Author Topic: Sub 2hr Marathon!  (Read 453 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Sub 2hr Marathon!
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 09:34:36 PM »
There's a pair of events here, the Paddle for Hunger and the Paddle for Keiki. The first raises money for the food bank, and the second gathers toys for poor kids, and raises money to buy toys for poor kids. They are "races" and most entrants paddle as hard as they can. But there's no time-keeping, no recording or publishing of winners, you can turn around before the buoy if the course is too long for you. It's another sporting event that's not a "competition" though you can go as hard as you like. There are no prizes for "winners" though there's a drawing for a whole lot of small things, and if you donate over a specified amount you get a t-shirt.

(Apparently I have to clarify that this kind of event need not be paddling. That happens to be my sport at present, but the same concept could be applied to pretty much any sport. My sister and I used to play non-competitive ping-pong: We just didn't keep score. We played until we got tired and then stopped.)

I'm really proud of the t-shirt I got in the Paddle for Life. Every participant who wanted one got one. For me, it symbolizes a personal accomplishment. It was a collective effort to raise money for a good cause, and it was a team effort where we supported each other to safely paddle across the channel between Maui and Lana'i. Team spirit and team cooperation and support can be directed at a physically difficult and demanding accomplishment. It doesn't have to be directed at beating another team.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Sub 2hr Marathon!
« Reply #46 on: Today at 03:17:22 AM »
Having never run (or aspired to) a marathon, I am still fascinated by them.  How in the early 1980's, no one ever took water or any "nutrition" and the world record was 2:12 and really, no one ran in those times that would not beak the three hour mark.  12 minutes in the 42.2km distance doesn't seem unacheiveable... just amazing.  And the loss of three to five kgs (of water) in the race just helps them make the last km the fastest.  The human body is incredible.

Those Kona boys finishing 2:40 runs after gruelling swims and cycle rides seems outrageous.  Might not extend their lives, but there have been a few men and women that seem to have stood on the top step of the podium more than a few times, like Paula Newby-Fraser, who trained and competed on a ketogenic diet (long before it was a "thing") and won eight championships.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

personate-rain