Author Topic: Is there any particular reason the politics section is visible only to members?  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
I just wonder, is there any particular reason the politics section is only visible for members? This is not intended as a critique, just a question.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
Yeah, it's so that people can discuss their political views without having to be overly worried about their boss discovering that they're in favour of slicing the throats of the bourgeoisie and collectivising the company.

Edit: A secondary reason is that we're not that keen on getting people in who just come for something in Politics that triggered them during a Google search. That's how you get Space Elves.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 06:58:26 PM by Louie »
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
Yeah, it's so that people can discuss their political views without having to be overly worried about their boss discovering that they're in favour of slicing the throats of the bourgeoisie and collectivising the company.

This makes absolute sense so me, I hope it stays that way.  Thanks for clearing that Up.  Until now I thought it was a Liberal Democrat conspiracy to keep the Skeptical Libertarians in the dark about other skeptics political agendas so they will still join the forum.  >:D

What I don't understand is why Mafia is hidden. I do remember that there was a reason but cant remember what it was or if it is still relevant, we need recruits!.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Louie

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
This makes absolute sense so me, I hope it stays that way.

It definitely will!

What I don't understand is why Mafia is hidden. I do remember that there was a reason but cant remember what it was or if it is still relevant, we need recruits!.

I have no idea - I'll have to ask Beleth. I'll get back to you.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster

Edit: A secondary reason is that we're not that keen on getting people in who just come for something in Politics that triggered them during a Google search. That's how you get Space Elves.

I understand. Makes sense. :)
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
"..that's how you get space elves" is utterly hilarious.
But now I'm curious, is there some specific meaning to that or was it just an amazing turn of phrase?
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Oh, it's real.  Someone who was more involved can explain.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Louie

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Yeah, we've... we've had Space Elves.

And by that I mean that some very confused people popped up, who appeared to genuinely believe that elves from Lord of the Rings (no, really) are zipping around the cosmos in flying saucers. And they're deities or something. I'm having trouble remembering the details, but no, I didn't spruce it up for entertainment value.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
They seem like nice people.  Completely bonkers, but benign.

Online Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
There are also these people claiming they're really dwarves.  Most of them turn out to be just ex-Amish though.
(click to show/hide)

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
I'm still waiting on the thread about moving mafia to private. I went looking and couldn't find it. It had to be around 2008 because that's when I created an account to continue reading the games.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
I'm still waiting on the thread about moving mafia to private. I went looking and couldn't find it. It had to be around 2008 because that's when I created an account to continue reading the games.

I think it was in regard to metagaming iirc.  You could read the thread without being logged in, allowing a person under pressure to read the game without anyone knowing they had checked the thread but had not posted.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time

I think it was in regard to metagaming iirc.  You could read the thread without being logged in, allowing a person under pressure to read the game without anyone knowing they had checked the thread but had not posted.

Yep, this is why.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

personate-rain