Author Topic: I'm a Steam Dev now: GravBlocks released on Steam  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: I'm a Steam Dev now: GravBlocks released on Steam
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 06:03:07 PM »
Scrum is a form of Agile.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »
So my day job is writing highly targeted solutions for businesses, so whenever I get a chance to work with a design document I jump on it with both feet. My last job had a person who literally told us that the design document was "in her head" when we asked if we could write one. The place before that, I was able to write one. The current place has some documentation that we adhere and then don't adhere to. With this project with me, which again, I have not even begun to get off the ground, I've written down a pretty OK amount concerning what I want the "game board" (the model) to look like but a. since it's a one-man thing a lot of it's still in my own head, and b. I don't feel I'm good enough with Unity to really speak to how I'll render the view through the controller.

When you're working with multiple people, yeah, documentation is pretty great. I do seem to gravitate towards work environments that use Scrum, which maybe doesn't *quite* require you to have the same single robust design document that other techniques do, although at the very least if we have a story that requires a targeted solution we try to get use cases and, where possible, mockups (I'm a developer, not a designer). The issue I and I think others run into when they don't have a set document is that scope creep becomes a constant and ever-present thing.

But haven't you heard of AGILE?!  It's this wonderful thing where people don't bother to design things before hand, have coders put stuff together without clear requirements, and then continuously pay them to rebuild it!  It's got all the arbitrary deadlines of waterfall with extra soul crushing, "Let's throw this out!" and is useful for completely destroying any notion that clean code or documentation is anything other than a waste of time, precisely because you're going to keep throwing things out.  Best of all, when something finally is delivered, your expected to go in, after the fact, and then make all the documentation  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Are you smiling yet because this is the new trendy method that everyone should be adopting  ;D ;D ;D

Holy crap, I think I'm finding myself in agreement with Andrew on something......

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 10:43:21 PM »
So my day job is writing highly targeted solutions for businesses, so whenever I get a chance to work with a design document I jump on it with both feet. My last job had a person who literally told us that the design document was "in her head" when we asked if we could write one. The place before that, I was able to write one. The current place has some documentation that we adhere and then don't adhere to. With this project with me, which again, I have not even begun to get off the ground, I've written down a pretty OK amount concerning what I want the "game board" (the model) to look like but a. since it's a one-man thing a lot of it's still in my own head, and b. I don't feel I'm good enough with Unity to really speak to how I'll render the view through the controller.

When you're working with multiple people, yeah, documentation is pretty great. I do seem to gravitate towards work environments that use Scrum, which maybe doesn't *quite* require you to have the same single robust design document that other techniques do, although at the very least if we have a story that requires a targeted solution we try to get use cases and, where possible, mockups (I'm a developer, not a designer). The issue I and I think others run into when they don't have a set document is that scope creep becomes a constant and ever-present thing.

But haven't you heard of AGILE?!  It's this wonderful thing where people don't bother to design things before hand, have coders put stuff together without clear requirements, and then continuously pay them to rebuild it!  It's got all the arbitrary deadlines of waterfall with extra soul crushing, "Let's throw this out!" and is useful for completely destroying any notion that clean code or documentation is anything other than a waste of time, precisely because you're going to keep throwing things out.  Best of all, when something finally is delivered, your expected to go in, after the fact, and then make all the documentation  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Are you smiling yet because this is the new trendy method that everyone should be adopting  ;D ;D ;D

Holy crap, I think I'm finding myself in agreement with Andrew on something......

That's called frAgile by the thought leaders in the agile space. There may be an even more pathetic level of quasi adoption that should be called trAgile.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 10:04:50 AM »

We try to document everything and then fill in when the coding guys hit a wall or something isn't explained clearly.  I'm more of a designer, and I understand game concepts and how things should work in the game environment.  Trying to improve our documentation and organization has been an on-going task.  I think we'll be using Asana again to assign tasks, with some details in there.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 12:09:09 PM »
Have you heard of the BABOK Guide? The latest (version 3) has a lot of design thinking / business analysis from an Agile perspective. Pretty useful and informative.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 10:55:13 AM »
Purchased!
Will give it a whirl later on :-)
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 01:17:24 PM »
Purchased!
Will give it a whirl later on :-)

We appreciate it!  Steam has been great for us so far.  If you use a controller, use the D-pad, not the analog stick.  It's way faster.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

personate-rain