Author Topic: A new clue to how the first cells originated  (Read 219 times)

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
A new clue to how the first cells originated
« on: August 13, 2019, 03:56:31 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/08/interlocking-puzzle-allowed-life-emerge/595945/

Life first arose in salty oceans, and salt catastrophically destabilizes the fatty-acid spheres. Also, certain ions, including magnesium and iron, cause the spheres to collapse, which is problematic since RNA—another key component of early protocells—requires these ions. How, then, could life possibly have arisen, when the compartments it needs are destroyed by the conditions in which it first emerged, and by the very ingredients it needs to thrive?

Caitlin Cornell and Sarah Keller have an answer to this paradox. They’ve shown that the spheres can withstand both salt and magnesium ions, as long as they’re in the presence of amino acids—the simple molecules that are the building blocks of proteins. The little suns that Cornell saw under her microscope were mixtures of amino acids and fatty acids, holding their spherical shape in the presence of salt.

Looks like two new gaps just opened up for creationists to stick God in.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:59:15 PM by gmalivuk »
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: A new clue to how the first cells originated
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 04:21:45 PM »
The quote above begins with an assumption. We don't know where or how the first cells arose.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »
Fine, "The oldest evidence we have for life comes from salty oceans."
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 01:48:53 PM »

Are there non-salty oceans? Even Billy Ocean is a little salty.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 12:26:54 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, which I might be, early on the oceans of the Earth were not salty. They became salty over time, and becomes slightly more salty every year.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 01:01:13 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, which I might be, early on the oceans of the Earth were not salty. They became salty over time, and becomes slightly more salty every year.

That would make sense.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

personate-rain
personate-rain