Author Topic: Tesla Model 3  (Read 10287 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Tesla Model 3
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2019, 06:31:59 PM »
Perhaps I should have said ‘irrational’ rather than ‘ridiculous’; as a rule I do not invalidate the emotions people express to me, and I encourage people to embrace and express their emotions without judgement.  But I understood Brilligtove to be speaking hypothetically, and so I did not feel it necessary to take such care. That said, part of our job as skeptics is to learn to differentiate between the rational and the irrational and to overcome emotions that lead to irrationality. This is such a case, and I think it is important to recognize that.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2019, 12:00:36 AM »
But that is a ridiculous thing to feel...

The thing about feelings is that they’re not necessarily rational.

I think brilligtove did a good job in explaining the roots of some of these feelings, with complicated roots in psychology, sociology and even economics. As such, dismissing such feelings as “ridiculous” is a bit dismissive.

And a company which doesn’t frame these things properly may provoke negative feelings about their product, rational or not.

I know the fellow mentioned upstream who had his tires mounted whitewall-in thought my boss Eli was a jerk for doing so, and may have decided to not do business with such a person in the future.
I agree with The Latinist that the feelings are ridiculous. I also agree with you that feelings are inherently ridiculous.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2019, 04:15:17 PM »
I have a general electric car question?

If you have a business and you have a property where you need to drive around it but really just a few miles per day. Is an electric vehicle perfect for that role? I am assume that low speed, an electric car does not have an idle consumption like a gas powered vehicle.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2019, 05:08:42 PM »
What factors are important to you for those few miles a day?

I mean a cheap used old car / truck might be just as perfect as a brand spanking new $80,000 EV, and given it's only a few miles/day running costs are not high in either case.

What are your criteria for "perfect"?

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2019, 08:49:00 PM »
I have a general electric car question?

If you have a business and you have a property where you need to drive around it but really just a few miles per day. Is an electric vehicle perfect for that role? I am assume that low speed, an electric car does not have an idle consumption like a gas powered vehicle.

As Alex says, if you're just driving a few miles a day, the cost of any new car is not worth it. And most gas cars these days don't burn much gas when idling. However, a golf cart might suit you if you're just driving aroud your business property. But it is true that when an EV is not moving it's consuming almost no energy. Just keeping the electronics running.

The more miles you drive, the more advantage an EV has over a gas car. Until you reach the range limit of the car. Except that with a Tesla you can go any distance if your trip is on the major highways where the superchargers are. I could not drive a Leaf from Spokane to Seattle, but with my Tesla it will be a breeze.

Again, to your question, for very low mileage driving, get a reliable used econobox. Or if you don't need to leave your private property, consider an electric golf cart.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2019, 09:06:42 PM »
I was more asking about the future.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2019, 09:38:44 PM »

EVs are the future.  8)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2019, 12:18:26 AM »
For the kind of usage you're talking about, Desert Fox, wouldn't an electric golf cart be adequate if not ideal?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2019, 12:22:39 AM »
Now or next decade, same questions. What is it you need?

I've no idea if you are talking about smooth tarmac in a business park and need a luxury bus for moving guests around in comfort, or need to navigate lumpy muddy boggy paddocks to get to the other end of the farm to fix a fence.

What are the criteria that matter?

Up front cost?
Running costs?
Cool looks?
Suitability for the task (whatever that is)?
etc

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2019, 01:31:07 AM »
For the kind of usage you're talking about, Desert Fox, wouldn't an electric golf cart be adequate if not ideal?

You should theoretically be right but have seen many cases where small cars or trucks are used in that role.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2019, 07:15:49 AM »

You should theoretically be right but have seen many cases where small cars or trucks are used in that role.

But you didn't originally ask what others have used. Lots of people use big SUVs for city driving with zero passengers. Absolutely the worst possible choice. And they're more common than fleas on a two-dollar dog. You asked if an electric car would be a good choice. As Alex pointed out, the answer really depends on what you're using it for, the terrain, and whether cost matters.

Clarify your use conditions and criteria and we'll be able to make suggestions.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2019, 09:49:19 AM »
The post was inspired by watching people drive around the job site in ford rangers and other small vehicles - My understanding is that they don't drive a ton of miles a day. Granted, I hope within 10 or so years they shut down (Coal related).
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain