Author Topic: Ad Block Plus???  (Read 1282 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Ad Block Plus???
« on: December 12, 2015, 09:57:09 AM »
I had Ad Block Plus (the icon in the status bar says ABP) on the old computer. Today I realized that, of course, I don't have it on the new computer because I had not installed it yet. So I went to the Google Chrome store, found Ad.Block Plus, and installed it. When I launched it, it immediately opened 4 tabs in Chrome, of pure advertising!!! When I closed those tabs, what was left behind them was a Chrome browser window  without the usual tool bar or bookmarks bar. When I closed that, the Ad.Block Plus icon in the dock disappeared. (On the old computer the icon appears in the status bar; but this one appeared in the dock instead.)

What's going on??? Anybody know???

I found the app and dragged it to the trash. Then I went back to the chrome store, and read the reviews, which are all positive. Something is clearly not right. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline kvuo75

• Well Established
Re: Ad Block Plus???
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 10:44:47 AM »
mine's just adbock.. not plus.

i do remember one of the pop up windows when it installed was for a 'donation'.. once dismissed though they never came back.. functions fine..

edit:

decided to search in 'extensions'.. weird. there are a ton of "adblock"'s .. the one i use is the 'most popular' 'by getadblock.com'
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:48:48 AM by kvuo75 »

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 10:53:51 AM »
I am running Adblock Plus 2.6.13
Edit: I have not had any of the issues you described although I am beginning to see more adds making it through.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:05:54 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »
I run Ublock Orgin. Takes less to run it, and it seems to block things adblock didnt.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 12:09:56 PM »
I run Ublock Orgin. Takes less to run it, and it seems to block things adblock didnt.

I highly highly recommend switching to Ublock Origin.  It's 100% better than adblock and adblock plus. 
#non-belief denialist

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 12:59:31 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I've installed Ublock Origin.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »
The big blue button is 'sticky' and it is per site. So let's say you turn it off for CNN.  It will remember that setting but when you go to any other site it will stay on.   
#non-belief denialist

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 02:55:56 PM »
The big blue button is 'sticky' and it is per site. So let's say you turn it off for CNN.  It will remember that setting but when you go to any other site it will stay on.   

I'm sorry, I cannot figure out what you are referring to.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good adblocker for chrome on android?
I keep getting referred to an adblock browser in my google searches, which is not what I want.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 01:50:03 PM »
I keep getting referred to an adblock browser in my google searches, which is not what I want.

I don't know android, but I'm not sure that chrome even has plugins on android.....
#non-belief denialist

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »

I don't know android, but I'm not sure that chrome even has plugins on android.....
Yeah, Im thinking there must be an app that will work with chrome but Im hoping someone else has gone through the pain of experimenting already!

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 02:31:49 PM »

I highly highly recommend switching to Ublock Origin.  It's 100% better than adblock and adblock plus.

Thanks guys, appreciate the tip.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »
Likewise. I decided to give it a shot and so far it seems to be working wonderfully. Thanks a bunch! :D

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 08:45:49 PM »
Likewise. I decided to give it a shot and so far it seems to be working wonderfully. Thanks a bunch! :D

One very nice thing about it is that you can subscribe to multiple 'lists' and his code culls the duplicates.  Very handy.  Also, remember that the big blue button is sticky for the sites you visit.  So if say cnn.com breaks with ublock on, then you can just turn it off on the cnn.com page, and it will still remain on for everything else.

Be aware of the deceptively titled uBlock.  It's a fork of uBlock Origin.  Gorhill doesn't want donations, like the other one

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

The above is the correct github link

Chrome Link:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

Firefox Link:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

#non-belief denialist

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 01:33:49 AM »
I haven't read the thread, but uBlock Origin is the way to go for most people. It is (essentially) an in browser firewall against javascript.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain