Author Topic: Modern Flat-Earthism  (Read 2343 times)

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Modern Flat-Earthism
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »
Step 1, convince everyone the world is round
Step 2, profit!

I can only assume that NASA is run by the descendants of Copernicus. 

Or they don't even bother to try and explain it.  Weird man.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »
Still, they must tell themselves something right?  I wouldn't expect it to be logical, just something.
Short circuiting. "I believe that becausetherefore it must be true."
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline John Albert

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 04:10:10 PM »
Despite the few mainstays like palmistry, tarot reading, homeopathy and chiropractic, other woo beliefs appear to come and go in and out of style from time to time.

Back in the mid-1990s, aura viewing, crystal healing, reflexology briefly came back into vogue. Nowadays it's Flat-Earthism.

Offline God Bomb

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 08:59:18 PM »
It's really getting out of hand.

Seriosuly look at the youtube videos debunking flat earth.  The up and down votes are roughly equal.  Scary, really.  Luckily this doesn't seem to be a very dangerous dellusion, other the the fact that all delusions are dangerous because they feed into each other.

What I would encourage all flat earthers to do is get a pilots license.  Since they think all pilots are in on the conspiracy.   Group together  and buy a plane (use money from celebrity flat earthers).  Make a straight line flight plan using a flat earth map, point the plane at the horizon and just see if you end up in the right place. 
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 10:42:57 PM »
If the earth was flat all the cats in the world would have knocked everything off the edge by now.  ;D
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 10:52:42 PM »
That's only like the 96th time I've seen that joke.

This week.

Offline EverydayAstronaut

• Brand New
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 11:26:47 PM »
This is a good read. I've been struggling with Flat-Earthers commenting on my Instagram channel for years (http://instagram.com/everdyayastronaut) and my YouTube channel (http://youtube.com/everydayastronaut) has been bombarded lately with them as well. I produce fun/funny/factual content about spaceflight and it's very disheartening to hear people scoff at it.

You know what I've found to work pretty well?

Instead of belittling them, separating myself from them, or acting all knowing, I generally have been inquiring them and just saying things like "That's really interesting, you should meet me down at a launch some time, I'd love to show you around." I ask them some simple questions and give them the time of day (I think that's all they want some times). I often say, DM me if you have any questions, I'd love to answer them for you. Half the time they have a really basic question like "How come no ones ever seen a SpaceX landing, that's why it's CGI" and I'll just inform them about the VERY PUBLIC return to launch site landings that are visible up and down the Florida coast for dozens of miles and the accompanying sonic boom. They're normally pretty cool with the simple invitation and mention that it's very public and it's very exciting.

I'm also starting to suspect a lot of them to be teenagers who are just in that stage of wanting to be in-the-know. With a little molding I've found several who have completely changed their accounts from "conspiracy based" to history and fact based. Pretty cool.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 10:45:14 AM »
The first I heard that flat-Earth-ism was still a thing was when Stuart did an episode about it on his Exposing PseudoAstronomy podcast. What it comes down to is that, unlike most other conspiracy theories, to actually believe this one you have to reject all of physical science.

For conspiracies like Planet X you have to be entirely ignorant of orbital dynamics, but for flat-Earth you have to reject everything that even the scientifically illiterate know about the natural world. This makes me doubt that 99% of them actually believe it. And the 1% who do are severely mentally ill. The promoters (IMO) are a mix of jokesters and charlatans, and the followers go with it in the same frame of mind as people read comic books.

What makes an apple fall to the ground if not gravity? What makes eyeglasses work if not refraction? Lots of ordinary people have visited Antarctica. There are numerous companies that will take you there. Have all these people been paid off to lie about it, and not one has refused? This is high-grade clinical insanity, if you actually believe it. But people being people, is probably a fun joke for some. And you can make money if you get enough viewers of your YouTube videos.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 01:08:08 PM »

This week.

I know I wanted to get it out of my system  ;D
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 03:48:28 PM »
If the earth was flat all the cats in the world would have knocked everything off the edge by now.  ;D

This week.

I had never heard it before and I think it's brilliant. Thanks to Xenu for posting it!
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »

This week.

I had never heard it before and I think it's brilliant. Thanks to Xenu for posting it!

I'm more active on social media. :)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2017, 08:53:14 AM »
The internet gives the impression of a "major movement", but it's just an illusion. Put 100 piles of cow poo in a square mile of grass land, then google "cow poo on this square mile of grass land" and you come up with over TWO PAGES OF HITS. OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline John Albert