Author Topic: How strongly connected is this forum to the SGU?  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
How strongly connected is this forum to the SGU?
« on: December 13, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »
How strongly connected is this forum to the SGU? How involved are they in the forum?

I have learned that the SGU doesn't even pay for the maintenance of this forum, which was a suprise for me. Steve makes a post whenever a new episode is uploaded, but that's it. I don't think any of them participates in forum discussions, though they might, or might not, occasionally lurk the forum.

Here it says that Louie "maintain[ s ] contacts with the Rogues, our bosses". What are those contact sessions about?

I know that some people here are Facebook friends with some of the Rogues, but since they have literally thousand of Facebook friends, I don't know if that means anything.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: How strongly connected is this forum to the SGU?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 09:32:13 PM »
In name only.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
Since the end of last month, the SGU does pay for the maintenance of the forum. We are an official part of the SGU. Jay has the final say on any forum matters on behalf of the SGU, but he leaves the day-to-day to the moderators. I can't state definitively how involved they are when it comes to posting to/reading the forum, but my estimate is 'not very'.

I'm in contact with Jay whenever something crops up that requires his attention - such as complaints made to him by forum visitors, (reports of) technical issues and the like. Changes to the forum rules also require his approval.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:29:29 AM »
I didnt realise that was the case.
Just upped to damn dirty ape in appreciation.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 09:01:45 AM »
As an FYI,

We've moved the payment for the forum over to SGU, my guess is that the server will do another move at some point, but I also increased my donation level to a value equal to the cost of the current server costs. 
#non-belief denialist

Offline Louie

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:03:29 AM »

That's the most disgusting euphemism I've read today, Harry.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »

That's the most disgusting euphemism I've read today, Harry.
Its not the most disgusting one Ive written today.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »
Since the end of last month, the SGU does pay for the maintenance of the forum. We are an official part of the SGU. Jay has the final say on any forum matters on behalf of the SGU, but he leaves the day-to-day to the moderators. I can't state definitively how involved they are when it comes to posting to/reading the forum, but my estimate is 'not very'.

I'm in contact with Jay whenever something crops up that requires his attention - such as complaints made to him by forum visitors, (reports of) technical issues and the like. Changes to the forum rules also require his approval.

Thanks for the detailed reply. So they have more of a from-the-top view of it then, rather than being much directly involved.

If you don't mind me asking (I suppose I probably shouldn't ask it, but I can't help myself), have you written anything about me?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Louie

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 03:09:56 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply. So they have more of a from-the-top view of it then, rather than being much directly involved.

If you don't mind me asking (I suppose I probably shouldn't ask it, but I can't help myself), have you written anything about me?

I have not. As far as Jay's concerned, interactions between you and the mods are part of the day-to-day. If members have a conflict with the moderators, they're free to appeal to Jay, but apart from that, we're responsible for enforcing the rules.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 04:37:22 PM »
No objections, no complaints.  But a clarification - I thought that at one point replying here to the WTN segment counted as an official response and made the responder eligible for recognition on the podcast.  How did that work?  Or am I mistaken?  Did something change?
Amend and resubmit.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »
No objections, no complaints.  But a clarification - I thought that at one point replying here to the WTN segment counted as an official response and made the responder eligible for recognition on the podcast.  How did that work?  Or am I mistaken?  Did something change?

When Evan was Noisymaster, he had a thread here in which he posted each Noisy and to which one could reply.  That was an official response.  Jay, as the new Noisymaster, chose not to continue that practice.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »

I have not. As far as Jay's concerned, interactions between you and the mods are part of the day-to-day. If members have a conflict with the moderators, they're free to appeal to Jay, but apart from that, we're responsible for enforcing the rules.

I see what you mean there.

Have the moderator or administrator team(s) made any attempts to track down by meatspace identity?

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 01:04:47 PM »

I see what you mean there.

Have the moderator or administrator team(s) made any attempts to track down by meatspace identity?

I sure haven't.  Why would we do that?
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Louie

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 05:41:24 PM »

Is there any particular reason you're asking us that?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 06:21:45 PM »
:munch:
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

personate-rain