Author Topic: CBS announces new Star Trek series in 2017!  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
CBS announces new Star Trek series in 2017!
« on: November 02, 2015, 03:08:59 PM »
Official announcement here!

Nothing about in-universe time-frame, except that it will NOT be related to the upcoming movie, which might indicate it's not on that continuity (though it doesn't say specifically).
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: CBS announces new Star Trek series in 2017!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Online st3class

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »
I have two complaints about this.

1) It will only be available on CBS's streaming service.

2) The executive producer is Alex Kurtzman, who co-wrote both the rebooted Star Trek movies.

As such, I am extremely skeptical.
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 04:10:34 PM »
I've been quietly hoping for a Captain Worf show for a few years now, but that's not the vibe I'm getting from what little we have to go on.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »
Or Captain Sulu.... Oh MY!
Amend and resubmit.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 04:56:21 PM »
Or Captain Sulu.... Oh MY!

It'd have to be a new actor.

Seeing what's been done to the franchise in recent years (with those movies) prevents me from being too excited for this.  Also... CBS?

They're also prepping a new MacGyver series.  Looks like CBS is going for stuff that worked in the past.

Next we'll hear about a 4th Twilight Zone.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 05:33:59 PM »
Still disappointed about the reboot. :(
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 07:24:16 PM »

I'll be curious to see what the subject matter is since I doubt they'll get the movie actors from the most recent Enterprise.  My best idea was a mashup of Star Trek and the A-Team, about a rogue group of Starfleet officers, wanted by the Federation for a crime they didn't commit.  These people promptly escaped from a maximum security Starbase to the Alpha Sector underground.  Today, still wanted by Starfleet, they survive as explorers of fortune.  If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...Red Squad.

Sorry, I sort of lost control there.
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 05:08:26 PM »
So this month there have been 2 developments that make me waaaaay more optimistic about this show. First:

Quote from: Variety
“Hannibal” creator Bryan Fuller has found his next mission: showrunner and co-creator of CBS’ new “Star Trek” series.

He’ll serve as executive producer alongside Alex Kurtzman on the reboot of the sci-fi classic, Variety has learned.

A longtime fan of science fiction, Fuller began his career writing for “Star Trek: Voyager” (1997-2001) and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” (1997)...

And second:

Quote from: Star Trek.com
It’s official. Bryan Fuller, who will co-create, produce and serve as showrunner of the upcoming Star Trek series, has just announced the news that Nicholas Meyer has joined the show's writing staff and will be a consulting producer.

"Nicholas Meyer chased Kirk and Khan 'round the Mutara Nebula and 'round Genesis' flames, he saved the whales with the Enterprise and its crew, and waged war and peace between Klingons and the Federation. We are thrilled to announce that one of Star Trek's greatest storytellers will be boldly returning as Nicholas Meyer beams aboard the new Trek writing staff," said Executive Producer, Bryan Fuller.

Meyer, of course, is beloved by Star Trek fans worldwide for directing (and co-written, uncredited) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, co-writing Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and co-writing and directing Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country...

I won't go so far as to say I'm confident this is going to be great, but I'm having a hard time imagining better news beyond Ronald D Moore having been made showrunner instead.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 09:00:48 AM »

I'll be curious to see what the subject matter is since I doubt they'll get the movie actors from the most recent Enterprise.  My best idea was a mashup of Star Trek and the A-Team, about a rogue group of Starfleet officers, wanted by the Federation for a crime they didn't commit.  These people promptly escaped from a maximum security Starbase to the Alpha Sector underground.  Today, still wanted by Starfleet, they survive as explorers of fortune.  If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...Red Squad.

Sorry, I sort of lost control there.

That description is suspiciously similar to the backdrop of Voyager, actually.  And that series was the worst one.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 07:44:50 PM »
My wife is a big fan of all the Treks, and is super excited for this new one.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 01:07:27 AM »
First actual trailer finally released:

With Fuller gone and the many, many delays this show's had, I'm not exactly stoked, but this trailer isn't awful.  The production values look good and more in line with Nu Trek, and I like the casting choices so far (especially Michelle Yeoh), but I'm not totally on board with the new look of the Klingons and the uniforms kind of remind me of workout clothes with fancy decorations on them.  All in all though, I'm less concerned and more interested to see what they deliver.  Still pissed about the CBS All Access thing in the US however.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 01:11:37 AM »
The death detector detecting death (thus fulfilling his life's purpose) probably isn't supposed to be funny
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 01:35:02 AM »
The death detector detecting death (thus fulfilling his life's purpose) probably isn't supposed to be funny

Oh yeah.  Forgot to mention that.  Well... we'll see.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »
Fuller's gone?

Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

personate-rain
personate-rain