Author Topic: iPhone Games  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
iPhone Games
« on: November 10, 2015, 11:54:09 AM »
Productivity-wise, this thread is clearly ill-advised, but does anyone have any recommendations for iPhone games?

Not sure what I'm looking for, and I've played few, but found Angry Birds really uncompelling (for example).

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: iPhone Games
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »
I'm yet to find any mobile games that can hold my attention for any amount of time. They are all extremely shallow

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:53:38 PM »
Yeah, that's been my experience, too.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 02:47:31 AM »
I agree with Angry Birds. It was fun for a short while, but has got boring.
Plus they have killed the franchise by bringing out so many games. There are about a dozen variants.

I agree mobile games are a bit shallow, but they do have their place. They are good to kill a few minutes, while you are waiting or are stuck on a bus, train, plane etc.
I'd rather play something longer on my Xbox One.

Lara Croft GO and Hitman GO are both fun little games. Levels only take a few minutes to complete.
I played them on an iPad, but they are both available for the iPhone.

They are single player boardgame versions (GO) of the hit franchises.
Lara Croft is the better of the 2. But both are good. Lara Croft GO is on sale for US$1.99 instead of US$4.99.

They start off easy but do get more challenging, especially if you want to complete all challenges.

Quell Memento+ is a fun puzzle game.
If you haven't tried "Monument Valley", that is another good game. A bit short and not as challenging as it could be.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 04:51:04 AM »
I tend to have a couple of games that I play incessantly. Mostly when I'm on the toilet. Angry Birds was one of them, but like Tassie Dave said (Ilowski, if that's you, let me know) it got dull after too many iterations.

Bejeweled Blitz was my go-to game for ages, but these days I exclusively play Triple Town.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 05:50:42 AM »
but like Tassie Dave said (Ilowski, if that's you, let me know)

Sorry, not me. Another Tasmanian I assume?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 06:11:11 AM »
but like Tassie Dave said (Ilowski, if that's you, let me know)

Sorry, not me. Another Tasmanian I assume?

Yeah, guy I know. Would have been a pretty amazing coincidence. :)
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »
Ingress is good when your out and about. Clash of clans is fun as well. Most mobile games I think benifit from being played on a larger screen like a tablet. They also tend to have better cases and stands witch help for certain type of games like fighting games. I think injustice and mortal kombat have really good mobile games but can't imagin playing on the phone but are great on a tablet.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 07:37:18 AM »
So there's no Elder Scrolls equivalent? :)

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »
New York Times Crosswords. They are a cut above all others. This is subscription with optional additional purchases.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 10:54:49 AM »
Actually, I forgot about Tower Raiders on my old Android phone. I found that very compelling.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »
I'm trying out SimCity - a resource collection game disguised (poorly) as an old-school simulation.  But I'm enjoying it anyway.  So far.

I haven't been tempted into any in-app purchases yet - I've definitely played and discarded other games where the requirement for in-app purchasing is too early.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline kvuo75

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 10:23:32 PM »
hearthstone

its a port of a real game, a collectible card game. like magic the gathering, etc. free to play, pc /mac/tablets/phones.. it gets fuckin deep if you want. people play it professionally ffs. apparently its the one of the most streamed games on twitch, etc. ive been playing about a month and have not even scratched the surface really.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:25:46 PM by kvuo75 »

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 10:39:03 PM »
All of that is true. On the other hand, it somehow manages to be heavily pay-to-win and completely random bullshit at the same time. The developers really love to take advantage of the digital format to do things a physical card game can't really do, one of them being randomness. "Summon random minion", "add a random spell to your hand", "deal damage to a random minion", the list goes on. It doesn't matter how carefully you prepare your deck and how well you play, even one of these can cost you a game you had in the bag. But you won't have that game in the bag in the first place if you don't have those hard to get legendary cards. Good luck getting them from grinding out card packs through normal gameplay.

Offline kvuo75

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 10:49:41 PM »
also all true.

i pretty much cant get over lvl 19 until i start running into obviously good decks, and just get beat back to lvl 20..

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:52:05 PM by kvuo75 »

personate-rain