Author Topic: I predict Song of Ice and Fire will NEVER be finished  (Read 5179 times)

Offline Kosh62

• Keeps Priorities Straight
I predict Song of Ice and Fire will NEVER be finished
« on: January 08, 2016, 03:35:59 PM »
I'm gonna be the first to be so bold and predict that GRRM will NEVER finish Winds of Winter or Hope/Dream of Spring. It's five years and counting and Winds is still nowhere near done according to Martin. And this is after he re-structured the ending to Dance with Dragons and cut about a hundred pages from that book, moving those pages to the beginning of Winds to give him a head start. And with the HBO series breathing down his neck.

Let's say Winds manages to come out in another year. I imagine GRRM will then take maybe a year or two "off" from the series to re-charge before making the final push on the ending in Spring. Since Spring will be the grand resolution of this sprawling saga, I can imagine it will take longer to write than any other volume thus far. Since the last few books have taken about five to six years to produce, that means Spring might take GRRM close to a decade or more to write. I really don't think we can expect to see Spring anytime before 2030! The man is 67 years old. I haven't read of any health problems but he does appear obese. Just the normal decline of aging is undoubtedly going to affect his concentration and creativity and slow him down further.

And I'm fine with this. I realize GRRM is "not our bitch" He doesn't owe us another book.

But I also don't care anymore.

Half a decade is really far too long between installments of a story as complex as Fire and Ice. If it wasn't for the TV show, how many people would remember all the plot points between volumes. We have lives. We read other books. We see movies, follow TV shows, comics, politics. A Dance With Dragons really should have had a synopsis of the preceding volumes printed in the front. Who has time to go back and re-read these massive tomes every five years to re-fresh one's memory, no matter how much we enjoy them??? 

So for me, the TV show is now the story. IF they ever do come out, I can't imagine reading the books after seeing the ending on GAME OF THRONES. I stopped reading novelizations of movies and TV series as a teenager. And that's all the final two books are going to be now. Just glorified, lengthy novelizations.

So here's to  A GAME OF THRONES. A great TV series that totally has eclipsed it's source material. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:46:56 PM by Kosh62 »

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: I predict Song of Ice and Fire will NEVER be finished
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 03:56:06 PM »
YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

:cry:
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Kosh62

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:07:02 PM »
YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

I feel like the Hound explaining the truth to Sansa about knights and chivalry.....

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 04:09:27 PM »
Seriously though, I have come to believe this is a very real possibility, and it makes me sad.

I have an online acquaintance who writes stories for the Wild Cards series, and occasionally I rib him about keeping GRRM distracted from his most pressing assignment.

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

I feel like the Hound explaining the truth to Sansa about knights and chivalry.....

Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 10:02:52 PM »
His time line does seem to be getting stretched:

ASOIAF Book 1: 1996
ASOIAF Book 2: 1998
ASOIAF Book 3: 2000
ASOIAF Book 4: 2005
ASOIAF Book 5: 2011

Back in march 2015, he thought October was a reasonable limit to have Winds finished, witch a stretch goal December 2015. But with the recent update, I dont know how much he has finished. And with his love for rewriting and retweaking all his various story lines, I dont know if he will ever get done. Becoming rich and famous has limited him I think. He seems to spend far more time interacting with his fans than writing.

A revealing part of his update was him saying something along the lines of "three days ago I was working on the end of a reek chapter, and in a few days Ill work on the book again", so in five or six days, he will have worked on the book once or twice? That doesnt seem to be a serious effort.

But I cant hold it against him, im a master procrastinator.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 05:19:33 AM »
Blasphemy!
:)

I listened to all of the audio books in 2014, so it isn't so bad for me, yet.

I would listen again as well, they were great and it was a very immersive  experience with 46 hour long narrations.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 06:05:39 AM »
I feel I can't complain about waiting.  I've only been waiting for the next book since season 3 and there are people who've been reading from the beginning.

As for finishing Spring any time soon, I imagine it will be faster than his other books as he already knows more or less what is going to happen. 

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
    • The old Skeptics SA website
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 07:50:00 AM »
Haven't bothered with the books, never will. Double down on that now. About two years ago a friend and I were discussing this very topic, his latest book. Friend has read the books, me not. Both watched TV show. The conclusion we reached is he will die before he finishes the series. (i.e. killing every single characters we like.)

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 06:05:28 PM »

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 06:23:26 PM »
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 05:32:14 PM »
That's actually pretty shocking, if true.  It's very hard to believe that he's not slower than Jordan, even on a per page basis...

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 08:54:15 PM »
I calculated it myself and drew the line. In hindsight the y intercept should have been up at the page count of Eye of the World rather than zero, but the end count and time are right.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 09:54:57 PM »
He is writing at a snails pace, he cut a third of "a dance with dragons" to "get a jump start" on winds of winter. That was in 2011, just a couple weeks ago,  he put out a statement that said he only had a few hundred pages done. He also said "I worked on a Ramsay chapter three days ago,  and I plan on working on that chapter on the weekend" so he worked on his book twice in seven days.... I think he is running out of steam.

Plus with the show now ahead of him,  he will be able to see people react to the plot of the show,  which will cause him to want to change the plot of the book,  and that will increase the amount of rewrites. It's a vicious cycle

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 07:27:55 AM »
I actually didnt think the last book was very good anyway so I dont care either, he has lost my interest.
I will still buy the next one if it comes out though.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »
I actually didnt think the last book was very good anyway so I dont care either, he has lost my interest.
I will still buy the next one if it comes out though.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement here.  I was disappointed with the last book, but I still want to see a resolution to the stories.

personate-rain
personate-rain