Author Topic: Critique this forum (technically)  (Read 3952 times)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Critique this forum (technically)
« on: February 05, 2016, 12:35:02 AM »
Please tell us how we can make this forum a better place to spout off your opinion, and read the opinions of others.

This is a place for technical criticism.  Bear in mind I am asking for technical suggestions, not changes in discussion moderation.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Critique this forum (technically)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:14:20 AM »
I really like the print view for longer threads, enabling me to cut through the nonsense and just read the posts (especially helpful in mafia).  Not really a suggestion, just a feature that I know is semi obscure, but I appreciate it.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 07:47:22 AM »
For Personal Messages:

could you set 'save a copy in my outbox' to be ticked by default?
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Online Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 09:51:13 AM »
^This.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 10:41:47 AM »
For Personal Messages:

You can do this for your account under Profile > Account Settings > Modify Profile > Personal Messaging.  I do not believe there is a way to change this for the whole board.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »
The post preview lies about embedding videos. If I try to put a youtube link into a [url][/url] tag, in preview it'll show up as a link. In the actual post it'll show up as an embedded video. It would be nice if the preview didn't lie. Pick a behavior, I don't care which, and stick to it consistently.

Also, the [noembed] tag doesn't seem to work.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:49:39 AM by Sordid »

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
For Personal Messages:

You can do this for your account under Profile > Account Settings > Modify Profile > Personal Messaging.  I do not believe there is a way to change this for the whole board.
I have fixed mine but after each crash I lost a couple of messages before I realized. Same when I first joined. But if it is not possible? Never mind.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline wastrel

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 11:34:19 AM »
The post preview lies about embedding videos. If I try to put a youtube link into a [url][/url] tag, in preview it'll show up as a link. In the actual post it'll show up as an embedded video. It would be nice if the preview didn't lie. Pick a behavior, I don't care which, and stick to it consistently.

Also, the [noembed] tag doesn't seem to work.

We had to change the embed mod we use, the old one was outdated and no longer being updated by the author.  Unfortunately, the mod we use now does not have a noembed feature.  We could try to manually add it, but modding a mod is a good recipe to have to fix it each time there is an update, which to be honest I REALLY hate doing.

I've noticed that the preview thing doesn't work, I'll have to play with that, see if I can figure out how to fix.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »
I'd like to add to this discussion the fact that SMF 2.1 is currently in beta.  When it comes out (which, I admit, may still be many months away) it will support truly responsive themes and will sport a whole new WYSIWYG editor and preview engine as well as a host of new features including a real-time messaging system.  There is an extent to which it does not make sense to put a lot of effort into modifying things which will just break with the new update.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline wastrel

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »
Excellent point

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
I personally prefer being able to have threaded conversations, but the linear forum is fine.

TapaTalk has been a usability flustercluck for me, so I don't use it. SMF doesn't do a responsive design for smaller screens, though, so while I can read on my phone, posting is really difficult. Text in the text box is illegibly tiny. Other text is vastly large.

On my iPad I'd love to be able to resize the text box.
On my Android phone I'd love to have the text box have a responsive width.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 06:07:20 PM »
Yeah, Brilligtove, I promise I'll make a lovely responsive theme for the forum when SMF 2.1 is released.  But since the theming engine is about to change completely, I can't really justify trying to cobble something together now.

Offline wastrel

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 06:15:47 PM »
Scalable themes is one of the finer features of the next version IIRC

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 06:24:19 PM »
Yeah, Brilligtove, I promise I'll make a lovely responsive theme for the forum when SMF 2.1 is released.  But since the theming engine is about to change completely, I can't really justify trying to cobble something together now.

Cool! I await the new infrastructure with baited breath.

BTW - if you guys are at all interested in some business analysis / design work to be done in preparation for the new infrastructure, I'd be happy to help out. (I'm one of the authors of version 3 of the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK® Guide).)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 09:32:05 PM »
I know we have mentioned it before but when running a game of mafia the time limit between posts is annoying as is the limit on mass pms.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

personate-rain
personate-rain