Author Topic: 1T HDD or 512 SSD?  (Read 2984 times)

Offline 2397

• Well Established
Re: 1T HDD or 512 SSD?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 04:22:16 PM »
Then do a zero format on the old drive (to force it to touch every bit so it has a clue if it's got bad ones) and use it as your time machine. With storage capacity going up so fast and with so little expense, it's rarely worth it to do a cull - unless you have a compelling reason to never ever be able to idly find that thing again one day because it should e excised from the world forever. ;)

Yeah, or make sure to properly delete those old drives if you're handing them off somewhere and had anything sensitive on there at all.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »
Enjoy your new machine!

My recommendation was based on having the capacity to do the thing you don't know about today. Maybe you get a gift of a 3D printer (like I just did) and discover that the perfectly adequate - even slightly overpowered - device from 2 years ago is going to struggle, despite having maxed the RAM and having a screaming SSD. That older mid-range processor, well, it's showing it's older mid-range age. I'm glad you can upgrade RAM at the store if you need to, though - I had no idea.

As for the keep/delete conundrum, why bother? Just slap the drive from the old machine into an external USB/Thunderbolt case, and drag-and-drop all your files from the old drive to a new external HDD. Then do a zero format on the old drive (to force it to touch every bit so it has a clue if it's got bad ones) and use it as your time machine. With storage capacity going up so fast and with so little expense, it's rarely worth it to do a cull - unless you have a compelling reason to never ever be able to idly find that thing again one day because it should e excised from the world forever. ;)

The first part of your last paragraph is all Greek to me. The reason for deleting files is to make it easier to find ones I might actually want. I've got so many files after about 15 years (I kept all my old files when I migrated from my previous computer to this one) that sometimes I go looking for something and cannot find it. I really don't need most of my five-plus-year-old files.

Before I let go of this machine I will make sure to have my files professionally deleted, since I would not know how, and unless Disk Utility on the Mac has an option for "Delete, completely, really and truly forever so it can never be recovered," any explanation you gave me would probably be Greek to me as well.

Hopefully I'll be able to donate it, so I need to erase my files, but would not want to remove the HD, even if I knew how. And I don't need another external HD because I have the one I've been using for backup.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 04:45:01 PM »
Hey, I just realized something. I thought my backup disk would be all compressed files that could only be retrieved via Time Machine. But I opened the external drive (my backup drive) in Finder, and I can see all my folders and files, and I can use copy/paste to copy a file onto my desktop (or wherever).

That means that if I start using the cloud for backup (which I'd pretty much planned on) I could just keep the old external HD for all my old files. I could move the ones I presently use onto the new machine, and grab the old ones if and when I ever need to.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 05:43:30 PM »
... So many choices, it's easy to get paralyzed by indecision. ...

That's a good way to phrase it!

Sounds good.  I'd be looking for a USB3 or a Thunderbolt external drive on the cheap.  I see several that are pretty good price.

USB 3 or Thunderbolt I think are good ideas. Buying on the cheap I think is generally not a great idea. You don't always get what you pay for, but you very seldom get what you don't pay for. Anyway, I think that if I do need more storage, a USB Flash drive will likely be my choice. I've got a terabyte of space on Dropbox. I use Dropbox to show my travel pictures to friends, and I used up my free allotment. So I've got more space than I'll probably ever need, and can store seldom-used or archived files there.

My biggest difficulty is just going to be going through ten years' worth of old files to decide what's worth keeping and what needs to be deleted.

When I say on the cheap, I mean on sale.  You should be able to see some really good deals on NewEgg or Amazon this week.

Also, I've switched away from Dropbox to OneDrive.  Mainly because I get the latest version of Office AND Unlimited online storage for $99.00 per year.

#non-belief denialist

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 07:06:14 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. I don't use MS Office. I use NeoOffice, which is all I need for letters and spreadsheets. I've posted on the relevant help boards to find out if either iCloud or Google Drive can do what I need. Backup, photo sharing, and remote drive. I would drop Dropbox if one of the others can do all three of those things.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 11:29:34 PM »
iCloud can do that.  It's roughly the same price as Dropbox.
#non-belief denialist

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 06:16:43 AM »
I use Dropbox to show my travel pictures to friends, and I used up my free allotment.

As brilligtove mentioned, Google Photos has unlimited free storage and a slew of impressive features.

It took a long time for me to export my library of around 13,000 images to it, after exporting from iPhoto, but well worth the hassle. Now, my iPhone photos automatically upload to both PhotoStream and Google Photos, which is nice.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »
Enjoy your new machine!

My recommendation was based on having the capacity to do the thing you don't know about today. Maybe you get a gift of a 3D printer (like I just did) and discover that the perfectly adequate - even slightly overpowered - device from 2 years ago is going to struggle, despite having maxed the RAM and having a screaming SSD. That older mid-range processor, well, it's showing it's older mid-range age. I'm glad you can upgrade RAM at the store if you need to, though - I had no idea.

As for the keep/delete conundrum, why bother? Just slap the drive from the old machine into an external USB/Thunderbolt case, and drag-and-drop all your files from the old drive to a new external HDD. Then do a zero format on the old drive (to force it to touch every bit so it has a clue if it's got bad ones) and use it as your time machine. With storage capacity going up so fast and with so little expense, it's rarely worth it to do a cull - unless you have a compelling reason to never ever be able to idly find that thing again one day because it should e excised from the world forever. ;)

The first part of your last paragraph is all Greek to me. The reason for deleting files is to make it easier to find ones I might actually want. I've got so many files after about 15 years (I kept all my old files when I migrated from my previous computer to this one) that sometimes I go looking for something and cannot find it. I really don't need most of my five-plus-year-old files.

Before I let go of this machine I will make sure to have my files professionally deleted, since I would not know how, and unless Disk Utility on the Mac has an option for "Delete, completely, really and truly forever so it can never be recovered," any explanation you gave me would probably be Greek to me as well.

Hopefully I'll be able to donate it, so I need to erase my files, but would not want to remove the HD, even if I knew how. And I don't need another external HD because I have the one I've been using for backup.

You can do the transfer to a new drive without physically removing the old one of course. Search is getting better and better though, so you might find tagging files you have looked for just as effective as deleting stuff you haven't looked for. They become sign posts to other sear he's you do later.

If you want it to be a blank slate, do a from scratch re-install of the OS first: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21973?viewlocale=en_CA&locale=en_VS

Find the right article for your version of osx before you start of course. There is an option to format and repartition the drive in the reinstall I oceans. I can't recall the exact step, but you will want the seven step secure erase option.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201949

Apple support pages are pretty well laid out and should be a good guide.

evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2015, 08:05:53 AM »
Thanks. I'll try that when the time comes. Then when I screw it up, I'll take it somewhere to have it done properly. :)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2015, 08:08:25 AM »
I use Dropbox to show my travel pictures to friends, and I used up my free allotment.

As brilligtove mentioned, Google Photos has unlimited free storage and a slew of impressive features.

It took a long time for me to export my library of around 13,000 images to it, after exporting from iPhoto, but well worth the hassle. Now, my iPhone photos automatically upload to both PhotoStream and Google Photos, which is nice.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

(I'm not going to upload all my photos, though. Just the ones that are worth posting for people to see.)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2015, 08:43:28 AM »
According to FedEx, my new iMac is scheduled to be delivered some time today. ("Before 8:00 p.m.") I was going to go to a "workshop" on Mac basics at the Apple store yesterday, but it snowed, and driving 20 minutes each way in the snow seemed like a bad idea, so I rescheduled for next Tuesday. They suggest bringing your Mac to the workshop. Ain't gonna happen. I suppose for Macbooks that's easy. I'll just bring my iPad and take notes.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain