Author Topic: Twitter users/numbers  (Read 609 times)

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Twitter users/numbers
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:53:03 PM »
Having an interesting couple of minutes, making me think about what portion of people are "active" twitterers.

I was retweeted by an account with 141K followers.  In about 10 minutes, according to the little Analytics tab, that tweet was seen by 147 people.  So about 1 in 1000 of this guy's followers are actively online for this period, which happend to sync up with just after work in the Eastern time zone for 9 to 5ers.

I dunno.  I guess I would have thought it was more than 1/1000.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Twitter users/numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »
227 views in 15 minutes.  Rate is going down slightly.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:16:27 PM »
0.1% seems about right to me. There are a lot of inactive / bot accounts for one thing. I understand that most normal users don't go rummaging back through the stream to see what's happened; they dip in a few times a day or when they get an alert from an @mention or DM.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 06:25:54 PM »
Yeah and I suppose all those folks who follow hundreds of accounts can't possibly read everything.  I've pared down to 193 follows and it's all I can do to keep up (weekends and busy evenings I end up losing).
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »
I keep meaning to try and use Twitter more, but I never seem to have much to say. I have 283 followers.
Self-described nerd

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 07:21:46 PM »
I'm a rockstar.  I have 345, and I have blocked dozens (hundreds?) or spam/bot accounts over the years.  I'm convinced that my 345 are real humans.

Regardless - it is easy to be an audience on Twitter.  A content sink rather than a content source.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:23:51 PM by amysrevenge »
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »
What's a Twitter?
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »
I once signed up for a Twitter account, out of curiosity. I used an email address created for the purpose. Checked it occasionally for a week, then decided I wasn't interested. I don't believe I ever sent a tweet. I think I "followed" two or three people connected with something that interested me.

I have forgotten my Twitter name and I have forgotten the email I used. So somewhere out there is a dead Twitter account and a dead email account that probably gets emails.

I also have a fake Facebook account that I use only to check the Facebook page of the farm where I get fresh veggies in summer. The email for the Facebook page gets about one email every day telling me "Maybe you know so-and-so" or "Here's some reason you should log into your Facebook page," or whatever. Three or four times a year I go to that email and bulk delete all those emails. Since I only used it to sign up for Facebook, I don't have to open any of them before deleting, unless I'm bored and want to see what spam they're sending me. I never log into my Facebook page, but I have to have the account and the cookie in order to be able to view the farm's page. In summer, they post every day what veggies are available. I also "liked" the SGU on my fake Facebook account, just in case the number of likes helps them somehow. I don't think I've ever actually looked at their page other than to give them the like.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 10:45:35 AM »
Ive considered using it to communicate with my favoured content creators (the often have small audiences) as no one seems to open emails anymore but I just cant be arsed.

personate-rain
personate-rain