Author Topic: Video Games You'd Like to Play (but they haven't been made yet)  (Read 3120 times)

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Video Games You'd Like to Play (but they haven't been made yet)
« on: January 12, 2016, 08:21:35 AM »
I had this idea of a game that is a bit of a mix between a Sim City, Civilisation, Caesar and Banished.

I love city building games, but I am frustrated by their lack of historical context. SimCities have an American perspective, and you start your city in the recent past, then develop it to the future. This means that you cannot organically develop your city in a way cities actually developed.

I'd love a game where you start your city in the distant past, maybe in the late Neoltihic  and then develop it from there. There would be separate stages, Stone Age,  Classical Antiquity (Bronze Age+Iron Age), Middle Ages, Early Modern age, Late Modern age, 20th century and beyond. Each age would have specific challenges to overcome through urban development: food supply, water supply, hunting, agriculture commerce, industry, public health, etc, specific to the time period.

The cities would develop based on their past and the local features.

Another feature would be that your city could be conquered by foreign nations, which would bring new laws (requirements, bonuses for trade/industry, etc) and architectural styles. There would be other destructive events, such as natural disasters, uprisings, also somewhat dependent on the time period.

A well-managed city would provide great bonuses to its nation, resulting in a much greater supply of money and prestige points, which could be used for major works, such as cathedrals, castles/fortresses, universities, etc or even great wonders, that will provide additional bonuses based on the time period. A Cathedral, for example would be good for public order and happiness in mid-game, and would boost tourism in the late game. After a destructive event, a prosperous city would have more outside help for rebuilding than one that is already bankrupt, but even a city that has barely made it through the Middle Ages could prosper later if the local conditions and resources are more favourable for that time.

There would be benefits to tearing things down, but in the long run, historical buildings would also be useful, so balancing between conservation and redevelopment would be one of the core challenges, along with keeping the city prosperous and developing.

It might be too complicated, but I think this would be doable...

What do y'all think of it, or do you have any other dream games.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Video Games You'd Like to Play (but they haven't been made yet)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 08:38:37 AM »
start coding, ill play that!
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:49:21 AM »
A choose your own adventure game where people are given the introduction and first choice nodes.  Then when they select a choice that hasn't been made yet, they're prompted to write the next section or go back.  Sections get filled in like so and users generate the story branches, but they get to do so on any server system they want (or host one themselves), so that not everyone is forced to collaborate with everyone else, but only with people who play on the same server.  So there can be writer groups who work together to build the branching stories as well as public servers.  It's as exclusive as the users want.  Then if all choices eventually dead end, a work can be saved as a "completed story" and modified or edited locally by whomever wants.  All code should fall under some GPL and all work default to creative commons.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:16:54 AM »
Two of the games my team are working on.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »
An open world Pokemon MMORPG.

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 07:09:25 PM »
Virtual Reality game based on Ant-Man.  I want to see the world scale up as I shrink down.  It could even be 3rd person.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 07:59:53 PM »
A marvel superhero sandbox game where you switch between a few different characters in different storylines but can only gain access to or find certain areas/missions with certain characters powers/senses or a combination of a few different heroes.
An edited version of the metal gear games where I get the gameplay and some silly action movie plot, but not the awful self indulgent dross that makes up most of the series.

Most of all- Shenmue 3!!!!!!

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 08:18:22 PM »
An open world Pokemon MMORPG.
They have that in World of Warcraft, now.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 09:35:42 PM »
*snip*

That is a fantastic idea. I'd pay good money for a game like that.

As for myself, I have a few ideas:

A third-person survival game set in a low-tech but non-fantasy world. Think Skyrim with all the magic and monsters and such taken out and hardcore survival gameplay instead. Or to put it another way, Unreal World with Skyrim graphics.

A procedurally generated open-world driving game. Think something like Test Drive Unlimited, with realistic cities, streets, countryside roads, freeways, etc., but generated procedurally rather than hand-crafted, resulting in an infinite world where you can just keep driving to new places forever. Then dump Need for Speed-like illegal street races, standard circuit races, off-road races, and Truck Simulator cargo deliveries, taxi mission, ambulance missions, playing as a cop chasing after street racers, etc., etc. into this infinite world and let the player make his fortune in whatever way he wants (as long as it involves driving in some form).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:21:23 AM by Sordid »

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 12:08:09 AM »
A third-person survival game set in a low-tech but non-fantasy world. Think Skyrim with all the magic and monsters and such taken out and hardcore survival gameplay instead. Or to put it another way, Unreal World with Skyrim graphics.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 01:20:31 AM »
Yes, I'm well aware of that game. The only part of my description it meets is "low-tech non-fantasy world".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:44:25 AM by Sordid »

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 02:49:31 AM »
Yes, I'm well aware of that game. The only part of my description that meets is "low-tech non-fantasy world".
You're thinking like a mix between DayZ and Farcry Primal?
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 03:47:37 AM »
I have no idea how DayZ plays and what you actually do in it.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 03:58:48 AM »
Right now it's in year three of beta. It's mostly scavenging food and medical supplies and weapons by murdering others or looting zombie-filled buildings. There's been a host of offshoots as ARMA III mods, with the original DayZ mod going so far as to include some fairly intensive base-building.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 05:01:11 AM »
None of those things would be in my dream game.

personate-rain
personate-rain