Poll

How in are you? Dates are likely June 27-June 30 ish.

Definitely in, provided I can swing timing and $$ and transport
Maybe, looks interesting, 50% likely to come.
Eeeeeh, less likely 25% likely to come.
I'm just makin' trouble, I probably won't come.

Author Topic: Skepticamp(ing)  (Read 29031 times)

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
Skepticamp(ing)
« on: February 15, 2016, 12:25:17 PM »
I would like to organize a retreat for any curious, science loving, outdoorsy folks that possibly includes Skepticamp style presentations. Kind of a blend between Skepticamp and Skeptics Under the Stars. Possible locations include Cacapon Resort State Park, WVor Ithaca NY (Gorges and a Sagan connection). We could potentially drag along an astronomer for star gazing and such. Nobody would be required to present and I was thinking that maybe a loose itinerary with group events that can be selectively participated in might be the best way to proceed.

Accommodations would be ideally cheap in cabin-style lodging but absolutely with modern amenities, and an attempt will be made to be near enough a town for food and beverage adventures.

Timeline would be late summer, early fall.. August or September perhaps?

Please share your thoughts, I am especially interested answers to the following questions:
Would anyone like to this? Definitely? Maybe? What would prevent you for doing it? What would you like to do if you would come?
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
Re: Skepticamp(ing)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »
Will there be cute boys?

I mean...this sounds like all kinds of awesome and great fun.  And of course I vote for Cacapon, but I am a known homer.  My concerns are mostly financial; also, August and September are unfortunately terrible times for me to get away, as school is starting. 

I would like to hike and chat and eat and play board games.  I have anxiety about presentations and need more info on that part.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
I would be SUPER on board with that!
What would stop me is the cost of crossing the Atlantic and my unreliable works schedule so I would be unlikely to make it.
What I would want to do- Just general outdoorsyness would be cool as those communities usually are so full of woo and conspiracy theorists and generally disappointing people.
Hell, theres enough outdoorsy woo to make more than a few talks/discussion groups.
A focus on conservation and outdoor culture as it pertains to skepticism might be really fun.
Also, y'know, booze and games and ribaldary.

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »
Will there be cute boys?....
.... I have anxiety about presentations and need more info on that part.

1. Obviously.
2. We will probably shoot for 15 minute presentations with 5 minute q&a- with wiggle room for anyone who wants to do longer or shorter presentations. We can try to have a projector and get the back room of a bar somewhere... we can also totally dispense with this part. It would be informal and to our small group- sharing things that you know a lot about to people who have intellectual curiosity.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 04:05:47 PM »
Well, awesome!
If you and Qubes are there and you want cute boys around, I can't think of much that would prevent me.
I too would prefer earlier in the year and, despite the Sagan connection and Ithaca's proximity to me, West Virginia.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 04:58:02 PM »
I've been hoping for something exactly like this to come along... I'm also into the hiking side, if any others are similar-minded. It would be tough for me to swing yet another have-to-fly-there trip this year, but I would try really hard to come because this would be a blast.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 05:42:16 PM »
Count me in.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 09:19:24 AM »
All that stuff is too far away for me, but it's just as well.  I don't consider it "camping" if there are lots of other people around.  I enjoy camping to get the hell away from other people.  Quiet, serene, peaceful nature.  With a bare minimum of humans around. 
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 09:45:07 AM »
Well gee, thanks for shitting on other people's enthusiasm for no discernible good reason.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 10:29:23 AM »
All that stuff is too far away for me, but it's just as well.  I don't consider it "camping" if there are lots of other people around.  I enjoy camping to get the hell away from other people.  Quiet, serene, peaceful nature.  With a bare minimum of humans around.

You are certainly welcome to go "real camping" alone while we all go fake camping together. Post pictures!

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 10:35:15 AM »
How would anyone feel about doing it near the end of June?

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 10:36:14 AM »
I think this would be awesome. (Provisionally) count me in!
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 10:38:58 AM »
I would like to organize a retreat for any curious, science loving, outdoorsy folks that possibly includes Skepticamp style presentations. Kind of a blend between Skepticamp and Skeptics Under the Stars. Possible locations include Cacapon Resort State Park, WVor Ithaca NY (Gorges and a Sagan connection). We could potentially drag along an astronomer for star gazing and such. Nobody would be required to present and I was thinking that maybe a loose itinerary with group events that can be selectively participated in might be the best way to proceed.

Accommodations would be ideally cheap in cabin-style lodging but absolutely with modern amenities, and an attempt will be made to be near enough a town for food and beverage adventures.

Please share your thoughts, I am especially interested answers to the following questions:
Would anyone like to this? Definitely? Maybe? What would prevent you for doing it? What would you like to do if you would come?
Airfare from the West Coast.  :'(
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 10:49:02 AM »
I think this would be awesome. (Provisionally) count me in!

What are your limiting factors?

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »

Airfare from the West Coast.  :'(

If it helps at all, I'll be driving to wherever from reasonable distance from four NY airports- I can drive a few out-of-town folks if its cheaper or easier to fly into one of them...