Author Topic: American Gods TV Show?  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
American Gods TV Show?
« on: March 02, 2016, 06:07:41 PM »
I guess this has been in development for a while, but I just heard about it today:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ian-mcshane-star-american-gods-872269

I hope they manage to stick to the original storyline, but I wouldn't be opposed to Wednesday buying a bar and berating newer gods for being dirt-worshipping, hoople-head cocksuckers.   :laugh:

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
Re: American Gods TV Show?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 03:12:22 AM »
This could be great, I love Ian McShane and I love American Gods.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 03:32:22 AM »
Unpopular opinion: I did not enjoy American Gods and I never finished it.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:01:36 AM »

I finished it but was rather ho-hum about it. I really disliked that every other chapter seemed to be dedicated to introducing new characters that then never showed up again in the book. This could play well on TV, but didn’t like it in the book, it seemed masturbatory and not moving the story forward.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 11:21:44 PM »

I finished it but was rather ho-hum about it. I really disliked that every other chapter seemed to be dedicated to introducing new characters that then never showed up again in the book. This could play well on TV, but didn’t like it in the book, it seemed masturbatory and not moving the story forward.

It was the writing that turned me off. It was a while ago now, so I couldn't give you specific examples, but I remember that I put it down just after a bit where someone (presumably a god) swallowed a dude with her vagina.

That's the kind of mental image that I just don't need. That's the kind of mental image that has stuck with me ever since, even though I've forgotten every other detail.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 11:28:43 PM »
Gaiman books, in order of awesome, are Sandman, Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett and my favorite book of all time), American Gods.

The last version of American Gods I engaged with was the audible version from last year. I thought it was spectacular. In many ways it felt like a combination of Sandman and Good Omens (and Small Gods by Pratchett).

I'll watch the show.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 01:45:08 AM »
It's also similar to the Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams.
 Personally, I enjoyed Anansi Boys more.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:48:03 AM »
I found my interest in American Gods from its prose, and its nostalgic imagery. It was a very fun read. I've always thought that Good Omens would make for a phenomenal cinematic experience, but I'd be excited for somebody to try with American Gods as well; there's not much of a story to be told, but there could be all sorts of fun had with directing, producing, and acting.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 05:59:25 AM »
I absolutely love American Gods. I am so excited about this project.

...I remember that I put it down just after a bit where someone (presumably a god) swallowed a dude with her vagina.

That's the kind of mental image that I just don't need. That's the kind of mental image that has stuck with me ever since, even though I've forgotten every other detail.

Arth, that image totally stayed with me too but I count that as a point in its favour. Not that it was enjoyable or titillating, just that it was so memorable and engrossing. Like bad weather (which I enjoy if I am well-dressed and likely to survive it), I really enjoy memorable experiences even if they are challenging and difficult to manage.

My wife is reading it at the moment. My daughter is reading The Graveyard Book. I just listened to Smoke and Mirrors which also has a lot of unusual sexual content. Gaiman has quite a way with, erm, unusual sexual content.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 09:28:07 AM »
I found my interest in American Gods from its prose, and its nostalgic imagery. It was a very fun read. I've always thought that Good Omens would make for a phenomenal cinematic experience, but I'd be excited for somebody to try with American Gods as well; there's not much of a story to be told, but there could be all sorts of fun had with directing, producing, and acting.

It never occurred to me to think of a cinematic version of Good Omens. It would have to be a no-joke comedy, where all the characters play it deadly serious and completely straight, I think. Something Simon Pegg and Nick Frost would write - and maybe act in. I can see them as Aziraphale and Crowley, actually.

OK I don't know if I have ever wanted a movie version of a book before.

DAMN YOU DI! DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMN YOOOOOOOOOOU!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »
Blasphemy!!!
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 10:23:04 AM »
Here's a thing that stuck with me about American Gods. 

As a Canadian, originally from the unpopular norther parts, I am pretty sensitive to fictional representations of being cold.  Since almost all fiction is produced by people who have never been truly cold (or at least not for long enough to really get what it feels like), it almost never works. 

At the extreme, you get something like Frozen, where Anna falls in a stream in a magically cold winter, and then just gets up and walks to the store to buy a warmer dress.  Seems like no biggie to California Disney folks.  To me, it was just as jarring as if she had gotten up from the stream and floated to the store, with no further explanation of how/why the floating happened.

In the norm, you get people more put out by the inconvenience of snow than by the cold.  Or you get the wrong kind of snow for the temperature.  A whole gamut of winter details from major to minor that are usually wrong.

In American Gods, there is a scene where a character who has never been cold before, is walking into town in the extreme cold without proper cold weather gear.  And the scene WORKS.  You can really feel the cold, and the experience, and it is clear that when Gaiman moved to the midwest he learned what winter can really be like at one point.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »
I'm looking forward to the show.  I really liked the book, though I share Arth's opinion that the man eating vagina was more than a little off-putting.

ETA:  I totally agree about the walking in the cold scene, too. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:03:07 PM by Swagomatic »
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 02:13:27 PM »
Here's a thing that stuck with me about American Gods. 

As a Canadian, originally from the unpopular norther parts, I am pretty sensitive to fictional representations of being cold.  Since almost all fiction is produced by people who have never been truly cold (or at least not for long enough to really get what it feels like), it almost never works. 

At the extreme, you get something like Frozen, where Anna falls in a stream in a magically cold winter, and then just gets up and walks to the store to buy a warmer dress.  Seems like no biggie to California Disney folks.  To me, it was just as jarring as if she had gotten up from the stream and floated to the store, with no further explanation of how/why the floating happened.

In the norm, you get people more put out by the inconvenience of snow than by the cold.  Or you get the wrong kind of snow for the temperature.  A whole gamut of winter details from major to minor that are usually wrong.

In American Gods, there is a scene where a character who has never been cold before, is walking into town in the extreme cold without proper cold weather gear.  And the scene WORKS.  You can really feel the cold, and the experience, and it is clear that when Gaiman moved to the midwest he learned what winter can really be like at one point.

Is that you dad?

When I read American Gods I mentioned it to my father, and he said "Oh, all I remember from that book is a vivid description of bone-shivering cold."

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 03:10:44 PM »
I'm looking forward to the show.  I really liked the book, though I share Arth's opinion that the man eating vagina was more than a little off-putting.

ETA:  I totally agree about the walking in the cold scene, too.

I just assumed it was an accurate depiction of an already extant god character.

It never occurred to me to think of a cinematic version of Good Omens. It would have to be a no-joke comedy, where all the characters play it deadly serious and completely straight, I think. Something Simon Pegg and Nick Frost would write - and maybe act in. I can see them as Aziraphale and Crowley, actually.

OK I don't know if I have ever wanted a movie version of a book before.

DAMN YOU DI! DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMN YOOOOOOOOOOU!

The thought occurred to me like half way through reading it, and then it's all I could think about. Every scene I'm thinking "OMG this would be so much fun in a movie!" Damn me, indeed.  :-[
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

personate-rain