Author Topic: American Gods TV Show?  (Read 3527 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: American Gods TV Show?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 07:01:38 PM »
Arth, that image totally stayed with me too but I count that as a point in its favour. Not that it was enjoyable or titillating, just that it was so memorable and engrossing. Like bad weather (which I enjoy if I am well-dressed and likely to survive it), I really enjoy memorable experiences even if they are challenging and difficult to manage.

I was utterly repelled by it. It made me want to never pick up a Gaiman book again. Fortunately I resisted that and have now read a fair chunk of Sandman, which I have enjoyed.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 08:10:29 PM »
I'm looking forward to the show.  I really liked the book, though I share Arth's opinion that the man eating vagina was more than a little off-putting.

ETA:  I totally agree about the walking in the cold scene, too.

I just assumed it was an accurate depiction of an already extant god character.

I found my interest in American Gods from its prose, and its nostalgic imagery. It was a very fun read. I've always thought that Good Omens would make for a phenomenal cinematic experience, but I'd be excited for somebody to try with American Gods as well; there's not much of a story to be told, but there could be all sorts of fun had with directing, producing, and acting.

It never occurred to me to think of a cinematic version of Good Omens. It would have to be a no-joke comedy, where all the characters play it deadly serious and completely straight, I think. Something Simon Pegg and Nick Frost would write - and maybe act in. I can see them as Aziraphale and Crowley, actually.

OK I don't know if I have ever wanted a movie version of a book before.

DAMN YOU DI! DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMN YOOOOOOOOOOU!

The thought occurred to me like half way through reading it, and then it's all I could think about. Every scene I'm thinking "OMG this would be so much fun in a movie!" Damn me, indeed.  :-[
If only they'd done it while Alan Rickman was in the game.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 11:21:12 AM »
I'm looking forward to the show.  I really liked the book, though I share Arth's opinion that the man eating vagina was more than a little off-putting.

ETA:  I totally agree about the walking in the cold scene, too.

I just assumed it was an accurate depiction of an already extant god character.

I found my interest in American Gods from its prose, and its nostalgic imagery. It was a very fun read. I've always thought that Good Omens would make for a phenomenal cinematic experience, but I'd be excited for somebody to try with American Gods as well; there's not much of a story to be told, but there could be all sorts of fun had with directing, producing, and acting.

It never occurred to me to think of a cinematic version of Good Omens. It would have to be a no-joke comedy, where all the characters play it deadly serious and completely straight, I think. Something Simon Pegg and Nick Frost would write - and maybe act in. I can see them as Aziraphale and Crowley, actually.

The thought occurred to me like half way through reading it, and then it's all I could think about. Every scene I'm thinking "OMG this would be so much fun in a movie!" Damn me, indeed.  :-[
If only they'd done it while Alan Rickman was in the game.

We still have Magneto and Picard to draw on. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »

The BBC dida wonderful Radio Play version of it.  Give it a listen.  Its goooooood.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »

The BBC dida wonderful Radio Play version of it.  Give it a listen.  Its goooooood.

PANTS!, I love you. Amazon link for any others interested.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »
But we only have 14 hours to save the Earth!
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 04:00:20 PM »
But we only have 14 hours to save the Earth!

I think it's the exclamation point in your name that truly made this the perfect joke.

PANTS!             WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAA.