Author Topic: Drawbacks to audio books?  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Gigas

• Brand New
Re: Drawbacks to audio books?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »
My biggest complaint use to be that I couldn't bookmark or highlight an audiobook (at the time I used an ipod for my "reading"). But my ipods have all recently died and I had to switch to the audible app for android and it has a bookmark feature.

Bad narrators are definitely the biggest drawback. I generally like Stephen King's short stories and books but he opted to narrate some of them and it's a train wreck. Specifically: "Wind Through the Keyhole" and "On Writing" which are great books that are unreadable (listenable?) in the audiobook format.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 03:39:35 PM »
I have a very broad tolerance for narrators, especially for good stories.  I listened to Wind Through the Keyhole and enjoyed it greatly, mostly because it was a good enough story that I got sucked in almost from the very beginning.  Minute 1 I was all like "really, this is how it's gonna be?" but by minute 5 I was sold.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »
I still love the idea of real books even though I mostly read on my tablet and listen via audio.
I think because of star trek, I much prefer reading on a device.
I don't actually have a preference for reading actual books, I just like the idea of having books.  Its almost a fetish really.  I wish I could afford a home with a library.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 03:45:37 PM »
BTW, if you want the best fantasy genre "narrated by the author" experience money can buy, grab Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 06:30:59 PM »
You can get distracted away from an audiobook, its harder to do that with a physical book in your hands.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »
The first audiobook I listened to was in podcast form. I loved it except for being completely surprised when it ended. Not by the ending - that it ended. There was no sense of how many "pages" to expect or how thin the right hand stack was getting. Now I listen to fiction and nonfiction, but pay attention to how much time is left.

I tend to binge listen, going through an entire series in a couple weeks. The Better Angels of Our Nature was one of the few books where I listened to sections more than once. Thinking, Fast and Slow was another.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Redamare

• Deleted
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 11:00:52 PM »
My biggest complaint use to be that I couldn't bookmark or highlight an audiobook (at the time I used an ipod for my "reading"). But my ipods have all recently died and I had to switch to the audible app for android and it has a bookmark feature.

Bad narrators are definitely the biggest drawback. I generally like Stephen King's short stories and books but he opted to narrate some of them and it's a train wreck. Specifically: "Wind Through the Keyhole" and "On Writing" which are great books that are unreadable (listenable?) in the audiobook format.

I mostly enjoy when the author reads the book. It feels more personal that way, particularly with Stephen King. I know his voice isn't the most melodious, but I like to think that I'm listening to him directly. One exception I will make is Dan Eagleman. Far from the worst narration I've ever heard, but I think he really should have handed Incognito off to someone else.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 12:08:10 AM »
I am a big big fan of audio books.  I listen at work, and have been through many, many books while I earn money.
As far as the drawback to not having bookmarks....I just use keep app on my phone to jot down where I am when switching between books.

Anyone have any favorites? 
Offhand I'd have to say Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series is my favorite.  Narrated by Patrick Tull.  I know many people prefer Simon Vance's narration, but I just couldn't get into it at all after hearing Tull.
20 books, 264+ hours. (11 days!)  Audio soap operas for dudes?
LOVE LOVE LOVE those books!

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 09:23:04 AM »
oddly enough,  I have enjoyed using my kindle's autonarration feature in lieu of audiobook (the book publishers were afraid of this and therefore some books have narration disabled).  I think because the computer voice is more bland and featureless, using the narrator is actually closer to reading for me than if there was a voice actor doing it.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »
I pretty much agree with every point in Pants post except with the music part, as I can't read with any audio cue in the background.

I'll add that sometimes you miss transitions in the novel. For example I've been reading Malazan Book of the Fallen in audio book, and the Narrator makes no pauses over any transition scene. And sometimes I'm like, How did Paran happen to be talking to Mallet when they are on opposite sides of the continent, when it's really not Paran talking. I think it's the Narrator's fault for not making a longer pause between the transitions, but it has happened to me on other audio books that do have longer pauses in transitions.

I have completely abandoned reading books. I picked up Starship Troopers, and started reading and felt utterly bored so i got the audiobook instead and enjoyed it thoroughly. I am also a slow reader. I sub-vocalize so my reading speed is the same as if I were reading out loud, which is about 100-150 words per minute. So, audiobooks tend to be slightly faster for me, and I can do some driving or mundane activities during those times.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
I generally listen at 1.5 or 2.0 speed so music makes pretty much zero sense. I still read read a fair amount though; in fact, I'm currently working my way through The Emperor of All Maladies, a Disappearing Spoon type book about the history of cancer and cancer treatment, which is pretty fascinating (and one thing you do lose from audiobooks that this book has in spades are footnotes and appendices). I don't feel like they replace normal books, really; for me, they just provide still another opportunity to "read" when I'm out walking or biking.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 12:30:05 PM »
Drawback to audiobooks:  they put me to sleep.

Full disclosure:  reading print books puts me to sleep also.

I'm only good for about 10 pages, but the print book doesn't keep going when I konk out.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »
Yeah, admittedly that's probably my #1 use for "print" books nowadays (full disclosure: I read all that crap on a Kindle): reading at night to fall asleep.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Redamare

• Deleted
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »
The new Kindle's backlighting is supposedly the best yet for that kind of thing. And I'm sorry, but however well "true print" may work, it doesn't work in one important way, which is that I can't just lay the book down and go right to sleep, I have to turn the lamp off too and sometimes that's *just* enough work to make me stay awake for another 15 minutes.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

personate-rain
personate-rain