe it's because I listened to the extended version and they explained the criteria better, but I have no clue why anyone is taking issue with Star Wars as the number one "core science fiction" movie of all time.  While I roll my eyes a bit when nerds gush about how awesome Star Wars is, I'm stunned that anyone would deny that it defined the science fiction genre for the last 38 years.  Steve made a strong case for the more hard-science angle with 2001, but others disagreed with him.  If you want to have a separate list for only "hard science" then have at it, but that's not what the segment on the podcast was about.

I'm getting a vague sense of deja vu with this year's Hugo Awards.  It really seems like a lot of people who love sci fi will do everything possible to make sure as few people find their way to their community as possible.  Hating on Star Wars is a pretty good way to continue this tradition.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »

But where does "this thing was influenced by this other thing so it can't come ahead of the other thing" stop?  Is the #1 movie of all time that one where the train comes toward the audience, just because it was (amongst the) first?
You have a point but the matrix is over rated.  :P 

In reality, I tear it down at every opportunity because it came out a year after the far superior dark city and nobody but us nerds remember Dark City. 

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2015, 06:58:47 AM »
I definitely agree with the need for Jurassic Park in there. That movie was a major special effects milestone as well.
Mooohn!

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2015, 07:27:35 AM »
I definitely agree with the need for Jurassic Park in there. That movie was a major special effects milestone as well.

That's another case where the individual film might make the list but if we a artificially forcing ourselves to consider the whole franchise it is less appealing.  Especial after the latest installment basically stuck up its middle finger at paleontology.

personate-rain