Author Topic: The Dresden Files or something else?  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Grimner

• Well Established
Re: The Dresden Files or something else?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 06:09:21 PM »
You might try King Henry 'aka Foul Mouth' Price.
http://richardraley.blogspot.no/2011/09/meet-king-henry-price-geomancer.html

Curiously the book is written as a series of audio files, but I cannot find audiobooks of these. One can only hope, since they are pretty good. Irreverent, good fun & magic and I have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes. The vamps do not sparkle and both setting and language is more realistic than I am used to. Perhaps not suitable reading for anyone living in and loving the fine city of Fresno, Ca.
Quaere verum

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »
Oh, I forgot a series. The Vlad Taltos series by Stephen Brust.
 Somewhere between crime Noir and low to high fantasy. The main character has a familiar, and their interaction is very Bob and Harry. The humor is very Butcher style as well.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline Sciwoman

• Off to a Start
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »
I'm enjoying the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka. It is set in London, but the main character has the same distrust and dislike of the establishment of the magic world as Dresden. 

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 04:47:27 AM »
I'm enjoying the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka. It is set in London, but the main character has the same distrust and dislike of the establishment of the magic world as Dresden.

I just finished the most recent book in this series, I really enjoyed these as well.

You might also like The Rivers of London series, I think I found these even more charming than Alex Verus. There were a few scenes in Alex Verus that were just a bit horrific. I did make it through, but with cringing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_of_London_(novel)

Offline Sciwoman

• Off to a Start
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 07:37:53 PM »

I just finished the most recent book in this series, I really enjoyed these as well.

You might also like The Rivers of London series, I think I found these even more charming than Alex Verus. There were a few scenes in Alex Verus that were just a bit horrific. I did make it through, but with cringing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_of_London_(novel)
I've read the first book of that series. It was released with the name Midnight Riot here in the US. Once I've finished the books I'm working on now, I'll have to catch up on that series.

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 04:47:21 PM »
Another suggestion I'll make is Garrett PI by Glen Cook.
 It's similar to Dresden, but whereas Dresden is a urban fantasy, Garrett is a PI working in a more traditional fantasy setting.
 It's also much closer to a Noir/Hardboiled detective story.
 I mostly enjoy it, with the caveat that there is no Murphy.
 Most of the women are pretty shallow, one note characters.
 There is a pretty egregious scene in the first book. A annoying antagonistic character takes out a heavy to give Garrett a beating.
 He pays to have her spanked, then stripped.

It seems to get better over time, but it's still present.
 - Richard Feynman

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 01:36:49 AM »
Another suggestion I'll make is Garrett PI by Glen Cook.
 It's similar to Dresden, but whereas Dresden is a urban fantasy, Garrett is a PI working in a more traditional fantasy setting.
 It's also much closer to a Noir/Hardboiled detective story.
 I mostly enjoy it, with the caveat that there is no Murphy.
 Most of the women are pretty shallow, one note characters.
 There is a pretty egregious scene in the first book. A annoying antagonistic character takes out a heavy to give Garrett a beating.
 He pays to have her spanked, then stripped.

It seems to get better over time, but it's still present.
Garrett PI was what first got me interested in the Eberron campaign setting. It's very much in the Dashiell Hammet vein of pulp noir, and the shallow female characters reflect that, disappointingly, but it was certainly entertaining in the same way that rewatching 30 Rock is.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 03:36:02 AM »
Yeah, in some ways it feels like a Dresden prototype.
 Dresden started out with fairly shallow/weak female characters but grew as the books went along.
 Not getting that as much from this series.
 As you pointed out, part of it is to do with the style it's emulating.
 - Richard Feynman