Author Topic: Penn Jillette Weight Loss  (Read 6862 times)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
Re: Penn Jillette Weight Loss
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2017, 06:27:34 PM »
I've been reading about diets for years, and they all have the same thing in common.

Replace foods that are calorie dense with foods that aren't, so you don't have to worry so much about portion control.

Online estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »
I've been reading about diets for years, and they all have the same thing in common.

Replace foods that are calorie dense with foods that aren't, so you don't have to worry so much about portion control.

That's not the case.  A LCHF diet replaces carbs (4cal per gram) with fat (9 cal per gram). Fats are twice as dense, calorically, as carbs.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2017, 06:41:18 PM »

That's not the case.  A LCHF diet replaces carbs (4cal per gram) with fat (9 cal per gram). Fats are twice as dense, calorically, as carbs.

hmm, good point

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2017, 11:56:47 PM »

More satiating and don't spike your fat storage hormone, insulin.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »
For what it's worth:

Made some minor modifications to my plan.

I eat breakfast and lunch that stay in line with the Furhman/Penn plan.

Basically, oatmeal and raw fruit (blueberries) for breakfast.  (coffee and tea as well.  No sugar, no cream, sometimes artificial sweetener)

Lunch is a salad (today for example: baby spinach, carrot, red bell pepper, snap peas, and a 1/4 cup of raw cashews with dressed balsamic vinegar only).  Snacks will be fruits or veg, and I drink a 100 calorie dose of whey protein after I run or other such exercise. (which I do 3-4 times a week)  I find the whey protein kills my snack cravings post workout.  Previously I would come home after a workout and destroy a plate of cheese and crackers or some such thing.  I don't seem to have those cravings with the whey protein.

A "normal" dinner.  (Last night my wife and I had grilled steaks with sautéed green beans. She's not on the diet.)

My weight loss has slowed, but it has not stopped.  I am currently at 209 after weighing 219 on January 9th and 213 on the 18th.  I use my weekends as "cheat" days, having something like bacon and eggs at breakfast instead of oatmeal but still try to have a giant filling salad at lunch.  I find it's not hard to do and seems to prevent snacking.  It will be fun to see where I am in a couple more weeks.

Honestly I wonder how much of this is just my change in drinking habits.  I've gone from several alcoholic beverages a week, to a few a month and no more than 1 per day.  Last week I had zero drinks, the week before that I had a scotch on one day and a glass of port on another.  I'm betting more than anything else, that's what has had the most impact. 

I DO feel more energetic after a couple weeks of greatly increasing my intake of vegetables and fruit.  Not sure if that's real or my imagination.
Well.  There it is.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »
Sounds like you're doing well. Best of luck, and don't give up. You might hit a plateau at some point, which is normal. The important thing is to stick with it and don't let a plateau discourage you if you do encounter one.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain