Author Topic: Mixing beard oils?  (Read 982 times)

Offline 0grea0

• Brand New
Mixing beard oils?
« on: January 09, 2016, 12:39:27 PM »
So... i think this thread fits here better than anywhere else.

I like using beard oils, they arn't bank breaking but i figure i could do it cheaper myself.  Having looked at my prefered oils I think i'd like grapeseed or almond oil + somthing to make me smell gorgeous :P.  I like me some old spice so... maybe i'll try that!

Anyone tried mixing their own oils?  any tips or pitfalls?
Cheers!
G

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Mixing beard oils?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 06:18:21 PM »
I cannot imagine why you would want to put oil in your beard. It sounds kind of gross to me. But if that's your thing, I really doubt you'd do yourself any harm mixing your own edible oils and scents. Some essential herb oils have a pleasant scent.

When I was 15 years old (over half a century ago) we used to put Brylcream in our hair. I don't know why we did it. Back then, it was the thing to do. That's why people used to put antimacassars on their chairs. Because men used hair oil.

Anyway, I say go for it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 08:31:19 AM »
Well.  There it is.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:06:24 AM »
I think Dapper Dan predated my teen-age years. Isn't Dapper Dan the brand that George Clooney's character insisted on having in O Brother Where Art Thou? Was it even a real thing, or was it just made up for the movie?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:11:13 AM »
I'm almost certain it was made up for the movie.
Well.  There it is.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 10:17:16 AM »
I have used beard oil but I never mixed it myself, I'm sure it would be much cheaper. Lately I have been sporting the Van dyke so its not necessary but i am thinking of growing another long one.

Olive oil works wonders but I reserved that for the shower.

My beard softener process (once a week)
A stop washing it, dont wash it ever, just rinse, soap is the enemy
B Use Olive oil, let it sit in the beard for 10 min then rinse
C Use conditioner, let it sit in the beard for 10 min then rinse

Your beard is now soft, add some beard oil for control

BTW for those that dont know beard oil is nothing like brill or pomade and long beards require extra care if you want to keep them soft and groomed.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 10:19:01 AM »
I've been using coconut oil for a while, with good effects

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 10:23:22 AM »
Would adding a little essential oil to the mix be nice? (Sandalwood, Lavender, etc) Or is even a tiny bit of scent overwhelming in a long beard situation?

Well.  There it is.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 10:24:01 AM »
I have often had beards but never beard oil. Hmm. The issue I have with mixing your own is that if you mix 2 parts grapeseed oil and 2 parts almond oil it is a fine concoction, but it it's 2 parts grapeseed and 2.01 parts almond, you have created a deadly poison which will kill anyone who attempts to kiss you.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 10:25:25 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/07/beard-oil-facial-hair_n_5629592.html

Beard oil keeps facial hair flake-free and smelling fresh.

Thanks to moisturizing oils, a little beard oil is just enough to tame those flyaway hairs and eliminate flakes (a.k.a. beard-druff). And with so many musky/woody essential oils like cedarwood and sandalwood, Schneidman points out that this often overlooked product also acts as a natural cologne.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 10:28:21 AM by Simon Jester »

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 03:46:17 PM »
Its an old thread but worth further discussion for my bearded brethren.

Beard oil is still extremely expensive and an absolute necessity, not to mention the other products I put in it daily.

I never got into mixing my own and I no longer do the Olive oil/conditioner treatment.

I use a beard conditioner while I shower then oil, and mustache wax. Lately I have been using hair spray to keep it managed but I noticed it drys out my beard a bit and I need a better option.

I don't know how I missed this for so long, I'm joining today. This looks like a much better option along the likes of shave club for men. The marketing has me wanting to purchase their products regardless of price but $2 per month for oil vs the $11 I pay at Walmart or CVS seems like a much better deal, i'm not sure I need monthly mustache wax but do need it, i'm not completely not sure how it works yet.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »
I ordered, I see the beard oil is only .5oz compared to the 1oz bottles I get now but that's still less than half the cost.

Its really just a recurring monthly order that you can alter as needed and drop out at any time, I got both oils, regular and sandlewood as well as mustache wax and the shampoo/conditioner to try it out.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 01:59:52 AM »
As a male that has never been able to grow a beard (tiny whiskers only on one side only after radiotherapy) I find this thread amusing. 

When I was a young buck, being beardless was a distinct advantage with females.  Could have been a direct link to squamous cell carcinoma, though.  A real pain in the neck.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 01:26:53 PM »
I think Dapper Dan predated my teen-age years. Isn't Dapper Dan the brand that George Clooney's character insisted on having in O Brother Where Art Thou? Was it even a real thing, or was it just made up for the movie?

It's a real thing:

The toy company Playskool in the 1970s made a toy doll named "Dapper Dan," which was designed to teach children how to operate garment closures like zippers, buttons, and snaps.

personate-rain
personate-rain