Author Topic: The Magicians  (Read 2068 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: The Magicians
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 12:01:37 AM »
That is how they censor stuff nowadays.  They just blot out the word - no beep.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 12:05:55 AM »
So God dammit - they went there with Julia.  I still have hopes that the show will handle it better that Les.  They kinda have so far, in that she seems like a character with her own arc, and not a foil for Q's self improvement.  And they did the hotline thing again, so at least they aren't diminishing the act.

But I still wish they hadn't gone there.  Wasn't killing all her naive friends enough?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:58:44 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 04:05:54 PM »
So God dammit - they went there with Julia.  I still have hopes that the show will handle it better that Les.  They kinda have so far, in that she seems like a character with her own arc, and not a foil for Q's self improvement.  And they did the gotline thing again, so at least they aren't diminishing the act.

But I still wish they hadn't gone there.  Wasn't killing all her naive friends enough?

boo, but please spoiler tag! (shame on me for clicking though)

But anyway, in the books, while the "going there" bothered me, what bothered me more was that Julia never seemed to rise above sidekick.  At least in the show she feels important.  I didnt watch last nights episode so I hope that it doesnt change my feeling on this.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 04:44:02 PM »
(sad horns) I second the spoilers, tag, I missed it last night and will have to catch it online.

"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
boo, but please spoiler tag! (shame on me for clicking though)

But anyway, in the books, while the "going there" bothered me, what bothered me more was that Julia never seemed to rise above sidekick.  At least in the show she feels important.  I didnt watch last nights episode so I hope that it doesnt change my feeling on this.

Yeah, that is why I am willing to give the show a bit more leash on this.  But still.....  I mean I KNEW that all was not hunky dory at the
(click to show/hide)
because I read the books......  But still upset that the went all the way there. 

(click to show/hide)

At least it wasn't as tossed off and disgusting as on Downton Abby when 
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:05:41 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 09:16:08 PM »
this just reminds me of how inconsistent the books are.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 10:44:29 PM »
At this stage of my life I'm reading more than I ever did, and almost none of it is fiction. I'm going to enjoy the show for what it is, and maybe one day, if I live long enough to become immortal, I'll consume this story in all the forms available. I'm several weeks behind at this stage - travels and all - and looking very much forward to catching up.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 07:10:09 PM »
finally watched it and I it was better than I feared from the description here.

(click to show/hide)

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 02:25:01 PM »
Read the books a while ago and thought then that they would make a pretty good series. I only started binging it the last couple of days. I'm up to Ep 9 I think.

My wife bought the first book and couldn't finish it, it pissed her off so bad. She hated Quentin's guts and wanted to see him die screaming with his orifices on fire. I picked it up and made my way through the series and talked her into reading it all the way through. She ended up enjoying it as much as I did after that.

The series has made what I feel are the necessary changes from the books to make a decent tv show. I even hate Quentin now (even though I know I'll root for him later) just like the books. If any of you are familiar with the books, there is a great Oceans 11 type scenario in the second or third book that will come across fantastic on TV if done correctly.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »
Goddamn did they step it up for the second season.  This has become must watch TV for me this go round.  Intense, funny, and emotional. 
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 09:03:27 PM »
Goddamn did they step it up for the second season.  This has become must watch TV for me this go round.  Intense, funny, and emotional.

Julias storyline is just so much

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 05:54:35 AM »
Read the books a while ago and thought then that they would make a pretty good series. I only started binging it the last couple of days. I'm up to Ep 9 I think.

My wife bought the first book and couldn't finish it, it pissed her off so bad. She hated Quentin's guts and wanted to see him die screaming with his orifices on fire. I picked it up and made my way through the series and talked her into reading it all the way through. She ended up enjoying it as much as I did after that.

The series has made what I feel are the necessary changes from the books to make a decent tv show. I even hate Quentin now (even though I know I'll root for him later) just like the books. If any of you are familiar with the books, there is a great Oceans 11 type scenario in the second or third book that will come across fantastic on TV if done correctly.
What you are describing is how I felt watching the first few episodes.
I HATED the main character. And all of the other characters actually.
I gave up on it but I may return if Im ever locked in a room with nothing but the boxset.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »
Season 2 seems to have fixed the pacing problem of season 1, at least somewhat.  the most recent episode was one of the best so far.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 10:20:01 AM »
We watched the first season over a weekend a few weeks ago and started the second and am enjoying them a lot. Didn't know they are books but bet my wife would love to read them.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 07:46:08 PM »
Shit.  I can't wait a whole summer for a new season.  Thats some crazy ass stuff.  Didn't the season just begin?
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉