Author Topic: Good books translated into English? My suggestion "The three-body problem"  (Read 983 times)

Offline God Bomb

• Keeps Priorities Straight
"The three-body problem" was originally written in Chinese by author Liu Cixin.

The book starts during the cultural revolution but most of the narrative takes place in the near future when a nanotech researcher gets lured into a strange VI game (like virtual reality) set on an alternate chaotic Earth where nobody knows if or when the sun will rise. 

I didn't finish the book yet but its really good, especially the parts where he is in the game.  For me it's kind of obvious from the structure and narrative of this book that it's from a different culture and background.  it just feels different, and it's interesting.
It's really like nothing else I've ever read, which makes me curious to try other foreign language sci fi (or other) which have been translated. 
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline sidoniealaise

• Brand New
The biggest drawback that I have found for myself with using audiobooks is that I often get sleepy while listening to them and start to doze off and stop engaging actively in what I am listening to because lying there listening to an audiobook is more passive compared to actually holding a book or reader and scanning the words visually.

On the plus side, a lot of fiction is narrative driven and I find that these type of books are very well suited for audiobooks. The same is true of plays and performances. I would never sit down and read one of Shakespeare's plays but they are quite good as audiobooks especially if the narrators are worth their salt.

Offline God Bomb

ok... so why not read the actual book?  Why are you talking about audiobooks?

Offline God Bomb

update:

I finished the book and it's sequel "dark forest", the title of which refers to a very pessimistic view of the universe than is kind of scary if you think about it.

I was unsure how the second book would be, given that the best and most entertaining part of book 1 could no longer be used as  a device.  But the author had another trick up his sleeve and it was difficult to put the book down.

translation of 3rd book comes out later this year.

Offline InsanePat

• coward among the cowards
nott sure why the audiobook was mentionned, either. but try listening to it at three times the normal speed while doing exercise, you won't sleep ! Takes some getting used to, though.

Not sure about english translations, since I only read the french ones, but I rather liked ranpo edogawa's books - the red chamber (short story) being the one that standed out in my mind.
In a different genre, Yasunari Kawabata, meijin - but that might be in part because i was a go player.