Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)  (Read 4792 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2017, 06:58:46 PM »
Maybe they were like the Flying Tigers somewhat?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2017, 07:07:18 PM »
Stonesean's post sums up why I don't get the love for FA.  It was ok, maybe 6/10 but I seem to be in the minority.

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
the prequels were just so bad that people are happy with reasonably competent movies.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »
Maybe they were like the Flying Tigers somewhat? 

That would have been terrific.  Volunteers to take on the First Order to give the Republic non attribution. 

I would have even liked for to be maybe the military arm of the Rebellion is so loyal to General Leia that they were "rebelling" against the Republic who didn't really consider the First Order a threat.  That threat becomes very real and Leia is vindicated once Starkiller Base is operational.

Make the crazy Han/Finn monster chase scene 60 seconds shorter and add one minute of dialogue with Leia and some other folks and they could have raised the stakes and painted a more complete picture easily.

Stonesean's post sums up why I don't get the love for FA.  It was ok, maybe 6/10 but I seem to be in the minority.

The problems with the story were mitigated by what AH mentioned.

The prequels seemed like Lucas was TRYING to make a "Star Wars" movie and not entirely succeeding.  There are many sequences in the prequels that are terrific, but dispersed among many bad sequences as well.  Also: "Duel of The Fates" from Phantom Menace might be my favorite piece of John Williams music. Period.

Force Awakens was not an attempt at a Star Wars movie, it  WAS a Star Wars movie.  The "magic" that was lacking in the prequels for me was there in FA.  Plus, (insert member berries voice here) Chewie was always my favorite and he had a prominent role.   I'd probably give it a 7.9-8/10.  I liked it better than AH.

That "magic" was also there in Rogue One.  And I totally LOVED the "Dirty Dozen" vibe I got from the last 1/3rd of the movie.  A suicide mission that was actually a suicide mission.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:35:33 AM by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2017, 09:45:11 AM »
There was a reason Mos had it, but that was trimmed out. Maybe the expensive version will show it?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2017, 11:33:32 AM »
The Novelization might fill in some plot holes. . . . .Why can't the drop the price after a couple of years of eBooks though?
It is $9.99 for an eBook at Amazon. . . .I just ordered a used hardcover on AbeBooks for $3.48.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:35:37 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
The Novelization might fill in some plot holes. . . . .
(click to show/hide)
Not an excuse, the film should be whole but FA depends way to much on the audience's filling in the blanks and accepting that the film is just a prologue.  IMHO, that sort of thing is fine for a tv show but a film should be whole.  Obviously just a matter of opinion.   

More carping about the Star Wars and the Force Awakens below. 
(click to show/hide)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »
The novelization does make the Resistance' relationship to the New Republic clearer, and scenes were filmed that would have helped but which were cut because, I think, they were worried that they were too "prequel-y."

The only thing that I found really intriguing in the novelization was
(click to show/hide)
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2017, 05:58:36 PM »
Foster in an interesting choice for the novel because he ghostwrote the novelization for Star Wars: A New Hope.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2017, 11:22:03 PM »
I finally got to see it last night. I had to wait until I could buy it on iTunes.

I really enjoyed it. A solid 9/10

I agree with most of the comments I've just read through.

(click to show/hide)

Hopefully the rest of the one off SW movies are as good.

I'd probably rate this the 3rd or 4th best Star Wars movie. I need to watch The Force Awakens again to see whether that is still my 3rd favourite

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2017, 11:48:59 PM »
Saw works if you catch the entire story on him. It's scattered around the movie so it's not easy to connect the dots.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain