Author Topic: Fargo: Midwest Simulator 2017  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Fargo: Midwest Simulator 2017
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:51:20 AM »
Anyone watching the new season?  It's off to a very strong start.

I'm not sure what to make of the item from episode 1, the:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:43:19 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: Fargo: Midwest Simulator 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 01:58:39 PM »
I watched the first season all at once, so will probably do the same.  Not good for ratings....

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:39:12 PM »
I watched the first season all at once, so will probably do the same.  Not good for ratings....

If you watch it on Hulu, then it actually does contribute to the ratings per my understanding.

Also a disclaimer:  I haven't seen the series (yet), but the movie is not an accurate representation of how Midwesterners speak.  Except in rural Wisconsin. Which you might notice, is not a state associated with the city of Fargo.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 09:42:53 PM »
It's back.

It's good.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Fargo: Midwest Simulator 2017
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »
... the movie is not an accurate representation of how Midwesterners speak.  Except in rural Wisconsin. Which you might notice, is not a state associated with the city of Fargo.

I lived in rural North Dakota for roughly 20 years, and in Fargo for four years. The movie Fargo has nothing whatsoever to do with the city of Fargo. I speculate that they called it Fargo because nobody would go to see a movie called Brainerd. Brainerd, MN, and Minneapolis are where the action takes place.

By and large, people in Fargo do not speak the way Frances McDormand's character speaks, but she does a perfect characterization of a certain type of older Scandinavian Minnesotans, and that's exactly how people often speak when telling Ollie & Sven jokes. A hundred years ago, give or take, there were still communities in Minnesota that spoke their old-world languages and even learned the runic alphabet in school. So even though McDormand's character was a caricature, it was not all that far off. There were still people who talked like that.

Example of an Ollie & Sven joke: Ollie and Sven are driving along when they see a man in a rowboat in the middle of a wheat field. Suddenly the rowboat tips over and the man flops out into the wheat, flailing his arms and legs and calling for help. Ollie turns to Sven and says "Do you think we should help him?" Sven replies, "I don't know. I can't swim."
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 05:51:09 AM »
I've loved both seasons and this one has given me no reason to think that is going to change.  Very, very good show on every level.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
Season 1 is one of my favourite seasons of tv ever. Season 2 is sublime.
Im REALLY enjoying every moment of season 3 so far but I hope they are aimimg for a shake up and a fake out because:
If this was the first season I saw, Id be questioning whether or not I want to keep watching at this point.

The dopey schlubb getting corrupted is getting boring to me now. Especially with the femme fatale angle.

The main character seems like a really shit cop. She wasted alot of resources on a lead that could barely be described as a lead and refuses to develop the basic tools to do her job.
She seems folksy and savvy in how she is presented but
(click to show/hide)

Only 3 episodes in though.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »
Im REALLY enjoying every moment of season 3 so far but I hope they are aimimg for a shake up and a fake out because:
If this was the first season I saw, Id be questioning whether or not I want to keep watching at this point.

The dopey schlubb getting corrupted is getting boring to me now. Especially with the femme fatale angle.

The main character seems like a really shit cop. She wasted alot of resources on a lead that could barely be described as a lead and refuses to develop the basic tools to do her job.
(click to show/hide)

Yeah, it's not grabbing me as fast as the other 2 seasons did either, but the cast this season seems significantly smaller so I'm expecting a slower burn.  I also think her trip to LA was less about the case and more about her personal interest. 

Offline Harry Black

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 05:29:17 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Yeah, it's not grabbing me as fast as the other 2 seasons did either, but the cast this season seems significantly smaller so I'm expecting a slower burn.  I also think her trip to LA was less about the case and more about her personal interest.
I agree. And it was a fantastic story in and of itself.

I do suspect a different tack is being taken and thats it.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 08:30:49 AM »
The robot cartoon ep. That was some really brave television. Reminds me a bit of The Leftovers, a willingness to sort of take a little side trip. Fargo is great TV. The third season is as compelling as the rest. Albeit the "relative hatches a fool proof caper to get what is his from another relative" bit is kind of done by now.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Harry Black

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 09:03:37 AM »
Finale done.
Very unsatisfying.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »
... the movie is not an accurate representation of how Midwesterners speak.  Except in rural Wisconsin. Which you might notice, is not a state associated with the city of Fargo.

I lived in rural North Dakota for roughly 20 years, and in Fargo for four years. The movie Fargo has nothing whatsoever to do with the city of Fargo. I speculate that they called it Fargo because nobody would go to see a movie called Brainerd. Brainerd, MN, and Minneapolis are where the action takes place.

It's called Fargo because that is where the deal is made between Lundegaard and Grimsrud and Showalter.

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 01:08:06 PM »
Finale done.
Very unsatisfying.

In hindsight, it felt like Varga was the protagonist and we only ever saw things from the perspectives of secondary characters and the good guy antognist of Carrie Coon's former chief. 

Like if we watched Lord of War without any of Nicholas Cage's scenes. 

Offline Harry Black

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 01:12:44 PM »
Finale done.
Very unsatisfying.

In hindsight, it felt like Varga was the protagonist and we only ever saw things from the perspectives of secondary characters and the good guy antognist of Carrie Coon's former chief. 

Like if we watched Lord of War without any of Nicholas Cage's scenes.
Yep. Thats what I got with the final scene mirroring the first and inviting us to compare the differences.

I dont like it. I think it was a series of excellently produced episodes that combined into a poor season of television.
I found it to be less than the sum of its parts.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »
I hope like hell there's a season 2 of season 3. I noticed they made a point of showing the Asian henchman survived. And Varga was tipped off about the IRS. I don't think it was revealed who his in at the IRS. Sadly I've also heard buzz this is the last season.

I really like the whole season. But I guess I would have liked to see who walked through the door.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

personate-rain