Author Topic: The Expanse - James S.A. Corey  (Read 1430 times)

Online Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
The Expanse - James S.A. Corey
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:41:09 AM »
I know others will have read this series, it has been fantastic. I have just started the latest novel in the series, Book 5 Nemesis Games.

It doesn't have the seriously creepy/gross factor of some of the books, but it is far better than the previous one, Cibola Burn, which I really didn't care for that much.

Anyone else currently reading?

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: The Expanse - James S.A. Corey
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 01:20:02 AM »
I just today re-downloaded the first Expanse book. Next in line after Foundation.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 01:44:43 AM »
I just today re-downloaded the first Expanse book. Next in line after Foundation.

I'm listening to the first book apace with the show. It is fascinating to see how they have translated the tale to tv. The differences are striking, but all seem reasonable to me so far.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 11:22:46 AM »
From another thread as these books were fresh in my mind:

I just finished all the available books in 'The Expanse' by James S.A. Corey (made up name for two guys who write the series).

Leviathan Wakes was absolutely amazing, an atmospheric, futuristic, creepy thrilling, detective story. Seriously, I had to stop reading it a few times, especially at night as it gave me the creeps, a truly visceral reaction.

The second book, Calaban's War, was almost as good.

Then the books sort of fades a bit, and the last one, Cibola Burns, is mediocre at best. They do have a few more books planned, I hope they manage to come up with something a wee bit better.

I think the popularity of the first two books may have forced them to write a bit too quickly for the publishers.

I can  state they have come up with something better in Nemesis Games.While it is lacking the creepiness that I quite enjoyed in the first two books, they have expanded the Expanse universe to include all of the 'home planets', including Mars and Earth.

I am half way through, and they have still created amazing tension with their writing, and I like the style of flipping back and forth from all of the crew of the Rocinante from chapter to chapter.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 11:48:11 AM »
am i the only one who finds the show boring and predictable or am I just a jaded cynical sci fi fan?
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »
None of those are mutually exclusive options. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »
am i the only one who finds the show boring and predictable or am I just a jaded cynical sci fi fan?

You could be both the only one finding it boring and predictable AND also jaded an cynical.

#non-belief denialist

Online Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 12:36:48 PM »

I haven't seen the TV show but I can't see how it could compare to the books.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 10:39:28 PM »

If you haven't read the book, then I guarantee that whatever you are predicting isn't how it ends up turning out.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

personate-rain