Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
« on: April 07, 2016, 08:40:46 AM »
Trailer ahoy:

"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 09:31:38 AM »
I'm impressed. After the Force Reawakens I'm excited to see something back in the time line of the original trilogy.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 11:34:34 AM »
that trailer was totally boring to me.  It's sort of the prequel problem, I just don't get excited for stories where I know what the outcome is.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 12:45:27 PM »
I, for one, am excited.

I was cautiously optimistic for TFA...and went to see it three times in the theater.  My wife picked up the BluRay the morning it came out (at like 2AM...she's a nurse working night shift so on her nights off she sometimes shops at Walmart).  I wasn't sure what this one would be like, but I'm excited.

Honestly, though...I had secretly hoped that with a title like that they might have asked Micheal Stackpole what kind of story to use.  Still, this looks good.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 12:55:58 PM »
I, for one, am excited.

I was cautiously optimistic for TFA...and went to see it three times in the theater.  My wife picked up the BluRay the morning it came out (at like 2AM...she's a nurse working night shift so on her nights off she sometimes shops at Walmart).  I wasn't sure what this one would be like, but I'm excited.

Honestly, though...I had secretly hoped that with a title like that they might have asked Micheal Stackpole what kind of story to use.  Still, this looks good.
fwiw I did enjoy TFA and will probably see Rogue One, but it's not going to be an opening weekend thing for me.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 12:58:26 PM »
Don't get me wrong...TFA wasn't the best movie I saw last year.  Hell, it wasn't even the best new sci-fi I saw last year.  But for it's flaws I still really enjoyed it more than any other movie I saw last year.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 01:00:01 PM »
Yeah Rogue One looks cool. Then again, I'm reminded the Phantom Menace trailer made it look like the greatest star wars movie ever.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 01:22:53 PM »
Meh, it looks okay.  I think now that we've seen Force Awakens, we know how these new movies will flow and feel, and I was never all that interested in all these side story movies. 

I'm still a little concerned that this will lead to oversaturation and diminishing the impact of the overall franchise and original stories.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 04:18:55 PM »
So they're gonna start pumping 'em out now that they bought the IP? I get it, and I'd rather see more of this universe than yet another Marvel or DC movie, it's just i'd rather see some fresh IP than all of them combined.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 05:17:25 PM »
I, for one, am excited.

Ditto with Stackpole.  Just recently reread X wing and still love it.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 12:04:48 AM »
It looks interesting.

My wish is that they link the movies and have the plans for the Death Star given to Leia at the very end of the movie as she's boarding her ship on the way to Tatooine.
It would be a way to get R2D2 and C3PO into the movie. They haven't missed a movie yet.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 09:01:55 AM »
So they're gonna start pumping 'em out now that they bought the IP? I get it, and I'd rather see more of this universe than yet another Marvel or DC movie, it's just i'd rather see some fresh IP than all of them combined.

That's what I want more than anything. 

The longer they keep re-doing existing franchises, the more frequently they mess 'em up, and the higher the chances are of another Batman & Robin or grisly Fantastic Four or Abrams Star Trek shitfest or Star Wars Episode I. 

I think it's better to leave people wanting than to over-deliver and ruin a franchise. 
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 12:45:35 PM »

That's what I want more than anything. 

The longer they keep re-doing existing franchises, the more frequently they mess 'em up, and the higher the chances are of another Batman & Robin or grisly Fantastic Four or Abrams Star Trek shitfest or Star Wars Episode I. 

I think it's better to leave people wanting than to over-deliver and ruin a franchise. 

On the other hand, this idea borrows minimally from existing IP. Just the setting. They're new characters, even fresh talent, which I like. Disney can use the "story" branch to explore little pockets of the universe that you'd never see otherwise. So new ideas COULD happen...
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 12:58:20 PM »
As someone that read most, if not all of the Extended Universe books, I kinda thing they are doing a great thing here.  It's like Superhero movies that have moved forward into other categories.  I mean, I know Ant-man is an existing character...but the movie was a heist flick.  Winter Soldier was a political action/drama...kinda spy thrillery.

I think it's a really good thing to take an existing universe and put new and interesting stories/characters into it.  I mean really, isn't all new IP story ideas just wedging ideas into an already existing universe? Usually one based more-or-less on the universe we all live in.  The Star Wars Universe (or Marvel or DC or the Potterverse etc.etc.) area really just settings.  Sure, if you tell the same story over and over it's as boring as whale shit.  But when you can adapt that location to tell either a fully new story or at least a new take on an old story...or mixing stories into new universes then you are really just opening up entirely new IP.  I was OK with TFA being basically a newer re-telling of A New Hope as kind of a do-over.  I just hope JJ doesn't stick to that theme going forward.  At least this new movie looks like it's breaking from that.

I mean, what I considered the best two movies of last year out of the ones I watched...both are stories which have been told before, more or less.  Straight Outta Compton is based on a known story that actually took place...not exactly original.  Ex-Machina wasn't new in any real sense from a storytelling perspective.  Especially for those that read Asimov, Dick et.al.  I still really enjoyed the movie.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 11:43:04 AM »
"Stories" could be as "The Animatrix" was to "The Matrix".

Did Disney just drop this idea on the world when the trailer dropped? I don't pay slavish attention to what's up-and-coming in movies, I'm wondering if the Star Wars fanboys and -girls knew about "Stories" before the trailer?

personate-rain