Author Topic: I predict Song of Ice and Fire will NEVER be finished  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: I predict Song of Ice and Fire will NEVER be finished
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 02:07:18 PM »
I have been ridiculously spoiled by Brandon Sanderson's seemingly inhuman ability to write.

Even given that though, Martin is pretty ridiculous in his pace. It doesn't help that he's completely incapable (and he's admitted this) of writing anywhere but on an ancient DOS machine at his house. No laptop on the road. Given the sheer amount he travels it means there are these long stretches where even if he had significant downtime (on planes etc) he just doesn't write.

And frankly, it's inexcusable. He HAS lost entire manuscripts or large sections of them before because of his reliance on that single, ancient, machine.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 07:07:04 AM »
I suspect he may be dealing with severe anxiety regarding the work and may find it hard to sif down and write what he ought to. Right now, everyone loves his work, but once he finishes it, people will make their opinion of the entire thing based on the ending.
Thats a lot of pressure.

Offline gervasium

• Off to a Start
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 06:50:50 AM »
I have been ridiculously spoiled by Brandon Sanderson's seemingly inhuman ability to write.

Even given that though, Martin is pretty ridiculous in his pace. It doesn't help that he's completely incapable (and he's admitted this) of writing anywhere but on an ancient DOS machine at his house. No laptop on the road. Given the sheer amount he travels it means there are these long stretches where even if he had significant downtime (on planes etc) he just doesn't write.

And frankly, it's inexcusable. He HAS lost entire manuscripts or large sections of them before because of his reliance on that single, ancient, machine.

He also types with only one finger.

EDIT: I don think that if you consider the chart above and add the 5 years it took from beginning of writing to publication of the first book, he's actually not really slowing down as much as he had a turbo boost from Clash to Storm, and that's because he adequately set up the conflicts that are solved in Storm throughout the other two books. Then he had to start over. Assuming he has done the same with Feast/Dance, and that as he says, threads are starting to converge, I think we can expect Dream to be far faster than Winds.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:07:29 AM by gervasium »
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Hanlon's Razor

What? No, I'm definitely not a troll.

Offline gcason

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 03:04:49 PM »
After Robert Jordan died before completing The Wheel of Time series, I've been hoping that Martin has detailed outlines and notes in case someone has to finish it for him.
My name is gcason and I approved this message.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 08:52:48 PM »
Hurm, I wonder who could finish the book.

Offline estockly

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 10:16:12 PM »

I wonder how long Foundation Empire series and the Dune series took to write
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 12:37:42 AM »

I wonder how long Foundation Empire series and the Dune series took to write

Dune is going to fall below everything but the LOTR set, assuming you are looking only at the Frank Herbert series.  Spans 65-85, and around 2600 pages.

Offline estockly

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 12:45:11 AM »
First Foundation was in the early 50s. The last in the 90s. And different authors are still writing more.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 10:21:37 AM »
As far as Foundation goes, shared universe and single series are different things.  Even the original 50s Foundation books individually are more shared universe short stories/novellas than they are a proper series.  Start counting shared universe and now you're putting up the entire bibliographies of Heinlein and Niven, among others.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »
I actually didnt think the last book was very good anyway so I dont care either, he has lost my interest.
I will still buy the next one if it comes out though.

Weird.

I had to grind my way through "Feast for Crows" (I am certain I'll never read that book again) but I felt like "Dance With Dragons" clipped along at a nice pace and was quite good. 
Well.  There it is.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 10:42:31 AM »
Interesting. As far as I'm concerned they're all the same, which is to say way too slow-paced and boring.

Offline estockly

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 11:18:06 AM »
As far as Foundation goes, shared universe and single series are different things.  Even the original 50s Foundation books individually are more shared universe short stories/novellas than they are a proper series.  Start counting shared universe and now you're putting up the entire bibliographies of Heinlein and Niven, among others.

It's been a long time since I read the Foundation books, but,  as I recall, it was a very linear series. One book directly following the previous. I would only count those.

Don't know about Niven, but very little of Heinlein's work share a universe, although he wrote one book that suggested that all of literature actually shared a multi-universe.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 11:20:59 AM »
very little of Heinlein's work share a universe,

Quote from: wikipedia
The following is a chronology of the Future History. Years are included (where known) to indicate when each story takes place within the narrative timeline. Stories that were planned but never written are noted; see explanatory comments below.
(click to show/hide)
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 06:14:35 PM »

The following is a chronology of the Future History. Years are included (where known) to indicate when each story takes place within the narrative timeline. Stories that were planned but never written are noted; see explanatory comments below.
(click to show/hide)

That list is not complete as to what all occurred in the same "universe" just how he preconceived all the future History stories.  There are many more short stories and novels in those same fictions and/or interacted with them. Most of his work ties together at the end.

In "The Number of the Beast" they visit other writers fictions (Barsoom, Lensman, Land of Oz) eventually linking up with events and characters from "Time Enough for Love" then in turn linking with characters from "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" in "Cat who walks through walls" as well as characters from "Stranger in a strange land"
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline estockly

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 07:33:12 PM »

(click to show/hide)

That list is not complete as to what all occurred in the same "universe" just how he preconceived all the future History stories.  There are many more short stories and novels in those same fictions and/or interacted with them. Most of his work ties together at the end.

In "The Number of the Beast" they visit other writers fictions (Barsoom, Lensman, Land of Oz) eventually linking up with events and characters from "Time Enough for Love" then in turn linking with characters from "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" in "Cat who walks through walls" as well as characters from "Stranger in a strange land"

Yea, but in that book he also linked his work to universes of Shakespeare, Star Wars and Star Trek.

I'd read most of the books in that list (well, most of the ones that were actually written) and while there may be common threads I think it's a stretch to say they're in the same series, the way the other books we're discussing are. Each stands on its own with it's own beginning and end.

personate-rain