Author Topic: Very weird anti-spamming window  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
Very weird anti-spamming window
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:42:02 PM »
So I just tried to connect to the forum through a VPN software I have (Avast Secureline). I'm relatively used to getting the occasional anti-spam message if the IP the VPN uses was previously used to spam. No big deal, I turned off the VPN to connect. But in this case the anti-spam warning the SGU Forums throws up really made me think the forums had been hacked. Text posted below:

Skeptics Guide to the Universe Forums
Access Denied
Our anti-spam program has detected that you are a robot trying to send spam via our forum.
You have a more detailed explanation about it below these lines but, in case you are in a hurry to see our pages and you haven't got time just now to scan your computer looking for a possible virus, we can let you in temporarily. We are going to ask you 2 easy questions writing them in a way a robot wouldn't be able to see. Please answer this first question (just the number) to prove you are not a robot and press the "Send" button:

The most likely cause is that your computer, or another computer operating on your local network, has been infected with a virus, trojan, or worm. Infected computers are used by criminals, without their owners knowledge, to send spam and attack websites like this one you are trying yo visit.

If you are using a dynamic IP, the kind of IP that changes every time you re-start your router, maybe the only problem is that today you are using an IP that used to belong to an infected computer some time ago, so you can try, if you want, to re-start your router and your computer and open again one of our web pages to see if you can access them normally now.

Maybe it's just me but that just doesn't read "right." There's some very awkward phrasing in that that just screams "SCAM" when you read it randomly on the internet, connecting to a website you know and trust. It really made me think the forums had been hacked for a second. Obviously, since the forums loaded fine once I turned off the VPN that isn't the case. But still, if you have any control over the language you might want to consider re-writing that message.

Just my two cents.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Very weird anti-spamming window
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 10:41:56 PM »
I don't recognize that as part of our software anywhere.
#non-belief denialist

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »
It is, it is part of the anti-spam software.  The page looks like this: http://sguforums.com/warning.php
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:59:02 PM by wastrel »

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 10:07:04 AM »
It is, it is part of the anti-spam software.  The page looks like this: http://sguforums.com/warning.php

Right that's what I figured once I turned off my VPN and it went through. But the language just seems weird and definitely raised my suspicions at first that the page had been hijacked. Just raising that as a potential issue if you're ever re-working the thing.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »
If nothing else, and if it's as easy as editing a little html, fix that "yo" at the end of the second paragraph. That made me cringe. other than that I didn't think it was too bad. maybe because it's more laid back in it's description of the situation, that puts you ill at ease, since usually you'll get something much more "clinical" as a stop page. I would think 99% of the time it's getting shown to a robot that doesn't know what it "says" anyway.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 06:12:40 PM »
For me it was the language of

"And open again one of our Web pages..."

That's the sort of language I see in the Nigerian scam emails I get.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk