Author Topic: Tesla Model 3  (Read 9458 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Tesla Model 3
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2018, 10:27:07 PM »
And how do Aussies mangle it?

The correct way.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2018, 11:20:43 PM »
So same as us, got it, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2018, 11:38:50 PM »

So long as you're pronouncing it right, sure.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2018, 12:52:26 AM »

So long as you're pronouncing it right, sure.

The computerised voice is close, but a little off for my liking  ???

Eem-You is the correct way to pronounce it. Never E-Moo. That's worse than fingernails down a blackboard  ???

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »
For what it's worth,

BMW and Porsche Announce an EV Charger That Gives 100 Kilometers of Range in 3 Minutes

https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/advanced-cars/bmw-and-porsche-announce-an-ev-charger-that-gives-100-kilometers-of-range-in-3-minutes

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
For what it's worth,

BMW and Porsche Announce an EV Charger That Gives 100 Kilometers of Range in 3 Minutes

https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/advanced-cars/bmw-and-porsche-announce-an-ev-charger-that-gives-100-kilometers-of-range-in-3-minutes

And there are no cars capable of taking advantage of that 450 kW charger. The BMW can only take 50, and there are promises of a car some day being able to take 150 kW. So, yes, somebody built a charger more powerful than Tesla’s, but Tesla cars can actually use Tesla’s chargers.

That 450 kW charger needs cooling for the cable, and the car needs significant cooling for the batteries, which is why no car today can accept more than 1/9 of the charger’s capacity. A three-minute charge sounds nice, but it remains to be seen whether the cost of a car that can utilize that will justify the small improvement in convenience. My Tesla is so convenient that if they offered a 3-minute charging capability for an extra $3,000 (for the additional needed hardware) I probably would pass on it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »
VW is still saying they’ll start production on a sub-$30K AWD electric crossover in 2019.  They say the car will be ‘level-5 capable,’ but will not be able to be run in fully autonomous mode at release due to ‘regulatory hurdles.’ I take that to mean that they’ll have adequate sensors and a computer, but won’t have the software ready. They also say the RWD base model will start at around $21K.

Also?  Why don’t we use kilodollars in pricing?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »
VW is still saying they’ll start production on a sub-$30K AWD electric crossover in 2019.  They say the car will be ‘level-5 capable,’ but will not be able to be run in fully autonomous mode at release due to ‘regulatory hurdles.’ I take that to mean that they’ll have adequate sensors and a computer, but won’t have the software ready. They also say the RWD base model will start at around $21K.

Given the present state of the technology, I assume that VW means that the car will have adequate hardware for Level 5 operation, unless they’re just outright lying. I don’t think anyone has Level 5 software yet. Tesla claimed my Model 3 had all the hardware needed for L5 operation, but then had to back off and admit the computer was not adequate. People who paid for the “FSD” package will get an upgraded computer at no extra charge.

Another critical question is Will they try to meet all the demand, or will they just make a small number of cars to make it look as though they’re doing something? And how reliable is their claim of a date when the cars will go on sale?

I don’t trust any claims (even Tesla’s) about future products.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2018, 11:28:44 PM »
That’s my assessment of the state of thechnology and trying to parse the corporate double-speak. They’ve got the car driving autonomously on a closed circuit and in a limited test area, but we’re someway off from go-anywhere autonomous driving.

As for production, they’ve given numbers: they plan to produce 150,000 electric vehicles for the 2020 model year, and 5 million per year by 2025, which would be about half their current annual production. They’ve also started talking about the schedule for switching over certain factories to electric car production.  We’ll see whether they can meet those targets, but I at least doubt that they’ll have the tooling and production issues that Tesla had.

They’ve also got a cooperation agreement with Ford that probably see them selling Ford their electric power train. They’re also said to be interested in the new Ford Ranger platform; it’d be interesting to see VW produce an electric version of the Ranger.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:30:47 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2019, 01:31:34 AM »
They also say the RWD base model will start at around $21K.

You just did.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2019, 03:42:01 PM »
"To start 2019, Tesla is turning out more than 4,700 Model 3s each week. The electric-car maker has emerged from its year of existential uncertainty as one of the most valuable car companies in the world, with a stock value greater than Ford Motor Co., General Motors Co., BMW AG and, depending on the day of the week, Daimler AG."

Tesla’s Life After Hell: 7 Charts Show Musk on Firmer Footing

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2019, 08:17:47 PM »
"To start 2019, Tesla is turning out more than 4,700 Model 3s each week. The electric-car maker has emerged from its year of existential uncertainty as one of the most valuable car companies in the world, with a stock value greater than Ford Motor Co., General Motors Co., BMW AG and, depending on the day of the week, Daimler AG."

Tesla’s Life After Hell: 7 Charts Show Musk on Firmer Footing

4,700 cars per week may sound impressive.  But then, the Ford Motor Company Tesla is supposedly worth more than produced nearly 130,000 vehicles per week.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2019, 05:01:45 PM »
A friend just drove me around in his new Model 3.  First time I've been inside of one.  Pretty nice but I found myself thinking $50k is too much.  (full disclosure, I was looking at $10k bicycles on a website earlier today, but not seriously).

He said the autopilot package was included, and it came with a one-month plan, but if he wanted to keep it he would have to pay an additional $5k and he decided not to.

I just thought that was an odd way to sell autopilot - it's already in there, it's not a service.  Maybe it's cheaper to put it in all the cars instead of having two different trim packages and sell a cheaper version?  Maybe they figure people will turn it on after initially deciding not to?
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2019, 05:21:07 PM »
I just thought that was an odd way to sell autopilot - it's already in there, it's not a service.  Maybe it's cheaper to put it in all the cars instead of having two different trim packages and sell a cheaper version?  Maybe they figure people will turn it on after initially deciding not to?

That would leave a bad taste in my mouth. That is, crippling something that’s already there.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2019, 08:25:46 PM »
Autopilot is a feature that cost a lot of money to develop. Tesla decided to put the hardware in all the cars, and activate the software if you pay for the feature. If you choose not to pay for the feature, you lose nothing, and the resale value of your car is increased by the fact that a future buyer can choose to pay for and activate the feature.

Why would you feel bad that a feature you didn't pay for when you bought the car can be activated at any time in the future? Do you feel that the company owes you features you didn't pay for? Should every car company give the top trim line to buyers who only pay for the base model?

Tesla does not "cripple" the car. Tesla offers you for $5,000 the best driver-assist package currently available in any car sold to the general public (under the misleading name of "autopilot"). You can choose to buy it or not. And they let buyers try it out for free for a month! If you don't buy it you still have an amazing car. (But it's a lot more amazing with autopilot.)

Tell me one other auto compay that will let you try out their top-of-the-line "autopilot" package for free for a month before deciding if you want to buy it. Full disclosure: I knew I wanted it when I bought the car. It took me a few weeks to get used to. I miss the car terribly and look forward eagerly to when I have my own home here on Maui and can ship my Model 3 over and get rid of the Prius.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain