Author Topic: Mark Cushman - These Are The Voyages ST:TOS (2013-2015)  (Read 1226 times)

Offline gcason

• Seasoned Contributor
Mark Cushman - These Are The Voyages ST:TOS (2013-2015)
« on: March 22, 2016, 03:42:33 PM »
These books are for the more obsessive Star Trek fans, of which there are several on the forum.
Each volume covers one season, taking an in-depth dive into each episode. Gene Roddenberry apparently kept all his notes, memos, script versions, etc. and gave Cushman access. These are the most detailed books every written about Star Trek TOS. Cushman researched to an almost insane level and conducted his own interviews in some cases. These books should be considered an encyclopedia.

There are introductory chapters about the seasons, leading into chapters about each episode. Each chapter follows this general outline:

• Media blub and executive summary of the episode
  • Sound bites (notable quotes from the episode)
  • Author's assessment
  • The Story Behind the Story, which takes you from pitch meeting to finished shooting script. The evolution of the story is followed via memos, including who rewrote what and why
  • Pre-Production, a look at the directors, guest stars, etc.
  • Production Diary, which includes calendar days the episode was shot, some pop culture context (top album or song, top rated TV show or movie, historical events, etc.) and a day-by-day look at the production and behind the scenes. (Was Shatner counting lines, was Nimoy holding out for more pay, etc.)
  • Post Production talks about the music, the special effects, and the cost of the episode
  • Release/Reaction discusses the Nielsen Ratings for each episode and the general reaction to the episode, including fan letters and their replies from Roddenberry
  • Memories has some short blurbs from the cast, writers, or guest stars.

So, if you can't know too much about ST:TOS these are the books for you.  :)

My name is gcason and I approved this message.

Offline gcason

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Mark Cushman - These Are The Voyages ST:TOS (2013-2015)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »
They're about 700 pages each and there are Kindle versions, but no Nook version as of yet.
My name is gcason and I approved this message.

personate-rain
personate-rain