Author Topic: The Witness  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
Re: The Witness
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »
It is very good. It still makes me nauseated, so I can only play up to 45min-1hr. The puzzles are fantastic. The puzzles are easy, then suddenly seem impossible. Very creative

Online Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »
Glad to hear it.
Sorry about your problems with first-person. Is it all games, or something particularly shoddy about the camera in this one? You've found the 3D sensitivity and mouse-smoothing settings and fiddled with them, I hope?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Boßel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 05:32:07 PM »
Yeah, it's all games. I messed around with the settings which helped a little. I used to be able to play first-person when I was younger, but it's just so strenuous now. Frustrating

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 10:22:33 PM »
Hoo boy, finally got around to playing.  Blazed through the first few sets of puzzles but hit a brick wall on one of the desert "dungeon" ones.  On that subject ....

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »
I want so badly to complete this game without looking up any spoilers but it's getting tougher and tougher.  I believe I'm at ~210 puzzles solved with 6 independent choke points that I cannot get past.  I've been very happy with the rule reveals for almost everything except for the
(click to show/hide)

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »
Sawyer, have you found the "Nosthalgia" scene yet?

And, could you post a screenshot of the puzzles that you are stuck? If you want, I can give a mild hint that could trigger your reasoning so that you can solve the rest by yourself... That would be better than the full resolution. But, dont get frustrated if you are spending more time to solve some puzzles... This is natural. The more time you take to solve it... the higher the feeling of accomplishment you will feel when you finally get it. I think is worth to take your time. It is not as you have the obligation to finish the game tomorrow, or even this week.... hehe
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 01:47:21 AM »
Wow, that looks super cool. I want to play it, and it's super on my gift list for a certain relative who can't get enough of PC puzzle games, especially those played in first person. THANKS!
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 04:42:58 PM »
337 (+30) puzzles solved

Igor I'm going to take a break for a few days then give it another shot before cheating, but I'll go ahead and share the ones I'm stuck on.  Minor spoilers but I'm not posting solutions if others want to take a peek.

(click to show/hide)

Six lasers activated!

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 08:19:05 PM »
Arboretum interior, puzzle #4
    Look around on the floor nearby. You will find a small piece that will fit in the puzzle.

desert basement, puzzle #3
   Well, for what I remember, I did just that. Walked around while the water was moving and managed to see the reflection...

Village cellar, double puzzle.
   I think these ones are not related to any lasers or any goal. They are one of the "stand-alone" puzzles in the game. It's been more than one year since the last time I played it.... I think that one panel "creates a sound", and you should use the other panel to match that. I cant remember... But I think that they don't have a fixed answer. One is conditioned to your answer in the other.

I cant remember how I solved the other one...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:26:25 AM by Igor SMC »
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 11:01:04 AM »
For me, I think this is one of the most interesting audio logs on the entire game. It is a segment of the book by B.F. Skinner, called 'Beyond Freedom and Dignity'. What do you guys think about it?

Offline Boßel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »
For me, I think this is one of the most interesting audio logs on the entire game. It is a segment of the book by B.F. Skinner, called 'Beyond Freedom and Dignity'. What do you guys think about it?

When I encountered my first audio log I thought, "I wonder how many people completely miss these?"

Edit: to answer your question. I haven't listened yet, so I can't comment on this one.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:17:25 PM by Boßel »

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 06:59:04 PM »
Arboretum interior, puzzle #4
    Look around on the floor nearby. You will find a small piece that will fit in the puzzle.

desert basement, puzzle #3
   Well, for what I remember, I did just that. Walked around while the water was moving and managed to see the reflection...

Village cellar, double puzzle.
   I think these ones are not related to any lasers or any goal. They are one of the "stand-alone" puzzles in the game. It's been more than one year since the last time I played it.... I think that one panel "creates a sound", and you should use the other panel to match that. I cant remember... But I think that they don't have a fixed answer. One is conditioned to your answer in the other.

I cant remember how I solved the other one...

Thanks for your hints Igor.  Made it 359 puzzles in without any assistance, so I guess I'm satisfied to cheat.

Really pissed off about that 3rd desert puzzle.  I could have sworn I looked at it at the right angle before yet somehow never saw the reflection.

Rather than keep bumping this thread into oblivion, I think I'll just edit my thoughts into this post.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:37:34 PM by Sawyer »

Offline tralfaz

• Off to a Start
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
I liked it a lot when I started playing it.  It reminded me of the old Myst games.  But I have to say, when the puzzles went from real to conceptual
(click to show/hide)
I slowly lost interest.  It broke the immersion and I lost the Myst feeling.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:02:14 PM by tralfaz »

personate-rain