Author Topic: Perry DeAngelis Memorial Fund  (Read 7259 times)

Offline BrianEngler

• Off to a Start
    • Facebook Page
Perry DeAngelis Memorial Fund
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »
Quote from: "skepticalmama"
I sure wish there was something we could all do.  I need to make his family something.  I'll be donating to the show in his name as well.

:cry:

Mike has a link for specifying donations go to the Perry DeAngelis Memorial Fund at http://www.sgufans.net/
He's also interested in suggestions for how that fund should be used.
Brian Engler

In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office.
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:58:20 AM »
I just want to make this clear.  People have been asking me about this.  This is setup with the NESS.  The donations go directly to them.  The decision as to what to do with the donations will be made by the people closest to Perry.  They have better knowledge and understanding of what he would want done with it in his memory.
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline BrianEngler

• Off to a Start
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:14:13 AM »
Quote from: "Mike"
I just want to make this clear.  People have been asking me about this.  This is setup with the NESS.  The donations go directly to them.  The decision as to what to do with the donations will be made by the people closest to Perry.  They have better knowledge and understanding of what he would want done with it in his memory.

Thanks for clarifying, Mike.  I saw the connection with the NESS when I went through the process and should have mentioned that in my post.  I certainly agree that they're in the best position to make the final decision, but presume that they will entertain suggestions regarding the use of the fund until that time comes.
Please accept my personal condolences on the loss of your friend.
Brian Engler

In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office.

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:32 AM »
Thanks Brian.  And yes, they are considering all suggestions.  You can send them to me (sgufan@sgufans.net) so I can pass them along, post suggestions here in this thread, or you can send them directly to the NESS.

Offline Larry Coon

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:35:19 PM »
Mike, just so you know, the redirect page after you donate gives a 404 error.

Offline sketchy

• Frequent Poster
  • just sketchy
    • Sketchy's Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 02:00:10 PM »
It looks like the payment redirect URL in paypal is incorrect. -- but it is taking the donations.  It could have something to do with how you are getting to the paypal site, but I've only set them up from storefronts.....

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 03:06:17 PM »
Yeah I had problems with it at first when it wasn't setup as a pop-up.   Now I'm just not sure how to fix it.  It seems to be working as far as donations going through, just the redirect doesn't work.

Offline sketchy

• Frequent Poster
  • just sketchy
    • Sketchy's Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 03:35:01 PM »
Yeah I had problems with it at first when it wasn't setup as a pop-up.   Now I'm just not sure how to fix it.  It seems to be working as far as donations going through, just the redirect doesn't work.

The return URL in the paypal settings -- Website Payment Preferences

might be messed up.?

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
Quote from: "sketchy"

The return URL in the paypal settings -- Website Payment Preferences

might be messed up.?

Hmm, maybe.  I'll see what I can do.

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 04:06:53 PM »
The issue seems to have been fixed.  Seems like you were right sketchy, thanks.

Offline Bukowski-oid

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 04:27:55 PM »
The fund for schoolkids seems like the best investment, both for the kids and to show how skepticism aims to grow into the future.
*** Best wishes to all friends of Perry DeAngelis, never forgotten ****

Offline Hubbub

• Needs to chill out.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 01:57:16 AM »
I'm curious how much money has been donated so far

Offline BrianEngler

• Off to a Start
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 01:20:59 PM »
Quote from: "Hubbub"
I'm curious how much money has been donated so far

This an old thread, I know, but since it hadn't been answered I thought I'd ask where the fund stands as 2008 begins.  The question of whether or not a particular use for the fund has yet been identified came to my mind as I listened to the 2007 year-end episode.  It wasn't mentioned in that episode, which sort of surprised me.  Is there any news?
Brian Engler

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 08:41:14 PM »
We will be using the funds to hold a Perry DeAngelis Memorial Lecture and live recording of the SGU. We plan on making this an annual event around the time of Perry's birthday and death (which were a few days apart).
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline BrianEngler

• Off to a Start
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 10:02:41 PM »
Quote from: "Steven Novella"
We will be using the funds to hold a Perry DeAngelis Memorial Lecture and live recording of the SGU. We plan on making this an annual event around the time of Perry's birthday and death (which were a few days apart).

Steven,
Excellent!! That sounds like the perfect use of the funds.  Thanks for answering.
I'll be out at TAM6 this June and look forward to once again seeing all of you.  I'll be there a day early--Wednesday the 18th.  I'm sure I won't be the only SGU fan there, so please keep all of us informed of SGU events, live recordings, or whatever else you plan.  Also, if you need any volunteers to help you out in any of these endeavors, count on me.
Brian Engler

personate-rain
personate-rain