Author Topic: troubleshooting my router problem  (Read 876 times)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
troubleshooting my router problem
« on: February 28, 2016, 01:21:35 PM »
So I have a router set up as a wi-fi repeater.  It was working fine, and then we had a very brief (like 2 second) brownout.  I am not sure if they are directly related, but shortly after that I noticed that while the repeater seems to connect to the main router, it is not letting me connect to the network.  The only thing I changed on the main router was turning off WPS, which should not have affected anything.

So far I tried restarting the repeater, doing a hard reset, updating the system firmware, and moving it around the apartment.  I can't get it to work.  Is it possible the brownout fried something?  anyone have any more ideas?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:30:52 PM by superdave »
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: troubleshooting my router problem
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 02:33:13 PM »
ok so the one thing i didnt try....worked.
SHould have been the first thing I tried.  I unplugged the repeater, fully rebooted the router, then plugged the repeater back in.  Now it's working.

tech... :-[
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »
ok so the one thing i didnt try....worked.
SHould have been the first thing I tried.  I unplugged the repeater, fully rebooted the router, then plugged the repeater back in.  Now it's working.

tech... :-[

Yeah I've always found that when you have an unexpected loss of power the best thing to do is to shut down the router, unplug everything, reboot the router and then plug everything back in. You almost have to treat it like you're setting it up for the first time.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 12:53:19 PM »
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~