Author Topic: Making a Murderer- Lets all rage together  (Read 10193 times)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Making a Murderer- Lets all rage together
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 11:47:55 PM »
I hate you all for making me watch this show. 
#non-belief denialist

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 11:46:37 PM »
Finished episode 9.

How did they find Brenden guilty of all counts?  How?  Would I feel differently had I watched the first (and only) 3hr 10mn of the interview? Why did the defense agree to not show the last part of the tape?  I don't understand the American legal system

Online wastrel

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 11:47:45 PM »
Also, if not Steve and Brendan, then whom? Why? And whom?

Online wastrel

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 11:51:53 PM »
How does a judge come to the decision that a person should never see the free light of day again, and I see it so differently?  Is it just the framing of the documentary?

Online wastrel

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 12:03:10 AM »
dola, am I falling into a trap where I assume I am so much smarter than Brenden that I think that I would not be so easily mislead, yet he was?  Or is it a valid hypothesis?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:07:44 AM by wastrel »

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 05:36:57 AM »
Added to my watchlist.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
netflix actually.

edit: from hipster television

Godslayer: we get it, you hate everything, you know more than we do about how life works, and hate wasting your time more than anything. Why do you come in to these threads?
Guys, come on. We're losing sight of the bigger picture here, which is that it's all about Godslayer feeling superior to all of us. How is he going to be able to do so with all this backtalk?

I definitely want to watch this now, dammit. I hate you all for adding more television to my television.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 03:35:07 PM »
My only point of contention is, assuming Avery is innocent, how deep does the conspiracy go? What happened on that night?

Did a murder take place on his property and the police pinned it on him?
Did the police move the body at all?
What was planted and what wasn't?

Offline TheIrreverend

• A Nonsensical Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • On Her Majesty's Prosecution Service
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 04:08:47 PM »
How does a judge come to the decision that a person should never see the free light of day again, and I see it so differently?  Is it just the framing of the documentary?

Caveat: I have not watched this (yet).

All the reviews I have read do say that the filmmakers have a clear bias in favour of the accused.  It's definitely not neutral documentary making.  That's not a critique, to be clear.
"I'm this generation's Disney" - Kanye West, philosopher

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »

All the reviews I have read do say that the filmmakers have a clear bias in favour of the accused.  It's definitely not neutral documentary making.  That's not a critique, to be clear.

I read an interview with the documentarians where they mentioned they tried repeatedly to get the prosecution and police force to be involved, but they refused (although now they're claiming they were never asked although there's email evidence they were).

It's definitely at least slightly biased, but what do you do when one side refuses to talk?

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 10:06:40 PM »

I read an interview with the documentarians where they mentioned they tried repeatedly to get the prosecution and police force to be involved, but they refused (although now they're claiming they were never asked although there's email evidence they were).

It's definitely at least slightly biased, but what do you do when one side refuses to talk?

Yeah, I mean better to be clear in your bias then at least.  Watching the first episode (only one I've seen so far) it became very clear that the other side wasn't going to be represented except from videos and quotes that were publicly accessible.  That's fine so long as the film makers don't pretend otherwise.  They're basically acting as the advocate for the man in the court of public opinion.  Much preferred that to Serial's pretense at neutrality.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 05:53:49 PM »
Three episodes in and raging hard.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 07:30:49 PM »
So there's quite a bit missing from this documentary. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's all kind of messed up, but unlike Serial, I think this guy actually did it.

Take a look at this article (but only if you've seen the entire show)
#non-belief denialist

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
I have not seen the series and probably won't. (I get DVDs and BDs from Netflix, but I don't get Netflix streaming. I canceled it after a full month of never being able to get acceptable quality, even though my download speed tested excellent and Amazon video worked fine.)

Anyway, just wanted to weigh in on the legal system:

The verdict in a court case has far less to do with actual guilt or innocence, and is mostly determined by the skill and preparation of the lawyers. If you have money to hire a good lawyer, and to pay for the lawyer's time to prepare an adequate case, you're likely to get off, or to get a lesser sentence if the case against you is solid and the police and prosecutor don't make any procedural errors. If you have a public defender you are twice screwed: The public defender's office is overweighted with lawyers who were not good enough to get jobs in the private sector, and even if you are lucky enough to draw the long straw and get a good one, s/he is so overworked that s/he does not have the time necessary to prepare a solid case. So you're going to be convicted unless the police messed up so badly that their errors are obvious, AND the prosecutor is too incompetent to cover it up.

Criminal court is not a place where truth is uncovered. It's a debating club where the most capable and better-prepared lawyer wins.

Cops are not all bad. But there is enough corruption within police forces to further screw the poor and racial minorities.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online wastrel

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 08:30:47 PM »
So there's quite a bit missing from this documentary. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's all kind of messed up, but unlike Serial, I think this guy actually did it.

Take a look at this article (but only if you've seen the entire show)

Forgot your link

personate-rain