Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)  (Read 5423 times)

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 07:53:37 PM »
I thought it was terrific! Overall, a really good war movie, Star Wars or not. I do agree with above comments about the Forest Whitaker character, however.

Also:

(click to show/hide)

The Imperial droid was fantastic. One of my favorite Star Wars characters now.
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2016, 02:36:49 AM »
I'm a solid 4.5/5 though I'm know I tend to be overly generous immediately after watching a fun movie with no glaring errors that excites me. 

(click to show/hide)

I think this first entry into non episode Star Wars movies is very promising for the rest to come, though I'm still not sure about a young Han Solo movie. 

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2016, 04:54:20 AM »
I found the fan service very jarring.
Too many winks, too many cameos and one CGI character was totally unnecessary.
Despite that, I loved the film.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 06:07:42 AM »

This totally baffles me.  Would you elaborate a bit on what things you felt were out of place and jarring?  I mean, the CGI character you reference could have easily not been included (and maybe should have be excluded based on the level of uncanny valley), but beyond that I felt it all pretty much fit.

Online Harry Black

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 07:17:14 AM »

This totally baffles me.  Would you elaborate a bit on what things you felt were out of place and jarring?  I mean, the CGI character you reference could have easily not been included (and maybe should have be excluded based on the level of uncanny valley), but beyond that I felt it all pretty much fit.
"Ive got a bad feeling..."
Really did not work for me. Yeah. I get it, this is star wars, but let me enjoy this story and stop taking me out of it to remind me of other stories.
The constant use of the word "hope". Yeah. Again, I get it, the next film is A New Hope.
(click to show/hide)
The Rogue One name drop was really clumsy.
These are minor things but broke the flow of the story for me and I otherwise really enjoyed it.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
It looks like the novelization but give more backstory. . . .It is $15 for an ebook though.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »

"Ive got a bad feeling..."
Really did not work for me. Yeah. I get it, this is star wars, but let me enjoy this story and stop taking me out of it to remind me of other stories.
The constant use of the word "hope". Yeah. Again, I get it, the next film is A New Hope.
(click to show/hide)
The Rogue One name drop was really clumsy.
These are minor things but broke the flow of the story for me and I otherwise really enjoyed it.

Ah, OK.  I can see those points though I honestly didn't even think about the hope thing connecting to Ep IV's title.  My only exception being:

(click to show/hide)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
It was interesting to watch the film with a completely unspoiled colleague.  For one thing, until about an hour before the film, he thought he was going to be seeing Rey and Finn and Luke.  That, in my opinion, is a massive marketing failure on Disney's part: they should have been selling this as a prequel (without using the word) for months and clearly differentiated it from the saga.  For another, he was completely lost throughout the film; he kept leaning over to ask me who people were and he really had no idea what was going on.  He thought Jyn was Leia for about half the film.  This is not a stupid man—but the pacing, the frequent cuts, and the lack of exposition left him utterly baffled by the first half of the film.  Now, I was very spoiled and found it easy to follow, but I have to wonder how many people were like my colleague in this.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2016, 04:30:42 PM »
When the gaming group I was with used to play Star Wars, we tried to stay as far away from the movie main characters as possible.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2016, 01:02:22 AM »
As I will not see this for at least a week thank you for continuing use of spoiler tags.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Harry Black

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2016, 04:20:10 AM »
It was interesting to watch the film with a completely unspoiled colleague.  For one thing, until about an hour before the film, he thought he was going to be seeing Rey and Finn and Luke.  That, in my opinion, is a massive marketing failure on Disney's part: they should have been selling this as a prequel (without using the word) for months and clearly differentiated it from the saga.  For another, he was completely lost throughout the film; he kept leaning over to ask me who people were and he really had no idea what was going on.  He thought Jyn was Leia for about half the film.  This is not a stupid man—but the pacing, the frequent cuts, and the lack of exposition left him utterly baffled by the first half of the film.  Now, I was very spoiled and found it easy to follow, but I have to wonder how many people were like my colleague in this.
Yep. Same with my cinema buddy.
Just a note at the start "This story takes place 30 years before the events of The Force Awakens" would get everyone on the same page.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2016, 07:51:23 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Also, yes.  People who are not particularly interested in the Star Wars Universe but want a fun night out at a Star Wars movie will be confused by the timeline.  The marketing not being clear was a mistake.  That being said, this movie will still make a billion dollars even with faulty marketing.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:05:28 AM by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.

Online Harry Black

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2016, 08:57:53 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Also, yes.  People who are not particularly interested in the Star Wars Universe but want a fun night out at a Star Wars movie will be confused by the timeline.  The marketing not being clear was a mistake.  That being said, this movie will still make a billion dollars even with faulty marketing.
(click to show/hide)

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2016, 09:13:52 AM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I am 100% certain the droid appearance was only to keep the streak of them appearing in every Star Wars movie alive.  A bit of goofy indulgence.  Which is fine, because that movie is the darkest Star Wars has ever gotten, so a bit of goofy sprinkled in doesn't bother me.
Well.  There it is.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »
I hate the spoiler tag but here it goes:

(click to show/hide)
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows