Author Topic: Forever Young, I want to be Forever Young  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Forever Young, I want to be Forever Young
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 01:05:58 PM »
The harder part is actually writing the stories. If you can put together 15 short stories by a variety of people that have been properly reworked and edited*, I think figuring out how you will split up the moneys will be a 10 minute conversation. Or it'll be longer; in any case, it'll still take waaaaaaaaaay less of your time than actually writing the stories. This is like discussing what kind of font you want to use on the birthday cake before you've even gone out and researched how much the eggs are going to cost.

*My experience is that short stories take a *lot* more rewriting than longer form narrative because any mistake and decision you make shows up far, far easier than it might in a novel (also, the sheer amount of writing you do in even one draft of a novel means that you often figure out an error you made or a decision you want to retract in the first 20 pages by, say, page 150 or so). Hemingway said that he didn't start to get happy with his drafts until I think he was on #12 or something like that. I think at the very *least* you should expect to need to completely revise them 6 or 7 times apiece.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Re: Forever Young, I want to be Forever Young
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 05:18:24 PM »
So now that we agree that creativity is hard, and have dealt with a few of the concerns that can block creative people from letting out their imaginations to range free and in public, let's get to it. I mean, I'm not looking at setting deadlines or anything. Just seeing if we can put together a coherent structure and start tossing ideas around. If nobody cares to have some fun taking a stab at fiction writing, that's fine. If some do, that's fine too.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain