Author Topic: Fanfiction and the future of books  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Fanfiction and the future of books
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »
The future will see more and better writers than ever before. Why? Well, to become a good writer you need talent, but you also need practice and honest criticism. And of course, you need to read a lot, both good writing (to learn the dos) and bad writing (to learn the don'ts).

With the advent of fanfiction sites, there has been an explosion in opportunity to get practice and honest criticism. As well as examples of both good and bad writing. The Internet generation will be better writers than any earlier generation.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Ah.hell

Re: Fanfiction and the future of books
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:02:04 PM »
Fan-fiction sites have been around for awhile.  I think a more interesting and mostly detrimental trend is the access to self-publishing at aimed toward the general audience like Amazon. 

Why is it bad?  The lack of publishers to act as gate keepers makes it even harder to find the good fiction among the bad.  I'm left with using price as the only metric. after having bought several crappy but cheap e books.  :'(

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 05:16:00 AM »
Shower thought: fanfic is to movies/tv/books as mods are to computer games. Good ones improve the experience, bad ones don't, wacky ones are good for a laugh.

Self-published books and indie games have a lot in common. The reviews and WOM are the gatekeepers now. Indie movies too. The upside to publishers is that they screen out more of the outright garbage, but the downside is that like any big distributor they're less likely to take a chance stepping away from the mainstream.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 05:27:54 AM »
Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey both started out as fanfiction.

I rest my case.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 08:12:53 AM »
I don't know, I've heard there is this thing called Shifter Romance and it gives me the shivers!
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:57:30 AM »
As he bent over his laptop, furiously typing his response to the thread's now meandering topic, droplets of sweat began to bead on his furrowed brow.  He gently caressed the touchpad, moving the pointer towards the "post" button, and a sense of anticipation, muddled with guilt, began to take hold...
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 02:30:05 PM »
Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey both started out as fanfiction.

I rest my case.

The Soviet Union started out as Communist.

I rest my case.

:P
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

personate-rain