Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)  (Read 4806 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 12:32:08 PM »
As someone that read most, if not all of the Extended Universe books, I kinda thing they are doing a great thing here.  It's like Superhero movies that have moved forward into other categories.  I mean, I know Ant-man is an existing character...but the movie was a heist flick.  Winter Soldier was a political action/drama...kinda spy thrillery.

This is my feeling.  I really do hope they are able to genre mix and inject some innovation into SW.  Not that TFA is bad, but like Ant-Man, I hope these side movies keep the universe fresh.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 05:25:50 PM »
My question is what is going to happen when they run out of " Death Stars" to blow up
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 05:40:22 PM »
My question is what is going to happen when they run out of " Death Stars" to blow up

That's the same Death Star from A New Hope, so... ?
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 08:20:42 PM »

I think of them as nuclear weapons so they could plagiarize the Cold War and all its high-stakes insanity and I feel like it'd really work. 

A New Hope - Fat Man/Little Boy

Return of the Jedi - Thermonuclear Warheads

The Force Awakens - MIRV ICBM
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »
So they're gonna start pumping 'em out now that they bought the IP? I get it, and I'd rather see more of this universe than yet another Marvel or DC movie, it's just i'd rather see some fresh IP than all of them combined.

That's what I want more than anything. 

The longer they keep re-doing existing franchises, the more frequently they mess 'em up, and the higher the chances are of another Batman & Robin or grisly Fantastic Four or Abrams Star Trek shitfest or Star Wars Episode I. 

I think it's better to leave people wanting than to over-deliver and ruin a franchise. 

On the other hand, this idea borrows minimally from existing IP. Just the setting. They're new characters, even fresh talent, which I like. Disney can use the "story" branch to explore little pockets of the universe that you'd never see otherwise. So new ideas COULD happen...

New ideas do not guarantee asses in movie theater seats.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 12:32:16 PM »
So they're gonna start pumping 'em out now that they bought the IP? I get it, and I'd rather see more of this universe than yet another Marvel or DC movie, it's just i'd rather see some fresh IP than all of them combined.

The longer they keep re-doing existing franchises, the more frequently they mess 'em up, and the higher the chances are of another Batman & Robin or grisly Fantastic Four or Abrams Star Trek shitfest or Star Wars Episode I. 

I think it's better to leave people wanting than to over-deliver and ruin a franchise. 

On the other hand, this idea borrows minimally from existing IP. Just the setting. They're new characters, even fresh talent, which I like. Disney can use the "story" branch to explore little pockets of the universe that you'd never see otherwise. So new ideas COULD happen...

Sure, but we were talking about what we'd rather personally. I don't have to give a shit what puts asses in seats, cos I'm not a studio exec.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »
I personally dont care about the newness of IP (in fact, I love seeing a great movie and finding out theres more of the same world I can explore), as much as how good an individual story is. Pacific Rim was new, but I enjoyed Pantsformers more.
On principle though, I want new creators to be given a chance to show us what they have got l, instead of being pressed into an assembly line job for the privilege of pursuing their art.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »

Sure, but we were talking about what we'd rather personally. I don't have to give a shit what puts asses in seats, cos I'm not a studio exec.

My comment was more that, while I would also like more new ideas, people in general seem to gravitate towards what's familiar.  What little I have experienced in the expanded Star Wars universe, along with the regular movies is quite a bit of recycled material and concepts.  The Battle of Hoth alone has worked its way into so many video games, for instance.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 11:48:49 AM »
As someone that read most, if not all of the Extended Universe books, I kinda thing they are doing a great thing here.  It's like Superhero movies that have moved forward into other categories.  I mean, I know Ant-man is an existing character...but the movie was a heist flick.  Winter Soldier was a political action/drama...kinda spy thrillery.

Winter Soldier was an excellent Jason Bourne sequel....
Well.  There it is.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 10:45:56 AM »
Giving this a bump, anyone going opening weekend?
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline Baffled Scientist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »
Just back from seeing it here in Paris with the family. Wednesday openings means we get a head start here...
Really enjoyed it. A solid 4 stars out of five. It plays out a bit like a 60s/70s WWII war movie (even down to some rebels decked-out in WWII GI outfits), but there's nothing wrong with that.
The final act is spectacular to watch - a beautiful setting and more space action by far than in Episode VII. In that film the FX were great but it added up to very little in terms of screen time - nearly all the flying action was shown in the three trailers - but here there's much more.
I didn't really notice the music but that may be just me. In Ep VII I didn't really notice the score first time round but now I love those themes so maybe it's going to be the same here.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 09:59:30 PM »
I have some free tickets from work for AMC and going to try to see it this weekend.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Baffled Scientist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 07:57:59 AM »
With a bit of time to reflect on the movie a couple more likes/dislikes:

(click to show/hide)

I think one of the interesting things about this movie is how it's going to influence the way you see A New Hope next time around - changing the context of something that's so familiar, making it a continuation of a story that was previously only a few lines of yellow text scrolling up the screen.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2016, 09:35:56 AM »
Saw it last night with some work folks.  My initial reactions are behind the cut, but I'll be seeing it again this afternoon without the 3D and will probably have a better sense of it after that.

(click to show/hide)

Overall, I'm going to give it 4 out of 5 wookies.

ETA: It holds up under a second viewing; the first act is still the shakiest, but the third act makes up for it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:20:59 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 07:38:57 PM »
It looks a good movie to read the novelization for
It also appears to be a movie where you gain from a second viewing.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain